DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
May 8, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,801 of 2,804
Can anyone confirm the Amp8 MK2 is the warmest Amp for the DX 240 as even with the Amp8 used I found it still agressiv and bright.
My AMP8 MKII has about 50h of burn-in and I can confirm it has the warmest and analog sound of the bunch. I don't find the DX240 to be bright but it is energetic and vivid. Like @TheRH mentioned the bass still very smooth.

May 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,803 of 2,804
What is the warmest filter on the DX 240 to obtain a smooth sound, not too punchy ?

In my experience, typically the minimum phase, hybrid or no-oversampling (not available on DX240) give a slightly warmer experience. Minimum phase filters have little to no pre-ringing, while linear phase has equal parts pre and post-ringing effect. Hybrid is more like an MQA filter if I recall, with a small amount of pre-ringing and more post-ringing effect.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 114434.png

Screenshot 2022-05-08 114446.png

Slow-Roll-off also give a slight treble roll-off that is measurable. The fast-roll off filters have more ringing, which is good for certain things but may not be for others.

See ESS datasheets attached:

ES9038PRO-Datasheet-v3.7.pdf_2021-12-06_05-34-37.png
ES9038PRO-Datasheet-v3.7.pdf_2021-12-06_05-35-15.png

I personally typically use the Linear, Fast-Roll off. It's typically the most standard filter but may not always be the most musical. This is mostly a try and see what you like the best activity. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #1,805 of 2,804
Even with your nice graphics it's very hard to catch the differences between the filters proposed.
Well all of those are over 23-25Khz in frequencies, and any of the ringings antialiasing effects are below the floor noises of -120Db.

So, unless you are capable of listening as good as a bat, and crank the volume as loud as 120Db….then you will hear the differences obviously.

However, Aliasing is always a part of the sigma delta topology. The reason why you would hear more from Cirrus DAC chips is because their antialiasing isn’t working as well as intended

How so ? Because aliasing is basically the mirrored parts of a certain spectrum and it informations (out of the meaning full and or NyQuist frequencies) are mirrored back into the meaningful spectrum of 20-20Khz. This creates a certain saturation of a certain frequencies within, which results in a sound signatures changes.

When it is correctly working, most of the time, you barely hear the differences, but the overall signature will remain as the core of each unique modulations and Oversampling topology. This is why AKM and ESS don’t really have any obvious changes in sound signatures. When they do, the best kind of pcm to observe it would be Redbook standards

May 9, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #1,806 of 2,804
Even with your nice graphics it's very hard to catch the differences between the filters proposed.

Yea for most people, they probably won't hear any differences between filters. I'd say some of the linear vs minimum phase can be heard pretty easily if you pay attention to how the end of each note sounds, like how the string pluck resonates, or how sound decays. very subtle...

The roll-off filter changes are very subtle, and many times beyond the audibility of hearing for some people, especially who can't hear past a certain frequency (roll-off is subtle and starts roughly around 15KHz or even past 20KHz or to Nyquist frequency). In the case of the 9038Pro, as whitigr mentions, the rolloff occurs above 20KHz.

I think people tend to consider the minimum phase filters as more smooth and "musical". They are typically considered more "analog".

May 9, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,807 of 2,804
May 9, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,808 of 2,804
Yea for most people, they probably won't hear any differences between filters. I'd say some of the linear vs minimum phase can be heard pretty easily if you pay attention to how the end of each note sounds, like how the string pluck resonates, or how sound decays. very subtle...

The roll-off filter changes are very subtle, and many times beyond the audibility of hearing for some people, especially who can't hear past a certain frequency (roll-off is subtle and starts roughly around 15KHz or even past 20KHz or to Nyquist frequency). In the case of the 9038Pro, as whitigr mentions, the rolloff occurs above 20KHz.

I think people tend to consider the minimum phase filters as more smooth and "musical". They are typically considered more "analog".
I agreed, this is the correct way to spot it. I often tell people that it is not because I have a hearing of a whale or a bat, but just know what to listen to. With ESS and AKM, they changes after the selection in 2 seconds afterward or so, the transitions is not an obvious stall or changes in signatures as Dx300, which makes it a lot harder to spot if you don’t know what to look for

May 9, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #1,810 of 2,804
Ok for the minimum phase filters to obtain a warmer analog sound, but which one to choose to have the best smooth result ?
- Fast Roll-Off ? / Slow Roll-Off ? / Hybrid Fast Roll-Off ?
This is personal, whichever you like the best, if you can tell the difference apart that is.

May 9, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,811 of 2,804
Anyone with the Amp3Mod -- did you have trouble getting it to fit inside? The orange capacitor on mine seems to be too large and is above the notch making it not fit into my player. Tried to slightly move it to the side and down a little bit but I still cant get this thing to fit in. I havent tried bruteforcing it because I'm worried it wont fit and I won't be able to get it out

Attachments

• 20220509_144356.jpg
    20220509_144356.jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,812 of 2,804
Anyone with the Amp3Mod -- did you have trouble getting it to fit inside? The orange capacitor on mine seems to be too large and is above the notch making it not fit into my player. Tried to slightly move it to the side and down a little bit but I still cant get this thing to fit in. I havent tried bruteforcing it because I'm worried it wont fit.
I would push down on the cap as you slide it into place. It may be a tight fit but I would bet it will fit.

May 9, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,813 of 2,804
Anyone with the Amp3Mod -- did you have trouble getting it to fit inside? The orange capacitor on mine seems to be too large and is above the notch making it not fit into my player. Tried to slightly move it to the side and down a little bit but I still cant get this thing to fit in. I havent tried bruteforcing it because I'm worried it wont fit and I won't be able to get it out

I dont remember if i had to push down the big Orange cap or not.

But here are some photos you can compare with yours - hopefully helpful.

(Also good as i had been wanting to go back to Amp8mk2 and Amp8ex - after a time on amp3MOD to see what i thought now. But was being lazy)

6FA2D63D-34FC-4806-A49D-AAEA10C9663D.jpegFEB2017D-1D32-4114-A2BB-F7BCEAAEE4F6.jpeg4CFF32CC-F25A-47AB-9CDE-91A898EFA53F.jpeg96599575-B99E-441A-BC6B-B8E7AB705E04.jpeg

May 9, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,814 of 2,804
I dont remember if i had to push down the big Orange cap or not.

But here are some photos you can compare with yours - hopefully helpful.

(Also good as i had been wanting to go back to Amp8mk2 and Amp8ex - after a time on amp3MOD to see what i thought now. But was being lazy)

6FA2D63D-34FC-4806-A49D-AAEA10C9663D.jpegFEB2017D-1D32-4114-A2BB-F7BCEAAEE4F6.jpeg4CFF32CC-F25A-47AB-9CDE-91A898EFA53F.jpeg96599575-B99E-441A-BC6B-B8E7AB705E04.jpeg
Helpful images! I'll try to use some tools and see if I can re-arrange the capacitor to make it not protrude so high up. I'm a little concerned about the leads touching too. Not a lot of space in there! I may need to do some isolation work as well.

May 9, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,815 of 2,804
Helpful images! I'll try to use some tools and see if I can re-arrange the capacitor to make it not protrude so high up. I'm a little concerned about the leads touching too. Not a lot of space in there! I may need to do some isolation work as well.

Good luck

I have a faint memory of maybe pushing it down a bit. But it is an inaccurate memory retrieval possibly.

Also it takes a little more screwing in than the others. The seating has to be rather accurate.

Managed to do a quick fire listen to some other amps. Hot swapping.
Amp8mk2, Amp8EX, Amp8, Amp1mkii

Ended up putting the amp3MOD back in.

The others all have their strengths and particulars.

Hard to choose between Amp3MOD, Amp8EX and Amp8mkii personally. Amp1mkiii has more top end than i prefer (amp1mkiii more top end?, amp8mk2 more low end?, Amp8EX a good taste of low/middle/top?, amp3MOD more mids?).
And the other later amp8 variations top the earlier amp8 imho.

Saw the amp9 box - tempted to take it apart again and see if it fits if i take off the rubber protection…another day perhaps…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back