DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #1,696 of 2,804
Fully agree with that review after 2 songs on a brand new board. This amp is really good at 1st listen without run in. I suspect the review also didn't have 200 hrs on it yet so may still get better. Could be wrong about the 200 hrs. Australia may have gotten it much quicker. Nicely voiced and cohesive. I always worry about cohesiveness when numerous bypass caps are used.
Mine definitely doesn't have 200 hours on it yet. Prior experience has taught me to expect any noticeable burn-in changes in the first 24 hours, after that I generally find them to be extremely minor or unnoticeable. Takes me back to all the chatter around the WM1A/WM1Z "requiring" hundreds of hours or your impressions were invalid. :ksc75smile:

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #1,698 of 2,804
Mine definitely doesn't have 200 hours on it yet. Prior experience has taught me to expect any noticeable burn-in changes in the first 24 hours, after that I generally find them to be extremely minor or unnoticeable. Takes me back to all the chatter around the WM1A/WM1Z "requiring" hundreds of hours or your impressions were invalid. :ksc75smile:
I find it depends on the piece, res and construction. I've actually experienced things getting worse in the 1st day... before they get better. Other items that don't change much. I think it's better to use worst case to be certain. That said, this board sounds great on 1st listen.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #1,699 of 2,804
Ok, I have been doing burn-in on the MOD-3 AMP, and wow! So, so much more dynamics, and that is only after 6 hours. This is not a placebo, as I have had my dad and a friend listen. They both noticed an instant change in quality.
I also noticed this. It's an area the Andromeda 2020's are particular weak in, or should I say were weak in because the Leo Plus cable took things up a couple of notches in that department. I've become a big believer in 8 wire cables, and of course the grander soundstage also plays to the DX240's strength which is only enhanced by the AMP3MOD. Synergy is such a big part of the game.

That said after writing the review I found time to try the AMP3MOD with my other earphones and was happily rocking out with the humble Blon-BL03's thinking "yeah I could probably live with this if I had to". Absence of detail obviously, but it doesn't have to be all about detail. Music flows beautifully with the AMP3MOD.

My natural curiosity craves impressions of the DX240/AMP3MOD up against the heavy-hitters of the DAP world but I suspect this is where diminishing returns kick like a mule. Would spending thousands more and almost doubling the weight of the player be worth it? I'm more tempted by the IE900s to feed my EDM sub-bass fetish.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,700 of 2,804
20220415_145205.jpg

Just purchased and received a DX240 kit....
:)

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,702 of 2,804
...and don't forget to compare performance with various case materials. TPU vs leather vs nude.

grenade-fail.gif

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,703 of 2,804
...and don't forget to compare performance with various case materials. TPU vs leather vs nude.

grenade-fail.gif
LOL. I always though that the whole steel vs copper vs aluminum thing was silly. Can it sound different? Sure, mass and damping affects resonance etc. but In fact, Aluminum is the lightest, has the best RF rejection and is close to copper in conductivity. Seems like the best one for a DAP and I'd think they were all pretty damped in your pocket, LOL.

:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #1,705 of 2,804
I also noticed this. It's an area the Andromeda 2020's are particular weak in, or should I say were weak in because the Leo Plus cable took things up a couple of notches in that department. I've become a big believer in 8 wire cables, and of course the grander soundstage also plays to the DX240's strength which is only enhanced by the AMP3MOD. Synergy is such a big part of the game.

That said after writing the review I found time to try the AMP3MOD with my other earphones and was happily rocking out with the humble Blon-BL03's thinking "yeah I could probably live with this if I had to". Absence of detail obviously, but it doesn't have to be all about detail. Music flows beautifully with the AMP3MOD.

My natural curiosity craves impressions of the DX240/AMP3MOD up against the heavy-hitters of the DAP world but I suspect this is where diminishing returns kick like a mule. Would spending thousands more and almost doubling the weight of the player be worth it? I'm more tempted by the IE900s to feed my EDM sub-bass fetish.
LOL, we likely reached diminishing returns hundreds back but it's so worth it 'to me'. That said, there's a limit to qualitative differences for this format's main use (portable with earphones) so some of it becomes finding a flavor/interface along with enough res for the files you use. I still think the technicalities/delineation of the stock board will not be significantly surpassed by any of the subsequent amp cards but I'm really enjoying the character of amp3MOD quite a bit since I tend to lean toward more analytical transducers.

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,706 of 2,804
That said, there's a limit to qualitative differences for this format's main use (portable with earphones)
This is the big irony of the hobby I find.

Yesterday I took a couple of long train trips, 90 minutes both ways. All I had with me was my AirPod Pro's and the free version of Spotify no less, and I was perfectly content. The noise cancellation works brilliantly (easily the most important aspect of any earphone in a noisy environment) and the background carriage rattling would've drowned out most of the fidelity a better setup would've provided anyway.

So the vast majority of time I spend with the DX240 will be at home in desktop situations, where its' portability means it doesn't have to be anchored to any particular desk. Perhaps this is why I'm a fan of transportable form-factor gear and would love to see it occupy a bigger slice of the market, though no doubt manufacturers know their audience well enough to calculate if demand justifies R&D costs. To me transportable gear is reminiscent of the iPad - too large to fit in a pocket but far better than a phone when you're lounging around at home, and better in many ways than a TV that only points one way.

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #1,707 of 2,804
This is the big irony of the hobby I find.

Yesterday I took a couple of long train trips, 90 minutes both ways. All I had with me was my AirPod Pro's and the free version of Spotify no less, and I was perfectly content. The noise cancellation works brilliantly (easily the most important aspect of any earphone in a noisy environment) and the background carriage rattling would've drowned out most of the fidelity a better setup would've provided anyway.

So the vast majority of time I spend with the DX240 will be at home in desktop situations, where its' portability means it doesn't have to be anchored to any particular desk. Perhaps this is why I'm a fan of transportable form-factor gear and would love to see it occupy a bigger slice of the market, though no doubt manufacturers know their audience well enough to calculate if demand justifies R&D costs. To me transportable gear is reminiscent of the iPad - too large to fit in a pocket but far better than a phone when you're lounging around at home, and better in many ways than a TV that only points one way.
Viva la difference. I don't much enjoy using my phone for music. Even with a good dongle.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #1,708 of 2,804
Just modded my AMP1MK3 card - replaced the two largest electrolytic caps with a pair of Elna Silmic II's I had lying around using Oyaide SS-47 solder. Smaller electrolytics are much harder to get at so I've left them alone for now.

Pics & impressions to follow after burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back