Dx200 and DSD512, How, Why ?
May 17, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #136 of 153
HQ Player can offline conversion?

I thought it is on the fly conversion for DX200 as usb dac?

May 17, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #137 of 153
HQ Player can offline conversion?

I thought it is on the fly conversion for DX200 as usb dac?

There's HQ Player and HQ Player Pro. The Pro version does offline conversion.

However, they are intended for two very different purposes and two very different markets. The Pro version is meant to be bought by professional mastering engineers. It's actually meant primarily for converting down to PCM from DSD, MQA, etc. rather than up converting. It's just that it up converts better than any other algorithm on the market by a clear margin.

The very very very bad news is the price: $2932.53.

I'm so sorry.

May 17, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #139 of 153
Has XiSRC fallen out of favor?

No not at all. It is definitely a worthwhile converter, and the best place to start given it's bargain price. It will give you a chance to see how much of a difference DSD512 makes in your system. The more resolving your downstream equipment the more you will hear its benefits. It will also allow you to live the costs for a while too, the added heat and demand on the player, but mostly the huge storage requirements.

If you decide DSD512 is a worthwhile investment, I personally think AuI is worth the upgrade if you choose the package wisely rather than by the whole program.

I'm not sure, but I think Whitigir believes the improvement is not really it, and that's another vote then for XiSRC.

From there, HQPP is just in a different league in every way.

May 17, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #140 of 153
No not at all. It is definitely a worthwhile converter, and the best place to start given it's bargain price. It will give you a chance to see how much of a difference DSD512 makes in your system. The more resolving your downstream equipment the more you will hear its benefits. It will also allow you to live the costs for a while too, the added heat and demand on the player, but mostly the huge storage requirements.

If you decide DSD512 is a worthwhile investment, I personally think AuI is worth the upgrade if you choose the package wisely rather than by the whole program.

I'm not sure, but I think Whitigir believes the improvement is not really it, and that's another vote then for XiSRC.

From there, HQPP is just in a different league in every way.
I agree with many things @edwardsean stated

May 17, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #141 of 153
Since we are not using the HQPP for commercial or professional purposes, there is a grey area for using an unpaid full version of HQPP. Sort of like making fanart where you are using intellectual property but not for commercial purposes.

May 17, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #142 of 153
Then can we make a secret group to share the program? :)

May 17, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #143 of 153
Then can we make a secret group to share the program? :)
No need for that haha

A simple Google search should give you what you want

May 19, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #144 of 153
What about an R2R DAC which does not do the multibit DSD conversion? I really wish I had the chance to compare something like R2R2000 (which costs 3x the price of DX220) to a DSD512 upconverted sigma-delta DAC DAP. Did any of you have a chance to make the comparision?

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #145 of 153
Another question. How does the volume control work in a DSD bypass delta sigma DAC? Doesn't it have to be in PCM mode for digital volume control?

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #146 of 153
Doesn’t matter if it is R2R or Sigma-Delta...the only differences is how the digital signals are being fed and processed between different methods....the principles are the same, to quantize, noise shaping, and dithering as needed. At the end of it chains the signal would be 1 bit DSD that is being fed directly into analog filters and become analog signals

Not too sure exactly how digital volumes are going to be implemented on those sigma delta, but it will affect the amplitudes of the signal and clipping headroom and so on. This is a reason why many high-end desktop DAC are using straight out signals without digital attenuation. The DMP Z1 from Sony for example has disabled digital volumes inside AKM chip and uses analog attenuation instead. It is so that low volume listening wouldn’t affect the sound quality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back