DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #21,031 of 22,021
Correction, S/PDiF (Sony / Phillips Digital interFace) is a standard developed by Sony and Phillips and includes both coaxial and optical digital transmission. Would be good if people used coaxial or optical in their descriptions instead of the ambiguous S/PDiF standard.
I should just answer this question regarding Dx200 as a Transport too, which I did mentioned about it before. Here is just to repeat it again

1/ DX200 can be using Optial or Coax out of 3.5mm port uptop that is marked SPDIF

2/ Coax sounds better than Optical IMO

3/ Dx200 and an upgraded Coax Cables is a whole world differences from anything USB as a transport. Except that it is limited at DOP64 or PCM192Khz Max

***The best of it is that*** it can even outperform my built PC when I use USB as an interfaces. The evidences is very little but it has darker background and more bass dynamic+fidelity, smoother details. The physical evidence is that it can sing into LKS004 at the strictest Tolerances Bandwidth 01!

Neither WM1Z and WM-USB cables or Docking station could make it to BW01....my PC can only do stably at BW02. However, I have not used any Pinkfaun USB interfaces due to the Amanero receiver module on the LKS004, which I do not like. The only thing that outperform SPDIF out of the Dx200 is my Built PC with Pinkfaun IIS with upgraded OCXO clocks

Here is a picture

I know exactly what it is. I already clarified it with what I posted including picture previously and why I advise folk to use Coax-RCA. Not all device support SPDIF over Coaxial and Optial at the same time as Dx200, for example, the Opus players do not offer Optical out for SPDIF.

I was specifically answering the person about RCA. Therefore, I specifically wanted him to know that If and only his DAC can have RCA input, then he can use it

Thank you for keeping an eye out on me though

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #21,032 of 22,021
Thank you for keeping an eye out on me though

Touchy...

Yes, I missed your first post and apologize if my reply seemed to imply you didn't know otherwise. I was more or less speaking in general as I read a lot of confusion regarding the S/PDiF standard on Head-Fi. Since the DX200 has both I was being specific to minimize what may have already been confusion regarding outputs. Even if a device had only one or the other I would still encourage specifics. S/PDiF is a standard for digital transmission, and optical and coaxial are the input/output interface. Just trying to be helpful.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #21,033 of 22,021
Does anyone know what the output power of AMP8 is into 32 and 300ohms?

Been trying to compare vs portable (or really transportable since it will be for home and perhaps occasional office use) amps/tube amps and it's been a bit challenging!

Searched the thread and I saw that the theoretical output of 6.2vrms is 1.2W into 32ohms but that seems a bit of a stretch as it would be more powerful than many desktop amps and most portable amps?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking at ZMF Blackwood so I gave some specs of amp8 and was asked about power output at 32 or 50 ohms? In wattage? It can be tough with companies short on specs.

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #21,034 of 22,021
Hi all :beerchug:

As my dx200 is on its way and I intend to use it with HD660S as well (4.4mm) seems to me my best choice would be Amp8? Am I correct?

Cheers

Yes absolutely. Most of us prefer the AMP8 module for cans such as that. I love my AMP8w with my HD650's, my LCD 2's, and my iBasso SR1's which I'll be reviewing soon.

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #21,036 of 22,021
Just got this from Paul. This puts any concerns for me to rest.

" The AMP8 puts out around 1.2 watts or 1200mW into a 32 ohm load. A little less into 50 ohm. That should be plenty of power for most headphones. "
It is always good to get confirmation from Ibasso as a maker, but this is why I kept saying that “Dx200 and Amp8 is very capable system”

Remember, I use HD800S

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #21,037 of 22,021
Just got this from Paul. This puts any concerns for me to rest.

" The AMP8 puts out around 1.2 watts or 1200mW into a 32 ohm load. A little less into 50 ohm. That should be plenty of power for most headphones. "
Yep! It drives my SR1 great but that's supposedly only 22ohm. I tried driving the Abyss Diana Phi at CanJam NY and it certainly struggled there. I know a member here drives their ZMF Auteur from it occasionally and mentions it's good for a portable solution, but a dedicated desktop amp is still noticeably better.

However there are some portable amps I've learned about along the way that could more than do the trick:
  • Phatlab Sassy II or Sassy GT
  • RSA Intruder (a few other RSA amps as well but no new models in the past 5 years or so and would require their proprietary ALO/RSA balanced connector to gey their full power)
  • Bakoon HPA-O1M (out of production but might be able to find one... expensive tho)
That's about it. Don't see many powerful portable amps that have been released recently. The ALO stuff all has less power on paper. Woo amps have equal or slightly less power. Then again I don't know how this translates to real life power performance.

On my end I'm considering the Monoprice/Cavalli Liquid Spark which at $100 (was going to be released for $499 before he joined Monoprice) is an incredible value and a great amp that will more than hold you over until you find another solution or save up for one of the above, desktop only though.

Then again you may find DX200/Amp 8 does drive the Blackwoods well enough!

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #21,038 of 22,021
Yep! It drives my SR1 great but that's supposedly only 22ohm. I tried driving the Abyss Diana Phi at CanJam NY and it certainly struggled there. I know a member here drives their ZMF Auteur from it occasionally and mentions it's good for a portable solution, but a dedicated desktop amp is still noticeably better.

However there are some portable amps I've learned about along the way that could more than do the trick:
  • Phatlab Sassy II or Sassy GT
  • RSA Intruder (a few other RSA amps as well but no new models in the past 5 years or so and would require their proprietary ALO/RSA balanced connector to gey their full power)
  • Bakoon HPA-O1M (out of production but might be able to find one... expensive tho)
That's about it. Don't see many powerful portable amps that have been released recently. The ALO stuff all has less power on paper. Woo amps have equal or slightly less power. Then again I don't know how this translates to real life power performance.

On my end I'm considering the Monoprice/Cavalli Liquid Spark which at $100 (was going to be released for $499 before he joined Monoprice) is an incredible value and a great amp that will more than hold you over until you find another solution or save up for one of the above, desktop only though.

Then again you may find DX200/Amp 8 does drive the Blackwoods well enough!
The iBasso P5 would also work. I have that and since you can even double each buf634 and there is plenty of voltage, you can get some good power out. Balanced out on the AMP8, I suspect is as powerful as the Intruder. The Intruder is one nice portable.

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #21,039 of 22,021
The iBasso P5 would also work. I have that and since you can even double each buf634 and there is plenty of voltage, you can get some good power out. Balanced out on the AMP8, I suspect is as powerful as the Intruder. The Intruder is one nice portable.

You have the Intruder? Been very curious about it. Is the Lightning in your sig also the RSA amp?

The P5 is more powerful than Amp 8?

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #21,045 of 22,021
new firmware?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back