DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #1,681 of 2,804
I'm finding that my player after a mere 20 minutes of use playing mp3s gets quite warm, is this normal?
I only play flac, but I'm finding DX240 to rarely, if ever, get warm. Definitely stays cooler than either DX200 or DX220 did. But playing high res flac or keeping it on the charger often and while playing... I've never noticed it getting unusually warm, if at all.

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #1,682 of 2,804
I'm finding that my player after a mere 20 minutes of use playing mp3s gets quite warm, is this normal?
If its a newly bought dap - i usually find (modern/recent) new daps have a bit of heat to them - up to 20-50 hours use - then cool off to a cool ‘normal’ temperature.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #1,683 of 2,804
If its a newly bought dap - i usually find (modern/recent) new daps have a bit of heat to them - up to 20-50 hours use - then cool off to a cool ‘normal’ temperature.
I found out my issue with excessive heat build up. I had left BT on and was using the player in Android mode to play files. Once I switched to Mango OS after turning BT off, the player became cool and never became more than mildly warm even after many hours. A relief since I have already received a faulty Amp8mk2 module and thought the DAP was faulty as well. I would like to know if anybody else has had a bad module.
I only play flac, but I'm finding DX240 to rarely, if ever, get warm. Definitely stays cooler than either DX200 or DX220 did. But playing high res flac or keeping it on the charger often and while playing... I've never noticed it getting unusually warm, if at all.
I was using mp3 files to further increase battery life during the burn-in process. My entire music library consisting of 750gb of data is 98% in the Flac format.

I am very stoked with the screen quality on this unit, album art looks positively fantastic and I find myself studying the images due to their stellar quality.
My only concern though is the volume knob, I can see this potentially being a point of concern going forward. The knob wobbles to much for my liking and therefore it needs a thicker stem inside to prevent this small irregularity, the constant side moment of this wheel when used can and is putting more pressure on the internal electronic part deceasing it's life. I would also have preferred the thickness of the wheel to be greater, to facilitate better grip. I am not a fan of these wheels due to the fact one has to make many complete 360 degree turns of the wheel to get a sizable increase in volume. It would be nice if in software one could adjust the amount of volume change per given moment or rotation. Otherwise the unit is very well made, not up to Sony standards although getting there.
I am going slowly crazy trying to choose a new IEM for this player, the choice is mind blowing to say the least. Any recommendations around the $800 mark.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #1,684 of 2,804
.A relief since I have already received a faulty Amp8mk2 module and thought the DAP was faulty as well. I would like to know if anybody else has had a bad module.
I thought I recieved a bad amp8 mk2. I noticed when I took the amp1 out, once the screws were loose, it just kinda fell out... like the circuit board wasn't seated tightly in the socket. When I put the amp8 in, I couldn't get it to seat tightly in the socket... it just kinda "fell" in. Since the amp1 seemed the same, I went ahead and tightened the mounting screws for the amp8 and tried it anyway. No sound. Took amp8 out and tried to reseat it... same. But then I just put my fingers on top side of player, and thumb on bottom (on the amp) and squeezed together to see if I could get the terminals on the amp to seat/connect better to the socket. It connected immediately and I got sound. I tightened the amp set screws a little more, and it's been working fine ever since.

It is a little worrying that the amp cards don't seem to seat as tightly as I think they should. But it works fine and sounds great. So I'm not gonna worry about it until/unless there's an actual problem.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #1,685 of 2,804
My original almost fell out, when I slightly pried it out it then feel in my hand. The amp8mk2 I noticed fell out when removed although were they differed was reseating them. The original has a small click or snap when inserting although the amp8mk2 did not which does not sound correct. I have noticed the gold pins do not extend all the way to the top of the printed circuit board, I wonder if this is the reason. I will need to remove the original amp and compare. I have also measured the board from the back (socket end) to the top of the board (pins) and it equates to 30mm, this I also need to compare to the original. My revision number on the amp8mk2 is scribed as 10.0.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,686 of 2,804
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,687 of 2,804
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #1,688 of 2,804
Apr 13, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,690 of 2,804
(Partial quote) …….I dont think a review of these is particularly useful as there are only 30 slated to be released into the wild as an incentive for individuals to review their already owned DX240 - buuuut it may be seen as a test device/test amp for what may work well with the DX240 and be released in the future.
And impressions are fun to read regardless by fellow enthusiasts, myself included as i suck up any information on whatever i am interested in.

So if the 30 recipients of the Amp3MOD give ‘yea or nay’ feedback on the amp3MOD …if ‘yea’ we may see future release tuned this way perhaps.
………

Edit @Frabera

I wrote the same earlier.

I think there is a place for it. See above.

I will put my thoughts in writing eventually too, just for the record, the curious and as feedback to ibasso.

Probably not a full blown review as. @Bosk did (i think bosk pretty much covered it).

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,691 of 2,804
I think there is a place for it. See above.

I will put my thoughts in writing eventually too, just for the record, the curious and as feedback to ibasso.
Very glad you enjoyed my review ExpatinJapan! They certainly did a heck of a job on this amp, I couldn't be happier with it.

Reviews may also be useful for some if DX240's with AMP3MOD's ever pop up on the second hand market. A real shame they can't be mass-produced, but perhaps the feedback helps guide future iBasso efforts. Now I'm very keen to hear how they compare to AMP8 cards, as I naturally wonder "are all iBasso AMPs this good?!".

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,692 of 2,804
It looks like my amp is on the move finally. Oh, and look what UPS dropped off. Fir Audio V x Vs.

IMG_0419(1).JPG

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #1,693 of 2,804
Do the discrete amp cards use less power? My MOD amp will be here today, and I was wondering if it would use less power than the one on it has now?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #1,694 of 2,804
If anyone want to know how the amp3MOD sounds etc

This review is a good overview and summary.

It fits in/agrees with my experience of the amp3MOD

Well done @Bosk
Fully agree with that review after 2 songs on a brand new board. This amp is really good at 1st listen without run in. I suspect the review also didn't have 200 hrs on it yet so may still get better. Could be wrong about the 200 hrs. Australia may have gotten it much quicker. Nicely voiced and cohesive. I always worry about cohesiveness when numerous bypass caps are used.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #1,695 of 2,804
Ok, I have been doing burn-in on the MOD-3 AMP, and wow! So, so much more dynamics, and that is only after 6 hours. This is not a placebo, as I have had my dad and a friend listen. They both noticed an instant change in quality.

IMG_0424(1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0425(1).JPG
    IMG_0425(1).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0426(1).JPG
    IMG_0426(1).JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back