DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jan 7, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #2,236 of 2,804
Many months ago, I received the Amp3Mod module but it didn't fit into the DX240 correctly. After several tries to modify it, I kinda gave up and put it away for months. I got bored today, and took it out again, took apart the cover, and relocated the cap that was sticking up too high. Of course, I was a little concerned about either desoldering it, or having the leads touch and short. I was prepared to resolder the whole thing, but after a little bit of careful replacement, I was able to safely get the entire thing working and fitting into device perfectly, well, except theres a small gap on the back where the covers meet.

Anyway, I had to go find a 2.5mm cable to work with the amp, but after that, I plugged in my Empire Ears Odin and Dunu Zen in and I was actually really impressed with how it sounded. It was a tad warmer and relaxed and smoother overall than Amp8 Mk2 that I have been using, and I generally enjoyed the sound quite a bit. I ended up going back to Amp8Mk2 because I do like the more resolving sound, but its mostly because all my cables are 3.5mm or 4.4mm and using the Amp3Mod limits that for me.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,240 of 2,804
I have a different question I thought I'd ask since the thread has been active these days...

Is there a way to improve or upscale the BT DAC mode of the 240?

I thought it would be nice to maybe stream the flac files from my Sony phone on to the 240 instead of using the Gryphon or a smaller option like the Qudelix. Sometimes I like watching something on my Samsung tablet while i wash dishes or do other chores. So having a powerful source would be nice. But it seems that the only available BT option for the 240 as a receiver is SBC :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #2,241 of 2,804
Hi, after updating to version 2.0, several bugs appeared:
1. Playback to the physical button does not always start when the screen is off. When the screen turns on, playback starts.
2. After playing through coax, there is no sound in the mango player. Reboot helps.
3. After playing through Yandex music, there is also no sound in the mango player. Once I caught noise in my headphones after playing in Yandex music. Reboot helps.

Has anyone had something similar?

Sorry for google-translate.

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #2,242 of 2,804
1. Playback to the physical button does not always start when the screen is off. When the screen turns on, playback starts.
2. After playing through coax, there is no sound in the mango player. Reboot helps.
3. After playing through Yandex music, there is also no sound in the mango player. Once I caught noise in my headphones after playing in Yandex music. Reboot helps.

Important to do a factory reset. Try that and if not better, reinstall the FW. I would expect a few minor bugs in switching Android OS that will get sorted in the next release but yours seems to be having more issues than that.

Jan 9, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #2,243 of 2,804

Yes, I've had the first one.
Doing a Factory reset may make sense, but I've got about 100GBs of Qobuz downloads that I'd lose and Qobuz is soooo slow to download.

On that note, in addition to the above, Qobuz seems to misbehave quite a bit more than usual (it's often problematic) since Android 11 - often doesn't play download or stream even after multiple opening and closing of the app. Very annoying.

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2,244 of 2,804
Yes, I've had the first one.
Doing a Factory reset may make sense, but I've got about 100GBs of Qobuz downloads that I'd lose and Qobuz is soooo slow to download.

On that note, in addition to the above, Qobuz seems to misbehave quite a bit more than usual (it's often problematic) since Android 11 - often doesn't play download or stream even after multiple opening and closing of the app. Very annoying.
Just copy them to a card and put them back after.

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,246 of 2,804
Does that work with Qobuz? They're on an SD card as it is, so I could give it a go...
If they are on an SD card, that doesn't get erased with a factory reset.

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,247 of 2,804
Many months ago, I received the Amp3Mod module but it didn't fit into the DX240 correctly. After several tries to modify it, I kinda gave up and put it away for months. I got bored today, and took it out again, took apart the cover, and relocated the cap that was sticking up too high. Of course, I was a little concerned about either desoldering it, or having the leads touch and short. I was prepared to resolder the whole thing, but after a little bit of careful replacement, I was able to safely get the entire thing working and fitting into device perfectly, well, except theres a small gap on the back where the covers meet.

Anyway, I had to go find a 2.5mm cable to work with the amp, but after that, I plugged in my Empire Ears Odin and Dunu Zen in and I was actually really impressed with how it sounded. It was a tad warmer and relaxed and smoother overall than Amp8 Mk3 that I have been using, and I generally enjoyed the sound quite a bit. I ended up going back to Amp8Mk3 because I do like the more resolving sound, but its mostly because all my cables are 3.5mm or 4.4mm and using the Amp3Mod limits that for me.
Would like to hear amp8 mk3, is it more to mk1 or mk2 ? :wink:. All right.. everyone understand this, but really thanks for sharing about amp3 mod. I understood that it's ok i dont have it as i like resolving and brighter or neutral tuning and this amp was made for other purposes. Still for this amp1 and ex best amps for 240 for me. Not heard mk2

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,248 of 2,804
I have a different question I thought I'd ask since the thread has been active these days...

Is there a way to improve or upscale the BT DAC mode of the 240?

I thought it would be nice to maybe stream the flac files from my Sony phone on to the 240 instead of using the Gryphon or a smaller option like the Qudelix. Sometimes I like watching something on my Samsung tablet while i wash dishes or do other chores. So having a powerful source would be nice. But it seems that the only available BT option for the 240 as a receiver is SBC :frowning2:
Set the sending device to send LDAC and 240 will receive in LDAC. It all depends on what the DAP is receiving. You can try and upgrade the sound quality of BT sound via developer mode and dive into those settings.

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2,249 of 2,804
Would like to hear amp8 mk3, is it more to mk1 or mk2 ? :wink:. All right.. everyone understand this, but really thanks for sharing about amp3 mod. I understood that it's ok i dont have it as i like resolving and brighter or neutral tuning and this amp was made for other purposes. Still for this amp1 and ex best amps for 240 for me. Not heard mk2

Haha! typo! yes Amp8Mk2 :) I fixed it, thank you!

Jan 9, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #2,250 of 2,804
Set the sending device to send LDAC and 240 will receive in LDAC. It all depends on what the DAP is receiving. You can try and upgrade the sound quality of BT sound via developer mode and dive into those settings.
I forgot if i opened developer mode on the 240. But on my phone, i do have developer mode turned on and when i go to the BT, the option to turn on "hd audio" and change the BT codec is not available. It's all greyed out. But I'll double check if there is anything I can change on the 240 in the developer options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back