DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 25, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #616 of 2,804
Yes, but is got nothing to do with the sound performance alone. 😉
And I was comparing sound performance alone and not overall performance.
That is what the OP asked.
For a regular sized DAP I would choose the DX240 or the M11 Plus with the first being even more portable with very good technical performance and sound.

Well best thing one can do is if possible is to listen for themselves. There may be people that like the dx240 sound signature better than the dx 300 sound signature. Such as the headphonia review. So it's always better to say 'imo' than this 'definitely' sounds better. As everyone's hearing and ears and tastes are different.

I'm not really into the dac signature thing either as I've heard ess chips sound very organic and smooth and say AKM sound sharp. Plus a number of daps that have the same cirrus chipset sound markedly different because of implementation and lpf. Plus of course what headphones you are using and also if you don't have the volume precisely matched can alter results.

The idea situation would be to go to a local ibasso dealer and compare the two for themselves. Or if that's not possible buy both on Amazon and return the one you like the least. Of course don't do this to small dealers as returns can kill them.

Me, I already know the 300 would be too big for me as the 240 is already pushing the size of daps I like. But the stable BT/wifi and fast ui are enough to sway me. I'm sure the sound will be satisfactory- I mean I was impressed by even dx160's sound 😉

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #617 of 2,804
Tried it on the dx312/Xelentos->UAPP/Tidal. It wasnt piercing but sharp and quite dimensional. Not smoothed out but not harsh as well.
Thanks, do you have a DX240 to compare?

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #621 of 2,804
Well best thing one can do is if possible is to listen for themselves. There may be people that like the dx240 sound signature better than the dx 300 sound signature. Such as the headphonia review. So it's always better to say 'imo' than this 'definitely' sounds better. As everyone's hearing and ears and tastes are different.

I'm not really into the dac signature thing either as I've heard ess chips sound very organic and smooth and say AKM sound sharp. Plus a number of daps that have the same cirrus chipset sound markedly different because of implementation and lpf. Plus of course what headphones you are using and also if you don't have the volume precisely matched can alter results.

The idea situation would be to go to a local ibasso dealer and compare the two for themselves. Or if that's not possible buy both on Amazon and return the one you like the least. Of course don't do this to small dealers as returns can kill them.

Me, I already know the 300 would be too big for me as the 240 is already pushing the size of daps I like. But the stable BT/wifi and fast ui are enough to sway me. I'm sure the sound will be satisfactory- I mean I was impressed by even dx160's sound 😉
I guess people already know that when someone expresses an opinion it is always IMHO, so no need to quote every time.
When someone asks for an opinion, it is to get an idea and nothing else.
Nothing can substitute your ears and hearing for yourself.
Unfortunately there are people who can't audition the gear so they have to rely on reviews.
BTW if you have read any of my reviews, I seldomly take sides because one thing that I clearly know and respect is that one man's dream is another ones nightmare.
Anyway I should have probably excluded the world "definitely" and left with the verbal description of the sound.

So while that I certainly agree that a lot of people would like the DX240 better than the DX300 for their own reasons, I cannot vouch for the opinion that they are of the same league.

Listening with Sennheiser HD660S it is very easy to observe that the DX300 presentation is on another scale.
It is like comparing a good desktop gear with a good player.
So leaving sound signature aside the DX300 is grander, bolder, more dynamic, better control, more holographic, greater depth, more meat around the bones, decay is more natural, timbre is lifelike, driving force is better, everything sounds larger scale.

As always IMHO....

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #622 of 2,804
I guess people already know that when someone expresses an opinion it is always IMHO, so no need to quote every time.
When someone asks for an opinion, it is to get an idea and nothing else.
Nothing can substitute your ears and hearing for yourself.
Unfortunately there are people who can't audition the gear so they have to rely on reviews.
BTW if you have read any of my reviews, I seldomly take sides because one thing that I clearly know and respect is that one man's dream is another ones nightmare.
Anyway I should have probably excluded the world "definitely" and left with the verbal description of the sound.

So while that I certainly agree that a lot of people would like the DX240 better than the DX300 for their own reasons, I cannot vouch for the opinion that they are of the same league.

Listening with Sennheiser HD660S it is very easy to observe that the DX300 presentation is on another scale.
It is like comparing a good desktop gear with a good player.
So leaving sound signature aside the DX300 is grander, bolder, more dynamic, better control, more holographic, greater depth, more meat around the bones, decay is more natural, timbre is lifelike, driving force is better, everything sounds larger scale.

As always IMHO....

It didn't come off as your own opinion, it came off as absolute fact. Like a blanket statement- x is better than y. There are so many factors involved there are no absolutes. It's a very subjective thing. In my experience price doesn't always follow sound quality and category of daps, ie flagship. Not saying one doesn't sound better than the other to you, but in the end that's just a personal opinion.

Plus, the last paragraph kind of makes me chuckle lol. 😃 salt taken 😉 probably should quit beating this horse and get back to dx240.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #623 of 2,804
It didn't come off as your own opinion, it came off as absolute fact. Like a blanket statement- x is better than y. There are so many factors involved there are no absolutes. It's a very subjective thing. In my experience price doesn't always follow sound quality and category of daps, ie flagship. Not saying one doesn't sound better than the other to you, but in the end that's just a personal opinion.

Plus, the last paragraph kind of makes me chuckle lol. 😃 salt taken 😉 probably should quit beating this horse and get back to dx240.
It got nothing to do with price, that is what I am hearing.
Everything is personal, reviewing is personal.
There are people who trust my subjective opinion and others who don't.
Seems perfectly fine to me.
Other people might hear otherwise.
I don't own any of them, didn't paid for them so no ownership pride involved.
If I was to buy one it would be the DX300 considering my personal preferences and use scenario.
I like it better, how else should I phrase it I don't know!

Please enjoy your DX240 it is very good sounding player as you are going to find in my upcoming review but I guess that you already know that.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #624 of 2,804
@abitdeef
BTW, why you chunk with my opinion?
Have you had the chance to perform a careful comparison between them?
I did and I am providing the community with some valuable although highly subjective information.
Someone might find it useful.
image.jpg

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #625 of 2,804
It got nothing to do with price, that is what I am hearing.
Everything is personal, reviewing is personal.
There are people who trust my subjective opinion and others who don't.
Seems perfectly fine to me.
Other people might hear otherwise.
I don't own any of them, didn't paid for them so no ownership pride involved.
If I was to buy one it would be the DX300 considering my personal preferences and use scenario.

Please enjoy your DX240 it is very good sounding player as you are going to find in my upcoming review but I guess that you already know that.
Personally I think some people dont want the level of DX300 detail but prefer the slowness and more "dramatic" colouring of the music. Interesting considering its ESS but somehow I feel that it has a very IFI/burr brown sound

Personally I would never exchange my DX311mk2 for the DX240 but I know my friend says the DX300 sounds very sterile and basically bought the DX240 10min into demoing it. So yeah on a objective level the DX300 is so much better but there are people that will actively choose the DX240 even though money is no concern to them.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #627 of 2,804
Without making bold statements to the community like using the word "Definitely" !!!

IMO :unamused: you could have said "For my personnel use case and music preferences, the DX300 ticks all the right boxes"

Also detailing your personal use case and music preferences in the same post would have been more informative. i.e. I only use it at home and I do not listen to EDM/ROCK/POP type genre music with it.

But that's just MHO on how to be as clear and informative as possible.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #628 of 2,804
@abitdeef
BTW, why you chunk with my opinion?
Have you had the chance to perform a careful comparison between them?
I did and I am providing the community with some valuable although highly subjective information.
Someone might find it useful.
image.jpg
Thanks!! It surely is useful to me :)!! I still enjoy dx220 here and there, but since the Dx312 is here, especially with Amp12, hence saying Dx312!!! I don’t find the urge to pick up Dx220 any more. Yes, physically it is larger, and it also performs on a more grandeur scale as you said. From MHO, there are so much more room on Dx300 as a platform to lay out a lot more different design than the smaller Dx240.

I concluded myself that if I enjoy Dx312 and am not worried about the form factor of it, then I don’t need Dx240!

This comparison of your between 2 units did reconfirm my thought which repeated the comparison between dx312/220. Thank you very much again

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #629 of 2,804
Without making bold statements to the community like using the word "Definitely" !!!

IMO :unamused: you could have said "For my personnel use case and music preferences, the DX300 ticks all the right boxes"

Also detailing your personal use case and music preferences in the same post would have been more informative. i.e. I only use it at home and I do not listen to EDM/ROCK/POP type genre music with it.

But that's just MHO on how to be as clear and informative as possible.
OK guys it was a brief comparison not a review.
Sorry for not using the appropriate words.
I have made a lot of following posts to clarify everything.
I am getting tired...

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #630 of 2,804
OK guys it was a brief comparison not a review.
Sorry for not using the appropriate words.
I have made a lot of following posts to clarify everything.
I am getting tired...
@ Ichos. Hello?? What are you apologizing for? If the DX 300 is for you the better player in terms of sound. Then that's how it is and Basta. I think several people have this opinion. Everyone has a different opinion on the sound and preferences. And if Ichos says the DX 300 is devinitively better for him then everyone should accept that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back