DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jan 2, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,206 of 2,804
Are you referring to Mango player in android? When I previously tried UAPP on the DFX240, I didn't like it as much as the native player but I didn't stick with it long or try tweaking/matching for it. I'll need to try again with my current amp.
Yes talked about mango on android player. Mango os i tried few times, quite good but still it wasn't optimized as ibasso android so left it. I like mango player in android after update more. Even i am thinking if it is not better than usbplayer pro according current tuning. But i need to say i dont like overal warm or massive, basy or colored sound. I like more neutrall or neutral bright tuning as fast and dynamic it can be. But ibasso for me always gave this, even if it still musical not overly analytical or empty as some thx based players heard in the past. Also we all need to say what monitors we use as it can change our understanding completely :)

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #2,207 of 2,804
Yes talked about mango on android player. Mango os i tried few times, quite good but still it wasn't optimized as ibasso android so left it. I like mango player in android after update more. Even i am thinking if it is not better than usbplayer pro according current tuning. But i need to say i dont like overal warm or massive, basy or colored sound. I like more neutrall or neutral bright tuning as fast and dynamic it can be. But ibasso for me always gave this, even if it still musical not overly analytical or empty as some thx based players heard in the past. Also we all need to say what monitors we use as it can change our understanding completely :)
Ya, I'm like you. Currently using Moondrop s8 with Comply tips (It's like they were made for these and I have some reservations with other tips) and a not warm cable. Either silver or silver/copper hybrid litz. Have a pair of EE Spartans with S1 adel as well but have come to prefer the S8s overall. Super coherent once you persuade the ducks to line up. Have had Andromeda, PP8 and jh13fp in the past.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #2,208 of 2,804
Ya, I'm like you. Currently using Moondrop s8 with Comply tips (It's like they were made for these and I have some reservations with other tips) and a not warm cable. Either silver or silver/copper hybrid litz. Have a pair of EE Spartans with S1 adel as well but have come to prefer the S8s overall. Super coherent once you persuade the ducks to line up. Have had Andromeda, PP8 and jh13fp in the past.
Yes i really usually also prefer silver or silver cooper litz type as you. Best combination of tranparency and overal neutrality not going to extremes. Pure cooper not for me, only in the past used with some chinese cheap iems when was time i was fighting with really bad tuned iems with sibilant , too bright peaky treble.:) These time long gone. With ibaso i found happines. Now only testing different amps or different players as now. This gives some fun and possibility to tweak even more. I also really happy that among us are smart guy who even modifies his amps. This is really high level. My only mod with amp was to buy ex amp which is my mod :d wish i had better skills with soldering.
Also s8 i rember was really good iem , i havent heard them but it was really nice. So it fits your ibasso and your taste good i understand.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #2,209 of 2,804
Yes i really usually also prefer silver or silver cooper litz type as you. Best combination of tranparency and overal neutrality not going to extremes. Pure cooper not for me, only in the past used with some chinese cheap iems when was time i was fighting with really bad tuned iems with sibilant , too bright peaky treble.:) These time long gone. With ibaso i found happines. Now only testing different amps or different players as now. This gives some fun and possibility to tweak even more. I also really happy that among us are smart guy who even modifies his amps. This is really high level. My only mod with amp was to buy ex amp which is my mod :d wish i had better skills with soldering.
Also s8 i rember was really good iem , i havent heard them but it was really nice. So it fits your ibasso and your taste good i understand.
If you heard them without complys, the pinna gain is high enough to detract from the rest of what it does very well. But you likely heard that they were detailed and coherent with bandwidth.

Did you look at my modded board? Hardly that skilled, LOL. I could be cleaner if it mattered that much to me or wasn't tacking in an out as much as I did early on but really. anyone used to soldering with more patience than I possess could do it cleanly. Picking parts is more difficult. Easy to fall down rabbit holes and be influenced by personal biases of what you may feel should work or parts you've liked in the past, cost more etc. I should really have a magnifier lamp at my age. (senior)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #2,210 of 2,804
So, I did the update and mango in Android doesn't sound significantly different to me. Did you Factory reset after update? Check your filter and gain settings? I always use mid gain and filter #5 for my IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #2,211 of 2,804
So, I did the update and mango in Android doesn't sound significantly different to me. Did you Factory reset after update? Check your filter and gain settings? I always use mid gain and filter #5 for my IEMs.
Thanks for testing. Will try to reset. Differences not so big as it could look but for me it is notissable in mango player. But i compared from audio memory and in comparisson to usbplayer pro. Dont have two devices with older and new android to check. And perhaps will not go to older as new one i like the most. :) What audio player do you use and like the most with 240?

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #2,212 of 2,804
Thanks for testing. Will try to reset. Differences not so big as it could look but for me it is notissable in mango player. But i compared from audio memory and in comparisson to usbplayer pro. Dont have two devices with older and new android to check. And perhaps will not go to older as new one i like the most. :) What audio player do you use and like the most with 240?
I liked the native Mango player in Android. I preferred it to UAPP when I had both installed. I use Hiby player for local streaming files via WiFi. Qobuz for online content. With my current amp, I like pure mango best but with the others I tended toward Android Mango like most here. My tweaked amp 3 is good in either but I found I still slightly preferred Andriod with it. Amp1, always Android after my bias quickly wore off, LOL. That a player in Android would be more satisfying than a stand alone OS of same is counterintuitive. It's simply a horses for courses scenario. It now sounds great either way for me but I slightly prefer stand alone Mango with the tweaked amp 8 and my IEMs. Has gained the color and connectedness required.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2,213 of 2,804
I liked the native Mango player in Android. I preferred it to UAPP when I had both installed. I use Hiby player for local streaming files via WiFi. Qobuz for online content. With my current amp, I like pure mango best but with the others I tended toward Android Mango like most here. My tweaked amp 3 is good in either but I found I still slightly preferred Andriod with it. Amp1, always Android after my bias quickly wore off, LOL. That a player in Android would be more satisfying than a stand alone OS of same is counterintuitive. It's simply a horses for courses scenario. It now sounds great either way for me but I slightly prefer stand alone Mango with the tweaked amp 8 and my IEMs. Has gained the color and connectedness required.
Yes for me with dx240 always seemed strange that android mango is better than pure mango oss. It is hardly believable but it is. From what i heard with older ibasso it always was in other way. But i like this because android oss is really modern now compared to oldscool vibish mango.
Wanted to know, why you stayed with dx240 when many ibasso fans an believers gone to 320 side? Was it some reasons. ?

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,214 of 2,804
Yes for me with dx240 always seemed strange that android mango is better than pure mango oss. It is hardly believable but it is. From what i heard with older ibasso it always was in other way. But i like this because android oss is really modern now compared to oldscool vibish mango.
Wanted to know, why you stayed with dx240 when many ibasso fans an believers gone to 320 side? Was it some reasons. ?
The DX240, though rated high by some, is underrated in general. It is excellent sounding IMO. Great size, weight and output. Grass is most always greener until you are on the other side of the fence. But the issue is, the DX320 is also great sounding and you can use the KORG with it. It is all good, IMO, fun for the listening pleasure.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #2,215 of 2,804
The DX240, though rated high by some, is underrated in general. It is excellent sounding IMO. Great size, weight and output. Grass is most always greener until you are on the other side of the fence. But the issue is, the DX320 is also great sounding and you can use the KORG with it. It is all good, IMO, fun for the listening pleasure.
Can not add more - it is underrated. Perhaps it gets in to some strange teritory. It is not entry level dap to have entry price - so no economy based buyers will want it and also not flagship in the same ibasso line even if sounds near or close to it. But also not in right middle where people like not crazy audiophiles upgrade from their entry point, lets say like fiio m11 plus level, where price still not gets to 1000 teritory. So all these factors keeps it from getting more rating, not sound which is fantastic as we all know. And yes korg is nice, most of the talk is going about and 320 related stuff, but there are more people that care seriuosly about sound and has funds and need to have flagship device. But for me at its size there is no other device right now what could give such sound with such good amp like 240. So for me in its place it is perfect

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,218 of 2,804
Is it my ears that can't really tell the difference between the digital filters 😂

Unless you can really hear near 20k Hz, I wouldn't expect much difference. Sometimes, age is a blessing in this hobby.

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,219 of 2,804
Unless you can really hear near 20k Hz, I wouldn't expect much difference. Sometimes, age is a blessing in this hobby.
I’m 68 and clearly prefer filter 5. It has more to do with character and timing, likely due to differences in type of ringing. Quality of files also has bearing on how significant and it‘s quantitatively quite small regardless.

Jan 4, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #2,220 of 2,804
Joining the DX240 club soon to replace my DX160 whose port keeps failing, thanks @Bosk!

Can't wait to try it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back