DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #661 of 2,804
I think the majority who prefers MKII Amp11 is due to the sound signatures that is more balanced than MKI and or Amp12. However, in technical rawness, the Amp12 has larger soundstage, more details than both MKI and MKII :).

For all that is said, IMHO, the MKII is what Dx300 stock should be, which it is (because the parts are obsolete). Then the Amp12 is a clear upgrade in technical. The strange things here is that the MKI has a very strong sense of Tubes like bass and mid spectrum, and I don’t think you would have any other choices. This puts the MKI as a special and limited products range.

I was not too crazy about MKI and Dx300 as a combo, but the MKII and Dx300 is totally worth buying. Then the upgraded optional Amp12 is a healthy indicator that Ibasso is keeping the development up to date with modular amp designs.

I just hope to see the Dx300 as a platform to be continued. It is such an amazing devices that sits right in between portability and all out performances. Hell, I wouldn’t mind Dx340 with different DAC because it has to happen due to the cirrus chips being obsolete?

And just to add, Vince, your sound analysis is usually based on pair up with HD800s and occasionally IER Z1R, right?

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #662 of 2,804
I think the majority who prefers MKII Amp11 is due to the sound signatures that is more balanced than MKI and or Amp12. However, in technical rawness, the Amp12 has larger soundstage, more details than both MKI and MKII :).

For all that is said, IMHO, the MKII is what Dx300 stock should be, which it is (because the parts are obsolete). Then the Amp12 is a clear upgrade in technical. The strange things here is that the MKI has a very strong sense of Tubes like bass and mid spectrum, and I don’t think you would have any other choices. This puts the MKI as a special and limited products range.

I was not too crazy about MKI and Dx300 as a combo, but the MKII and Dx300 is totally worth buying. Then the upgraded optional Amp12 is a healthy indicator that Ibasso is keeping the development up to date with modular amp designs.

I just hope to see the Dx300 as a platform to be continued. It is such an amazing devices that sits right in between portability and all out performances. Hell, I wouldn’t mind Dx340 with different DAC because it has to happen due to the cirrus chips being obsolete?
The amp12 has the best holography and is the most coherent imho. Its something really special in general.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #664 of 2,804
To be precise most of the headphones, even from higher tier dont have perfect tuning. For example the hd800s, with dumped mids and harsh hights and artificial soundstage. Even Meze Empyrean are far from being perfect. most headphones are tuned to be "audiophile" with uneven frequency response. Thats why the synergy is the most important thing in this game.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #665 of 2,804
To be precise most of the headphones, even from higher tier dont have perfect tuning. For example the hd800s, with dumped mids and harsh hights and artificial soundstage. Even Meze Empyrean are far from being perfect. most headphones are tuned to be "audiophile" with uneven frequency response. Thats why the synergy is the most important thing in this game.
Yes, it would be interesting to read comparisons with DX 240 and DX 300 where to read with IEMs or headphones in the middle price class, say up to a maximum of 2000 USD

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #666 of 2,804

Right on point, man! I also found amp11mk2 to be a noticeable improvement over amp11mk1, and many comparisons in DX300 thread with amp12 were done by people who had the original amp11mk1.

@RIGATIO @German Expat in Vietnam let me know which iems you want me to use in the comparison, and I will keep that in mind for review.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #667 of 2,804
Right on point, man! I also found amp11mk2 to be a noticeable improvement over amp11mk1, and many comparisons in DX300 thread with amp12 were done by people who had the original amp11mk1.

@RIGATIO @German Expat in Vietnam let me know which iems you want me to use in the comparison, and I will keep that in mind for review.
Thank you! Really appreciate it.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #668 of 2,804

How about the pairings the Sennheiser ie900/CA Dorado 2020 with both amps?

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #669 of 2,804

I bought my DX 300 at the beginning of February with an AMP 11 MKI. Then I bought the AMP 12. The difference is really huge, at least for my ears.
I would like to know how the Oriolus Isas, Mest MK II and the Focal Celestee on the DX 240 compared to the DX 312 Listen. Maybe you still have Mest and Isas, at least you tested them. According to your report, I also bought the Mest MK II. Don't you believe the Celestee or do I swap myself?

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #670 of 2,804
How about the pairings the Sennheiser ie900/CA Dorado 2020 with both amps?
I have the CA Dorado 2020. It even sounds good with 11 MK I. Better with AMP 12. But I rarely use it and then use it for EDM, the bass is great. But to be honest, I liked it best with the HiBy R 6 Pro ss. And it also has ESS converters. So I think that it also has a good synergy with the DX 240. But before you buy the Dorado K take a look at the Oriolus Isabaelle. It costs only 650 USD but is a dream in the midrange. Singing in particular is fantastic. To be honest, I hear more with the Isas than with the Mest MKII.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #671 of 2,804
I have the CA Dorado 2020. It even sounds good with 11 MK I. Better with AMP 12. But I rarely use it and then use it for EDM, the bass is great. But to be honest, I liked it best with the HiBy R 6 Pro ss. And it also has ESS converters. So I think that it also has a good synergy with the DX 240. But before you buy the Dorado K take a look at the Oriolus Isabaelle. It costs only 650 USD but is a dream in the midrange. Singing in particular is fantastic. To be honest, I hear more with the Isas than with the Mest MKII.
Wow thanks a lot! How about the staging on Isabellae? Is it as wide and deep as on the Dorado?

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #673 of 2,804

@ Twister 6. If you should test the Oriolus Isas with the DX 240 and with the DX 312, use the Satin Audio Athena cable. You may still have it from the previous test. So the combination is really great. Clear difference to the original cable. For me the combination is unbeatable for the price.

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #674 of 2,804
@ Twister 6. If you should test the Oriolus Isas with the DX 240 and with the DX 312, use the Satin Audio Athena cable. You may still have it from the previous test. So the combination is really great. Clear difference to the original cable. For me the combination is unbeatable for the price.

I can only test whatever IEMs I have access to :) From Oriolus I only have Traillii and Mellianus JP, from Campfire I only have Andro '20 and Solaris '20, also have all 64 Audio, most of VE, a lot of EE, etc., iems which I have reviewed and still have after the review on a long term loan.

Nov 27, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #675 of 2,804
I can only test whatever IEMs I have access to :) From Oriolus I only have Traillii and Mellianus JP, from Campfire I only have Andro '20 and Solaris '20, also have all 64 Audio, most of VE, a lot of EE, etc., iems which I have reviewed and still have after the review on a long term loan.
Alright thank you very much. You can't keep or keep everything either. But the combination of Isa and Athena is really impressive. Just listened to Adele's new album and it's fantastic with the combo. Goose skin feeling. And Isa and Athena for 1000 euros is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back