DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #2,341 of 2,804
You tried different cables and blew out or cleaned the USB C port? I had one that wasn't working and lint had gotten into it. I used a little brush and some alcohol.
Got home today, and swapped out AMP8 MKII for stock AMP, still didn't turn on, so I plugged it into the PC just for giggles, after 25 mins I try to turn it on and it does turn on with 15% battery life. Not sure if the issue was AMP8 MKII but that's the only thing I changed. Been trying to charge this thing for 2+ days.

Will put AMP8 MKII back on over the weekend and test it some more. May need to send it in for repairs.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #2,342 of 2,804
Got home today, and swapped out AMP8 MKII for stock AMP, still didn't turn on, so I plugged it into the PC just for giggles, after 25 mins I try to turn it on and it does turn on with 15% battery life. Not sure if the issue was AMP8 MKII but that's the only thing I changed. Been trying to charge this thing for 2+ days.

Will put AMP8 MKII back on over the weekend and test it some more. May need to send it in for repairs.
Swapped AMP8 MKII back in and it works just fine... may have to look into the Micron Industrial SD Card I've been using for a while and see if windows can fix any errors on it. SD Card errors may also cause read issues / android system crashes. Someone on the Cayin N8II thread had constant issues. Turned out it was his SD card with read/write errors.

Mar 3, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,343 of 2,804
Swapped AMP8 MKII back in and it works just fine... may have to look into the Micron Industrial SD Card I've been using for a while and see if windows can fix any errors on it. SD Card errors may also cause read issues / android system crashes. Someone on the Cayin N8II thread had constant issues. Turned out it was his SD card with read/write errors.
I had a Micron card go bad. Out of 30 plus cards from different manufactures, the 1st for me but Digikey sent out a replacement and they told me to throw away the bad one. The Micron are the best sounding IMO. I have 5 Micron and all them are working fine.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,344 of 2,804
I had a Micron card go bad. Out of 30 plus cards from different manufactures, the 1st for me but Digikey sent out a replacement and they told me to throw away the bad one. The Micron are the best sounding IMO. I have 5 Micron and all them are working fine.
Oh yeah. I only use Micron Industrial cards now (not the consumer one's they also make). The sound is just pure bliss paired with a descent DAP and dope IEM's. Even the little R3 Pro Saber sounds so good with a 128GB Micron Industrial card in there. For the Sony ZX507, the difference is very minimal. I think it's the way audio is processed through the whole system.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2,345 of 2,804
Oh yeah. I only use Micron Industrial cards now (not the consumer one's they also make). The sound is just pure bliss paired with a descent DAP and dope IEM's. Even the little R3 Pro Saber sounds so good with a 128GB Micron Industrial card in there. For the Sony ZX507, the difference is very minimal. I think it's the way audio is processed through the whole system.
Yes, I just use the industrial cards but bought a standard one by accident. Don't get those, A good Sandisk is better for sound.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #2,346 of 2,804
I had a Micron card go bad. Out of 30 plus cards from different manufactures, the 1st for me but Digikey sent out a replacement and they told me to throw away the bad one. The Micron are the best sounding IMO. I have 5 Micron and all them are working

What place you are buying these micron cards guys?. Need to try it. To dx240 i understand it's worth to get.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #2,347 of 2,804
What place you are buying these micron cards guys?. Need to try it. To dx240 i understand it's worth to get.
I check availability at Digikey and Mouser and then compare price. You want the non CS card. You don't want the consumer grade. The non CS costs more.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #2,348 of 2,804
I check availability at Digikey and Mouser and then compare price. You want the non CS card. You don't want the consumer grade. The non CS costs more.
Ok will check this. Interesting i always believed in many different sound changing upgrades, also in cable changing for better sound, but card was really new to me when i first heard they also could add different taste to final sound. But as you all using and have tried many different cards and happy with these micron cards - why not to try. :)

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,349 of 2,804
I got my 256GB from here https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Micron/MTSD256AKC7MS-1WT?qs=wnTfsH77Xs5bSygbrkOS9g==

Here's the industrial 512 GB https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Micron/MTSD512AKC7MS-1WT?qs=wnTfsH77Xs4I%2BMv7o3fRYA==

the price is worth it.

The above are what most have. they're i300 Versions.

The new i400 Micron Versions are out now but most sizes aren't in stock yet. only 64GB

This fortune 500 company also has some i400 Models in stock for $40 less vs mouser etc. They're based in Colorado, USA.
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/mtsd512anc8ms-1wt/micron-technology

Gonna buy a 64GB and see if there's any improvement in sound.

When you buy use the Chart below for write speed U1 vs U3 cards

read speed is the same for all cards which is what matters most for Music playback

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/671/micro_sd_card_flyer-3043228.pdf

Micron has added a 1.5TB card i400 model (New release).

The new i400 models have an endurance of 5 years with 24/7 use vs 3 years 24/7 use with the older i300 models 99% of us have.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Micron/MTSD064AMC8MS-1WT?qs=A6eO%2BMLsxmRix8Q5bXoMtQ==

They take a decent DAP like DX240 to end game levels of sound paired with the right IEM ofcourse that can pickup the differences.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,350 of 2,804
Ok will check this. Interesting i always believed in many different sound changing upgrades, also in cable changing for better sound, but card was really new to me when i first heard they also could add different taste to final sound. But as you all using and have tried many different cards and happy with these micron cards - why not to try. :)
Also get this Modular cable. It's way cheaper on Ali express for any 2 pin IEM you have. They have it for MMCX as well.
Some other company has rebranded it and selling it for $200.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2bmonwN&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

This Cable has taken my ThieAudio Monarch to Godlike levels of soundstage and smooth yet still detailed treble. i only use Filter 7 (Brickwall) as to my ears it opens up the soundstage, Bass is fuller and getting the full spectrum of the audio signal vs the other filters.

All these little upgrades just make things better and better plus iBasso implemented ESS9038 PRO Dac really well. This DAC isn't the old ESS sound many didn't like.

It sounds very organic with especially via Filter 7 on AMP8 MKII. Reminds me of old R2R and BurrBrown Dacs of the early 90's.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,351 of 2,804
Also get this Modular cable. It's way cheaper on Ali express for any 2 pin IEM you have. They have it for MMCX as well.
Some other company has rebranded it and selling it for $200.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2bmonwN&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

This Cable has taken my ThieAudio Monarch to Godlike levels of soundstage and smooth yet still detailed treble. i only use Filter 7 (Brickwall) as to my ears it opens up the soundstage, Bass is fuller and getting the full spectrum of the audio signal vs the other filters.

All these little upgrades just make things better and better plus iBasso implemented ESS9038 PRO Dac really well. This DAC isn't the old ESS sound many didn't like.

It sounds very organic with especially via Filter 7 on AMP8 MKII. Reminds me of old R2R and BurrBrown Dacs of the early 90's.
really a lot good info you gave and i will definatelly will folow your guides. Thank you so much for sharing you experience with this wonderfull dap. Even if i am completelly happy with it i really want to extract what is possible and still think i could get more from it with not so big investments and tweaking. Perhaps will need better iems lastly.
And yeah this 9038 doesnt sound like bad ess , ibasso really tweaked it well. Dx240 with proper iems and amps could be technical at the same time very musical and organic, r2r like. High level league ibasso sound

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,352 of 2,804
@Paul - iBasso are there any plans to release any other modules for this player?

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #2,353 of 2,804
There is amp8mk2s out, but so far have only seen it on audiofonics from France. Or the amp5mod.
Otherwise nothing has been revealed or teased. Pretty sure it won't and will just be released without much fanfare.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #2,354 of 2,804
There is amp8mk2s out, but so far have only seen it on audiofonics from France. Or the amp5mod.
Otherwise nothing has been revealed or teased. Pretty sure it won't and will just be released without much fanfare.

Yea, I've owned the Amp8 MK2 since it came out. That's what I use daily. I don't know where you'd get the Amp5Mod. Seems like its only bundled with new purchases and in EU stores. I'm pretty happy with the Amp8 MK2 myself, but just wondering.

I really like the sound of the OPA1622 opamp and would be cool if a module had something similar to or used it. I dig it in the Lotoo PAW6000 and also have it as a swapped in opamp on my iBasso P5 portable amp.

Mar 9, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2,355 of 2,804
Yea, I've owned the Amp8 MK2 since it came out. That's what I use daily. I don't know where you'd get the Amp5Mod. Seems like its only bundled with new purchases and in EU stores. I'm pretty happy with the Amp8 MK2 myself, but just wondering.

I really like the sound of the OPA1622 opamp and would be cool if a module had something similar to or used it. I dig it in the Lotoo PAW6000 and also have it as a swapped in opamp on my iBasso P5 portable amp.
Believe you misread my post, there is a new aamp8mkS out, new version of mk2.
If your interested in one of these and not located in Europe contact Paul for help, they might sell them directly, though might also be some kind of limited amount exclusive deals for some partners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back