DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Apr 21, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,729 of 2,804
Do you think it's worth waiting for the Dx320 or moving on to the Dx240?
They are very different. The 240 being smaller and different dac chips and only one person has made a statement to the sound of the DX320 and that is from LTA as they have one for the Axpona Chicago show and he stated that it was holographic and seemed quite impressed. It shouldn't be long before they are available. I often take my DX240 out hiking.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,730 of 2,804
They are very different. The 240 being smaller and different dac chips and only one person has made a statement to the sound of the DX320 and that is from LTA as they have one for the Axpona Chicago show and he stated that it was holographic and seemed quite impressed. It shouldn't be long before they are available. I often take my DX240 out hiking.
Well, will the overall sound quality make up for the difference in price? against the Dx240?
Do you prefer dx240 to 300 for example?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,731 of 2,804
Update completed, everything running smoothly. Also UAPP latest version has full MQA support. The DX240 is a great little device.

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #1,732 of 2,804
Read the review. Description sounds like what I hearing via AMP8 MKII compared to the Stock AMP1 MK3. Now if only you could compare the two next
I did an a/b hot swapping of amp1mkiii, amp8, amp8EX and amp8mkii versus the amp3mod - amp3mod is quite different.
(I have some notes)
That was an out of the box comparison

I need to do a 100+ hours catch up and redo it all again for a final write up.

*family and work life has been busy

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #1,733 of 2,804

Yeah, heard from Paul that DX320 will make its appearance at AXPONA Chicago show this upcoming weekend. Maybe there will be more impressions, though AXPONA show is usually not for portable audio.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #1,738 of 2,804
AMP1MOD vs AMP3MOD Mini-Review

My AMP1MK3 with Silmic II caps has had a decent amount of time to burn-in so I've just spent two hours going back & forth between it and the AMP3MOD with tracks from the DSD version of Michael Jackon's Thriller album.

The AMP1MOD hasn't been affected by the change of caps as much as I thought it might, but the gap between it and the AMP3MOD has narrowed. Obviously I no longer have an unmodded AMP1MK3 to compare with, but this version seems to have become smoother, with more control over busy musical passages, and resolution may have gone up slightly. Overall it sounds less nervous than the stock version, a definite improvement though of course I'd have a clearer impression testing them side-by-side.

The AMP1MOD is noticeably more dynamic than AMP3MOD, notes have greater attack, and instruments feel be a touch larger. In fact the sound may be slightly louder overall at the same DX240 volume setting. Overall it delivers a more immediately "impressive" presentation, being more in-your-face than the AMP3MOD and featuring slightly deeper, more impactful bass. In fact I'd characterise it as a more V-shaped sound overall.

Interestingly, despite lavishing these compliments upon the AMP1MOD I don't necessarily prefer it to the AMP3MOD. It is noticeably more aggressive (though perhaps slightly less so than the unmodded AMP1MK3) which does grab attention, but fatigues over time. The AMP3MOD despite being softer and smoother, meshes elements of the soundstage together to form a convincing portrait of a congealed-whole, yet somehow allows individual instruments to stand out enough that it never feels like imaging is lacking - the result is greater musical enjoyment, without feeling compelled to examine instruments because they stand out unnaturally.

The AMP3MOD also has a differently-shaped soundstage that's quite difficult to describe. It may not stretch quite as wide as the AMP1MOD, yet somehow feels more realistic and less artificially-stretched. There's a feeling of naturalness the AMP1MOD lacks. With the AMP1MOD I find myself constantly flipping through tracks to hear how they sound, but struggling to listen to them from beginning to end, whereas with the AMP3MOD I'm effortlessly swept up with the music and how it sounds seems less important... even though it sounds amazing. Effortless is the word I've been looking for, as is transparency in the truest tube amp sense - the AMP3MOD gets out of the way and lets the music do it's thing. AMP1MOD does a lot of things better but just isn't tuned as perfectly.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #1,739 of 2,804
AMP1MOD vs AMP3MOD Mini-Review

My AMP1MK3 with Silmic II caps has had a decent amount of time to burn-in so I've just spent two hours going back & forth between it and the AMP3MOD with tracks from the DSD version of Michael Jackon's Thriller album.

The AMP1MOD hasn't been affected by the change of caps as much as I thought it might, but the gap between it and the AMP3MOD has narrowed. Obviously I no longer have an unmodded AMP1MK3 to compare with, but this version seems to have become smoother, with more control over busy musical passages, and resolution may have gone up slightly. Overall it sounds less nervous than the stock version, a definite improvement though of course I'd have a clearer impression testing them side-by-side.

The AMP1MOD is noticeably more dynamic than AMP3MOD, notes have greater attack, and instruments feel be a touch larger. In fact the sound may be slightly louder overall at the same DX240 volume setting. Overall it delivers a more immediately "impressive" presentation, being more in-your-face than the AMP3MOD and featuring slightly deeper, more impactful bass. In fact I'd characterise it as a more V-shaped sound overall.

Interestingly, despite lavishing these compliments upon the AMP1MOD I don't necessarily prefer it to the AMP3MOD. It is noticeably more aggressive (though perhaps slightly less so than the unmodded AMP1MK3) which does grab attention, but fatigues over time. The AMP3MOD despite being softer and smoother, meshes elements of the soundstage together to form a convincing portrait of a congealed-whole, yet somehow allows individual instruments to stand out enough that it never feels like imaging is lacking - the result is greater musical enjoyment, without feeling compelled to examine instruments because they stand out unnaturally.

The AMP3MOD also has a differently-shaped soundstage that's quite difficult to describe. It may not stretch quite as wide as the AMP1MOD, yet somehow feels more realistic and less artificially-stretched. There's a feeling of naturalness the AMP1MOD lacks. With the AMP1MOD I find myself constantly flipping through tracks to hear how they sound, but struggling to listen to them from beginning to end, whereas with the AMP3MOD I'm effortlessly swept up with the music and how it sounds seems less important... even though it sounds amazing. Effortless is the word I've been looking for, as is transparency in the truest tube amp sense - the AMP3MOD gets out of the way and lets the music do it's thing. AMP1MOD does a lot of things better but just isn't tuned as perfectly.
I'm really tempted to buy a Dx240, it's been getting really good reviews....maybe more than the dx300

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,740 of 2,804
I did an a/b hot swapping of amp1mkiii, amp8, amp8EX and amp8mkii versus the amp3mod - amp3mod is quite different.
(I have some notes)
That was an out of the box comparison

I need to do a 100+ hours catch up and redo it all again for a final write up.

*family and work life has been busy
This only means iBasso needs to put out an 'AMP3 MKII' for DX240 owners based on the AMP3MOD right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back