DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #796 of 2,804
I don't think it refers to 240.
I do actually hear differences with the filters unlike any other dap I've had
Same filter selection as my R6 2020 with the mobile version ESS chip. Easy for me to hear those as well. I tend to like min phase slow on that player. What's your preference here?

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #797 of 2,804
Is the line out of the amp1 mk3 a 'proper' line out so to speak?

Should be, in theory, since it is a dedicated rather than shared 3.5mm LO.

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #798 of 2,804
Same filter selection as my R6 2020 with the mobile version ESS chip. Easy for me to hear those as well. I tend to like min phase slow on that player. What's your preference here?
The linear apodizing n5 seems most natural, but the dap is burning in.
So, is the burn in adapter as good as plugin headphones?

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #802 of 2,804
Well there you go. That's why it sounds broken.
Thanks , I didn't know about this instructions.
Anyway I doubt if this is a real NOS filter since the 9038pro doesn't have inherent NOS and in reality no D/S modulating DAC can be NOS.
But we can discuss this elsewhere because we are out of topic.

Regarding the 9038prp

Oversampling Filter (OSF) Bypass
The oversampling FIR filter can be bypassed using bypass_osf in Register 37: Programmable FIR Configuration, sourcing
data directly into the IIR filter. The audio input should be oversampled at 8 x fs rate when OSF is bypassed to have the same
IIR filter bandwidth as PCM audio sampled at fs rate. For example, a signal with 44.1kHz sample rate can be oversampled
externally to 8 x 44.1kHz = 352.8kHz and then applied to the serial decoder in either I2S, LJ, or RJ format. The maximum
sample rate that can be applied is 1.536MHz (8 x 192kHz).
IIR Filter
Four filters with cutoffs at 47kHz, 50kHz, 60kHz, and 70kHz scaled by fs/44100 are selectable via iir_bw in Register 7: Filter.

Regarding the CS43198 NOS filter, of course it is not really NOS as you can read at the end of this manual.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...oQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hysXT8EfpoRfvk9IR8YxR

This explains what they are doing in Gustard and they call it NOS.

BTW the notation NOS is wrong.
We are talking about non - upsampling DAC if we need to be correct with engineering.
Oversampling is used during the recording procedure.

Real NOS is for example my DAC.

https://www.lab12.gr/product/dac1-reference/

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #803 of 2,804
I hope it was burned in (around 200 hours) as to me, it is absolutely excellent. Very musical and makes the SR2 and the Utopia sing. For me, the only way the HD650 sound decent is balanced. I don't enjoy them at all any other way but frankly I would pay a little more and get a far superior SR2 headphones or there are some other good choices, even the HD600 are better IMO.
As in ibasso SR2 headphones? May I ask which earpads you are running on your pair? Also which digital filter do you use on the Dx240?
I've only listened to the sr2 for less than an hour on the dx240 and I was not feeling the synergy, oddly...I may need to experiment with different players. Or maybe it was just a bad night..

I'll chime in about the cases and say I also prefer the silicone case. The green leather case is really nice to look and at but somehow feels awkward in my hand. I also greatly value the tactile bumps of the silicone playback buttons. I guess the leather case will be there for when the silicone one perishes

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #804 of 2,804
Got to say I’m loving this DAP. Paired with the Z1R on the Amp8 it’s a nice match.
79D8E7B4-FCD7-4552-BE08-59A4745CEC52.jpeg

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #805 of 2,804
Got to say I’m loving this DAP. Paired with the Z1R on the Amp8 it’s a nice match.
Ok something I’m picking up with this DAP/IEM combination.
Only really been using this DAP for about 8 hours so far. Brand new DAP, brand new Amp 8, year old Z1R.

I have hires rips of several Pink Floyd albums (FLAC 16bit 44.1khz 736 kbps file) playing on Mango OS and I’m picking up considerable sound floor hiss through these IEMs.

Have tried all the different digital filters and high gain low gain but no difference.

Just wondering if this a burn in issue or the DAP/IEM pairing issue/sensitivity?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #806 of 2,804
Ok something I’m picking up with this DAP/IEM combination.
Only really been using this DAP for about 8 hours so far. Brand new DAP, brand new Amp 8, year old Z1R.

I have hires rips of several Pink Floyd albums (FLAC 16bit 44.1khz 736 kbps file) playing on Mango OS and I’m picking up considerable sound floor hiss through these IEMs.

Have tried all the different digital filters and high gain low gain but no difference.

Just wondering if this a burn in issue or the DAP/IEM pairing issue/sensitivity?
Is the hiss only there on those recordings? And are those rips from vinyl?

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #808 of 2,804
Put it on shuffle mode and flick through a few albums

If it hisses on some tracks and not others - then its the recordings

If it hisses on all iems it could be the dap

If is hisses on some earphones and not others - its the earphones

If it persists let it burn it overnight and or try taking out the amp and putting it back.

I myself have not encountered this problem with dx240 and i use Campfires a lot. Some of which are quite sensitive and either hiss with a source, or not at all. Other iems also seem fine.

I think i also did hiss testing when i reviewed it. And found none

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #809 of 2,804
That's a multi channel analog recording and your phones may have emphasis in the range most noticeable. Vinyl rips wouldn't be the issue on that one since clean vinyl on a top table would also allow you to hear tape his. Good vinyl on top kit is a lot quieter than most are aware of but of course there's a good amount of variability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back