DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 26, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #646 of 2,804
Again, I don't have the DAP to analyze it. I don't recall having any issues with the volume wheels function, maybe more a matter of a aesthetic mismatch between the volume wheel up against the grand size of the DAP.

I don't want any 300 fans to misunderstand me. I have no dog in the fight. I'm not planning on buying either the 300 or the 240. I think the 300 was really good and I totally get why people would be drawn to it's sonics. For me, I wasn't a fan of the ergonomics but I wouldn't have let that stop me from buying it if I were in the market and if I was as enthralled with it's sound as it's owners are. It's different strokes for different folks, that's all.
Yes, that is right. It really doesn't look great and not stable, but it is very stable. And with this sound, I personally don't care what it looks like. And when the TPU case is used it doesn't look so bad anymore.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #647 of 2,804
Ok, let me add more oil to this DX240 vs DX300 heated debate :wink: As usual, this is how I hear it based on my listening experience, using Traillii w/First Times cable, playing the same hi-res file, volume matched in every comparison. I already covered functionality difference and we all aware of DX300 amp card being 2x bigger which should give more room for creativity in future amp releases. This comparison is between DX240 with a stock amp1mk3 and optional amp8 vs DX300 with a stock amp11mk2 and optional amp12.

For those who are used to my pictures with a granite-countertop background, it's close to noon here and I had recessed lights on in the kitchen, so granite color looks off, just saying :D
ibasso-dx240_vs_dx300-x01.jpg

In comparison of DX240 (amp1mk3) vs DX300 (amp11mk2), when it comes to tonality and sound sig, the main difference I hear is the bass having a bit more weight and stronger impact in DX300, mids/vocals being more neutral and less colored in DX240, and treble being smoother in DX300 while having more sparkle and a bit more air in DX240. From a technical perspective, with this amp config I hear DX300 soundstage to be a touch wider and to have a more holographic imaging, and also having some improvement in vertical dynamics expansion.

Switching to amp8 changes DX240 sound to a wider soundstage with a more holographic imaging that matches closer with DX300 w/amp11mk2. Also, w/amp8 I hear DX240 to have a blacker background which improves the perception of vertical dynamics expansion to match closer DX300 (amp11mk2) performance. Furthermore, amp8 adds a little more impact to the bass which brings DX240 closer to DX300 w/amp11mk2 as well.

Switching DX300 from amp11mk2 to amp12 makes its sound smoother in tonality, a little more laidback in presentation of the sound with a softer bass attack, similar retrieval of details and a slightly narrower soundstage. DX300 w/amp11mk2 is more revealing, brighter, faster, and with a wider soundstage expansion.

When comparing DX240 (amp8) vs DX300 (amp12), DX240 bass is faster and more articulate while DX300 is slower and softer, DX300 tonality is smoother and warmer while DX240 is more revealing, more transparent with less coloring and a touch more sparkle in treble. Also, DX240 soundstage is wider in comparison to DX300 w/amp12. But you have to keep in mind that I'm comparing DX240 w/amp8 and DX300 w/amp12.

My personal preference is DX240 w/amp8 and DX300 w/amp11mk2.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #648 of 2,804
For what the DX 312 can do, it is relatively small and well suited to take with you. When I think about my last A&K 380 with a screwed on amplifier. Oh my God!!! I felt as if I had a brick in my pocket. And in terms of performance, it was nowhere near as high as the DX312. And price? 5 or 6 times as expensive. To ask???
Some companies for years, raised the bar one what people thought they had to pay to get quality sound but all along, where just increasing profits to an extreme level and backing in the money they were/are making. And many have still not realized they are paying for a company to take a joyride with their money.

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #649 of 2,804
Ok, let me add more oil to this DX240 vs DX300 heated debate :wink: As usual, this is how I hear it based on my listening experience, using Traillii w/First Times cable, playing the same hi-res file, volume matched in every comparison. I already covered functionality difference and we all aware of DX300 amp card being 2x bigger which should give more room for creativity in future amp releases. This comparison is between DX240 with a stock amp1mk3 and optional amp8 vs DX300 with a stock amp11mk2 and optional amp12.

For those who are used to my pictures with a granite-countertop background, it's close to noon here and I had recessed lights on in the kitchen, so granite color looks off, just saying :D

In comparison of DX240 (amp1mk3) vs DX300 (amp11mk2), when it comes to tonality and sound sig, the main difference I hear is the bass having a bit more weight and stronger impact in DX300, mids/vocals being more neutral and less colored in DX240, and treble being smoother in DX300 while having more sparkle and a bit more air in DX240. From a technical perspective, with this amp config I hear DX300 soundstage to be a touch wider and to have a more holographic imaging, and also having some improvement in vertical dynamics expansion.

Switching to amp8 changes DX240 sound to a wider soundstage with a more holographic imaging that matches closer with DX300 w/amp11mk2. Also, w/amp8 I hear DX240 to have a blacker background which improves the perception of vertical dynamics expansion to match closer DX300 (amp11mk2) performance. Furthermore, amp8 adds a little more impact to the bass which brings DX240 closer to DX300 w/amp11mk2 as well.

Switching DX300 from amp11mk2 to amp12 makes its sound smoother in tonality, a little more laidback in presentation of the sound with a softer bass attack, similar retrieval of details and a slightly narrower soundstage. DX300 w/amp11mk2 is more revealing, brighter, faster, and with a wider soundstage expansion.

When comparing DX240 (amp8) vs DX300 (amp12), DX240 bass is faster and more articulate while DX300 is slower and softer, DX300 tonality is smoother and warmer while DX240 is more revealing, more transparent with less coloring and a touch more sparkle in treble. Also, DX240 soundstage is wider in comparison to DX300 w/amp12. But you have to keep in mind that I'm comparing DX240 w/amp8 and DX300 w/amp12.

Awesome Comparison @twister6

Thanks for your continued contribution to the community. :beerchug:

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #650 of 2,804
Hello, my dx240 has arrived today.
I put some of my (local) files on it and tried to open them with mango player and foobar but foobar don't recognise the dsd (.dsf files) but mango does. Why? I'll probably will just use mango but it bothers me that foobar doesn't recognise the dsd files. Is there maybe some setting I can change to let foobar read them? Thanks in advance

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #651 of 2,804
tangibleOk, let me add more oil to this DX240 vs DX300 heated debate :wink: As usual, this is how I hear it based on my listening experience, using Traillii w/First Times cable, playing the same hi-res file, volume matched in every comparison. I already covered functionality difference and we all aware of DX300 amp card being 2x bigger which should give more room for creativity in future amp releases. This comparison is between DX240 with a stock amp1mk3 and optional amp8 vs DX300 with a stock amp11mk2 and optional amp12.

That exactly shows how everything is mainly headphone-dependent. For me the amp 11.2 is unbearable with the xelentos for longer than 5 min. it has bloated bass which floats over up to the mids, higher mids have strange peek which makes everything uneaven (most of the fruequency is buttery smooth and suddenly there is a sharp peek). The stage is wide but less natural than on the amp12 which creates almost tangible holography and the bass fills the stage softly (impression close to the listening speakers). On the other hand beyers T5.3 play waay better with the amp 11.2 but ironicaly only from single ended output (they react quite badly for symetrical out).

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #653 of 2,804
I just bought a DX240. The small form factor (including the weight at a little over 200g!) combined with the overall package sealed the deal for me.

I don't know any other DAP in the market that is this small and has this high end of sound. Once you hit the DX300 size there's a lot of competition including the new Fiio M17 and the upcoming successor to the Cayin N8.

Only thing I would like now is hopefully they make a tube amp module for the DX240.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #654 of 2,804
That exactly shows how everything is mainly headphone-dependent. For me the amp 11.2 is unbearable with the xelentos for longer than 5 min. it has bloated bass which floats over up to the mids, higher mids have strange peek which makes everything uneaven (most of the fruequency is buttery smooth and suddenly there is a sharp peek). The stage is wide but less natural than on the amp12 which creates almost tangible holography and the bass fills the stage softly (impression close to the listening speakers). On the other hand beyers T5.3 play waay better with the amp 11.2 but ironicaly only from single ended output (they react quite badly for symetrical out).
Somehow the rating of Twister 6 also strikes me as weird. Either it's really just the Oriolus Trailli or Twister 6 hears something completely different from the majority. So I've read all 601 pages of the DX 300 thread since the beginning of January and I didn't notice that most people prefer the AMP 11 MK II to the AMP 12. I'm amazed but of course everyone has a different taste.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #655 of 2,804
Somehow the rating of Twister 6 also strikes me as weird. Either it's really just the Oriolus Trailli or Twister 6 hears something completely different from the majority. So I've read all 601 pages of the DX 300 thread since the beginning of January and I didn't notice that most people prefer the AMP 11 MK II to the AMP 12. I'm amazed but of course everyone has a different taste.

Yep, it's called pair up synergy. Xelento is not the best tuned IEM to begin with (just my personal humble opinion), and they do have a plasticy upper mids/lower treble tonality. I just tried Xelento with amp11mk2, and this amp is more revealing, making these IEMs sound rather unnatural. Thus, it pairs up better with a smoother tuned amp12. I find brighter and harsher tuned iems to pair up better with amp12 while more neutral and natural tuned IEMs to pair up better with amp11mk2. And again, all is part of a personal preference. I see that you just recently joined Head-fi community, and you probably already noticed, nothing is set in stone and there is no reason to get upset if someone hears things differently. That's why it is always a good idea to reference which iems or headphones are being used when sharing impressions about DAP sound.

Btw, unless something got lost in translation, I wasn't rating anything here, just sharing a few of my short comparison impressions based on how I hear these DAPs and amp modules.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #656 of 2,804
Yep, it's called pair up synergy. Xelento is not the best tuned IEM to begin with (just my personal humble opinion), and they do have a plasticy upper mids/lower treble tonality. I just tried Xelento with amp11mk2, and this amp is more revealing, making these IEMs sound rather unnatural. Thus, it pairs up better with a smoother tuned amp12. I find brighter and harsher tuned iems to pair up better with amp12 while more neutral and natural tuned IEMs to pair up better with amp11mk2. And again, all is part of a personal preference. I see that you just recently joined Head-fi community, and you probably already noticed, nothing is set in stone and there is no reason to get upset if someone hears things differently. That's why it is always a good idea to reference which iems or headphones are being used when sharing impressions about DAP sound.

Btw, unless something got lost in translation, I wasn't rating anything here, just sharing a few of my short comparison impressions based on how I hear these DAPs and amp modules.
That with the Xelentos wasn't me but Rigatio. I already realize that it is called synergy. And I'm sure not to get upset about your opinion. To be honest, I don't know the MK II. My player came with MKI. But I have to say that my Mest MKII sound better to my ears with AMP 12 than with MKI, also because of the mids. The Dorado 2020, on the other hand, goes wonderfully with MKI. I also wrote that it is probably because of the trail that it fits so well with MKII.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #657 of 2,804
@ Twister 6. Maybe you could compare the Mest MKII with 11 MK II and AMP 12. With original cable. If the Mest MKII sounds much better with 11 MK II, I could also order it. Unfortunately, iBasso takes a lot of time with the successor to 12. Thank you very much if you can try it out briefly.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #658 of 2,804
@ Twister 6. Maybe you could compare the Mest MKII with 11 MK II and AMP 12. With original cable. If the Mest MKII sounds much better with 11 MK II, I could also order it. Unfortunately, iBasso takes a lot of time with the successor to 12. Thank you very much if you can try it out briefly.

Mest MKII is another example of a tuning with thinner lower mids and brighter lower treble, thus it will pair up much better with amp12.

But, let's get back on topic of DX240 :wink: Will leave amp11/amp12 and upcoming amp13 to a discussion on DX300 thread, and will focus on amp1mk3 and the next upcoming dx240 amp (maybe, amp10?) in this thread!

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #659 of 2,804
I think the majority who prefers MKII Amp11 is due to the sound signatures that is more balanced than MKI and or Amp12. However, in technical rawness, the Amp12 has larger soundstage, more details than both MKI and MKII :).

For all that is said, IMHO, the MKII is what Dx300 stock should be, which it is (because the parts are obsolete). Then the Amp12 is a clear upgrade in technical. The strange things here is that the MKI has a very strong sense of Tubes like bass and mid spectrum, and I don’t think you would have any other choices. This puts the MKI as a special and limited products range.

I was not too crazy about MKI and Dx300 as a combo, but the MKII and Dx300 is totally worth buying. Then the upgraded optional Amp12 is a healthy indicator that Ibasso is keeping the development up to date with modular amp designs.

I just hope to see the Dx300 as a platform to be continued. It is such an amazing devices that sits right in between portability and all out performances. Hell, I wouldn’t mind Dx340 with different DAC because it has to happen due to the cirrus chips being obsolete?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #660 of 2,804

Yeah i know that the xelentos is a beyedynamic hous sound with rather warm tuning and splashy upper mids/lower treble which can sound maybe not plasticy but metallic at times. And as i wrote- the synergy is everything. None is getting upset here, it would be stupid. And i very appreciate more reviews done by people with higher end equipment, more revealing and with better tuning. On the other hand most people dont have an access to the iems which cost 3000+ dol, so we just post our impressions shich are nowhere near to the real review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back