Dx200 and DSD512, How, Why ?
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #106 of 153
regarding the xivero converter: sometimes when I try to load a flac file to be converted I get a pop-up message window that reads something like " xx files found, (some number less than xx) loadable" and the loadable flies show up in the window but the whole thing is frozen. The pop-up window has an x button that doesn't close the window and it has a cancel button that doesn't either. It seems to be random as some albums from an artist will function will convert just fine but others will not. The only remedy so far is to restart the computer and try another folder. I found nothing in the xivero forum about it.

All the flac files were ripped with dbpoweramp so I'm just wondering if there are some that are corrupted some way. However they all play just fine in 16/44. I think I might try re-ripping one to see if that comes out the same.

Other than that I really like the results.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #107 of 153
Conclusion:It's the disc(s). I only tried one. Re-rip in dbpoweramp shows errors in the final track then it won't load properly into XiSRC. So I tried a rip in EAC and the same track showed errors but that copy did load and process in XiSRC. Strange but as long as the results are good.

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #108 of 153
Hi @Whitigir
And thank you here too for you answer in the other thread.
I think it's perfect the example of the ingredients and the baker to better understand.

Bought XISRC and I will do soon some conversion to test with my ears.
Just a question. I think it does not have too much sense to convert some good dsd native file (64, 128or 256) while I suppose I can see more difference if I convert some standard 44/16 or 96/24 or not?

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #109 of 153
Hi @Whitigir
And thank you here too for you answer in the other thread.
I think it's perfect the example of the ingredients and the baker to better understand.

Bought XISRC and I will do soon some conversion to test with my ears.
Just a question. I think it does not have too much sense to convert some good dsd native file (64, 128or 256) while I suppose I can see more difference if I convert some standard 44/16 or 96/24 or not?

Let us know how you are liking it :)

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #111 of 153
1. How is amp 8 different from amp 4?

2. Does Qobuz work with this player without drop outs and can songs be downloaded to the player directly?

3. In addition to using this DAP when away from home, can it be used as a source music server via optical out to a CHORD DAVE DAC?

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #112 of 153
Exactly the thread I was looking for. :) Did any of you make any comparisions of PCM to its DSD256/512 converted version on Hugo2?

Hopefully this week I will try upconverting some of my good quality PCM music to DSD512 and test with my oppo 205, which has the ES9038PRO. I don't know how well it performs with headphones, as I use it to connect to pure analog HEDD studio monitors (yes, I use pro studio monitors in my living room for listening to music), but I am dying to give it a try, both with monitors and HP as soon as my business trip ends.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #113 of 153
Exactly the thread I was looking for. :) Did any of you make any comparisions of PCM to its DSD256/512 converted version on Hugo2?

Hopefully this week I will try upconverting some of my good quality PCM music to DSD512 and test with my oppo 205, which has the ES9038PRO. I don't know how well it performs with headphones, as I use it to connect to pure analog HEDD studio monitors (yes, I use pro studio monitors in my living room for listening to music), but I am dying to give it a try, both with monitors and HP as soon as my business trip ends.

When I got the Sennheiser HD800 I tested them with my UDP205. I used a ssd with flac files as well as redbook cd and sacd discs in the Oppo. My Conclusion?: The louder the better. The Oppo drove the 300 ohm HD800 with plenty of grunt. And I didn't really pay attention to sound signature characteristics but it was sweet with whatever I threw at them. That is my preferred pairing for the 800's although I mostly use them with the DX208 and dsd 512.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #114 of 153
When I got the Sennheiser HD800 I tested them with my UDP205. I used a ssd with flac files as well as redbook cd and sacd discs in the Oppo. My Conclusion?: The louder the better. The Oppo drove the 300 ohm HD800 with plenty of grunt. And I didn't really pay attention to sound signature characteristics but it was sweet with whatever I threw at them. That is my preferred pairing for the 800's although I mostly use them with the DX208 and dsd 512.

Cool! Did you make any comparisions of the software on Oppo - AuI ConverteR vs Xivero? I recently sold an IEM and the money on my PayPal account is itching bad. :) If I hear any little amount of improvement, I might even get the AuI ConverteR.

Oh, I see you have the T1p and I am thinking of getting an office closed headphone. Do you think T1p or T5p would be revealing enough for DSD256/512?

I had the DX200 previously but I will hopefully go back to the iBasso era with the DX220.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #115 of 153
Cool! Did you make any comparisions of the software on Oppo - AuI ConverteR vs Xivero? I recently sold an IEM and the money on my PayPal account is itching bad. :) If I hear any little amount of improvement, I might even get the AuI ConverteR.

Oh, I see you have the T1p and I am thinking of getting an office closed headphone. Do you think T1p or T5p would be revealing enough for DSD256/512?

I had the DX200 previously but I will hopefully go back to the iBasso era with the DX220.

The T1p are very sensitive and to my ear are more than worthy of DSD512 listening.

I don't use any software add on in any of my equipment. I just prefer to keep things stock.

Just bear in mind that I have a hard time (not impossible mind you) telling the quality difference between dsd512 and 16/44 flac files. On the equipment I have it all sounds just sublime. I certainly would not even try to explain the sound to anyone else. I do know what I like though. So the pairings I like the best are HD800 with the Oppo or the DX208: top of the group to me. Then is the T1p with the DX200TI amp1TI. Next is the Kann with b/t connection to DSR9bt: those cans are just good and have relegated the QC35ii to noise cancelling required duty. The DX120 most often finds itself connected to the aux in port in the Volvo or feeding the 99 Classics. And my poor little DX90 sits on the night stand feeding the Bose Wave radio.

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #117 of 153
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #118 of 153
At last I have tried it briefly. My ears are still clogged from the flight yesterday night so I will do it again, but...

Yesterday as soon as I arrived home, I converted an 88.2 kHz file to DSD512 and played it over USB through Oppo 205. I played them both and I could not hear really any difference. But I am blown away with the HP output of Oppo with ES9038PRO, using my Ultrasone Jubilee 25 (many don't like it but it is an extremely sensitive and revealing HP - the best dynamic HP I have ever heard). By the way, only HQPlayer was able to properly play the DSD512. Others, like JRiver had lots of hickups.

Today I tried converting a 44.1 kHz file to DSD256 and tried listening through the balanced output of my WM1Z. First thing I noticed was, WM1Z spectrum analyzer did not have any frequency component above 16 kHzfrom the FLAC file. But surprise! The DSD256 file I converted has components >16 kHz! I am past 40 now and my hearing starts to go down about 15.5 kHz and about 16.5 kHz it is silence, plus my clogged ears from yesterday. But I noticed the drum sticks touching the cymbals for the first time in this (pretty slow) piece. Then I went back to the FLAC file and still could hear it but not that well isolated and noticeable.

So yes! Offline conversion, even very very tiny, but makes difference on WM1Z. Especially if you are able to hear >16 kHz it might be really interesting. Just download the demo of the conversion SW and give it a go! I decided to buy one of the SW and buy a new large hard disk and covert all my music to DSD256/512.

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #120 of 153
To all of the DSD512 adopter. I have found some good news regarding the best converter for DSD512. The year of 2019 is an excellent year!

HQPlayer Desktop: has been an excellent desktop app for live-conversion, which needs a dedicatedly built PC to benefit from the DSD512 quality. When done right, HQPlayer is the best of sound performances when I compared it with others

Our same Developer is going to release HQPlayer 4 Pro, which will be featuring all the features of the original HQPlayer Desktop and allow Offline conversions. The plethora of mind blowing choices for different options of Digital filters, noise-shaping, Delta-sigma modulators are Awesome! I feel like being a kid in a candy store.

By using HQPlayer Desktop for live conversion, I could easily navigate down my favorite combinations of the processing needed. Therefore, I used the same to offline convert my files into DSD512, and the result is mind blowing !!

We have words from the developer that HQPlayer 4 Pro will be released in a couple months! And for people who would love to benefit with DSD512, once again, an offline conversion will save you a lot of money that should have been drained away into building your own PC that is powerful enough, and dedicated toward sound performances for live-conversions.

Finally, Samsung EVO select and EVO line are available over Amazon Us !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back