DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #19,876 of 22,021
Thanks for the impressions. What phones were you using to compare. Does amp4 have the drive for demanding phones? That is one of the reasons I went with the 8.
I have my AMP8 in for servicing and I only recently got my 4.4 cable for my HE6 so I haven't tried it with my AMP8 yet but over the last few days I've paired it up with my AMP4. I think I already mentioned it here too but I really like the pairing. I don't think I listen too loudly though but it could go louder too. When I get my AMP8 back, I'll test it for you.

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #19,877 of 22,021
Trying to install lurkers firmware on windows using Rock tool . I’ve followed all the steps , the pc recognises my dx200 just fine which also indicates on the factory tool, I’ve also loaded the firmware image . But when I click run nothing happens. That big Buttons just turns green . My dx200 still stays in recovery mode . Am I doing it wrong ?

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #19,878 of 22,021
Trying to install lurkers firmware on windows using Rock tool . I’ve followed all the steps , the pc recognises my dx200 just fine which also indicates on the factory tool, I’ve also loaded the firmware image . But when I click run nothing happens. That big Buttons just turns green . My dx200 still stays in recovery mode . Am I doing it wrong ?

Try it with the sdcard method, Gazz had a similar issue from PC, 8.1 flashed fine everytime, lurkers addon failed everytime, no idea why.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #19,879 of 22,021
The DX200Ti + Amp 8 (modded) is very good. Sound stage is wide and the sound is holographic. And the bass punches well. Yet I feel the highs could do with some more extension.

I'm pairing it with 64 Audio A18.

Where as Sony WM1Z (with k-mod & telos stickers) has very good extension in the lows and highs. Punches well and slightly more stronger than the above mentioned combo.

The DX200Ti + Amp 8 (modded) came to $2100. There are new and near mint Sony WM1Z available now between $2000-$2500. The battery life on Sony WM1Z is super excellent.

I own both. But have to say that Sony WM1Z (with k-mod & telos stickers) edges ahead by a good margin. I'll wait for the tube amp module and see if that makes Dx200Ti jump ahead.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #19,880 of 22,021
The DX200Ti + Amp 8 (modded) is very good. Sound stage is wide and the sound is holographic. And the bass punches well. Yet I feel the highs could do with some more extension.

Where as Sony WM1Z (with k-mod & telos stickers) has very good extension in the lows and highs. Punches well and slightly more stronger than the above mentioned combo.

The DX200Ti + Amp 8 (modded) came to $2100. There are new and near mint Sony WM1Z available now between $2000-$2500. The battery life on Sony WM1Z is super excellent.

I own both. But have to say that Sony WM1Z (with k-mod & telos stickers) edges ahead by a good margin. I'll wait for the tube amp module and see if that makes Dx200Ti jump ahead.

I respectfully disagree. I've tried them both side by side for months (un-modified WM1Z) and I find that I prefer the DX200 over the WM1Z. Just a preference.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #19,881 of 22,021

You have the point, and Your Amp8 is Modified with the MLCC as in the package of DIY I did mention about this. Some people like the MLCC, and some do not, you probably don’t want that MLCC.

It also is all in the Synergies and pairing and preferences. I appreciate the MLCC because I use HD800S :)

But I am sure that you can find the DX208TI Modified to be better in terms of soundstage and layering :wink:

Also, I can have a modified Amp8 with the Extreme-Fidelity that has excellent extensions on upper spectrum and Bass . It is called Amp8-EX :D . The potentials for the DX200 is not simply stopping at just that :wink:. The whole modification for EX can be done into the Main Unit as well, and I call it Dx208Ti-EX.

However, the EX can have many different things to be done. For example, any Amp modules can be EX modified, main unit of regular DX200 can have EX modified, or both.... :D.

Soon, you will hear more about some members posting about their EX

The EX modification is developed by me, with the help of @chaiyuta who found excellent Noises suppression TDK sheets, and @bden59 who found a good Regulators for regular DX200.

I respectfully disagree. I've tried them both side by side for months (un-modified WM1Z) and I find that I prefer the DX200 over the WM1Z. Just a preference.

I also agree with this, as the Stock WM1Z can be modified to have some benefits too :D. From my opinion, a stock WM1Z can not out perform a modified DX200, or a modified WM1Z can not out perform a Modified DX200-EX. It is slightly plausible that it can outperform the Dx208Ti with Amp8W modifications, due to the MLCC and the pairing synergies. But from a modder who modified both, the DX200 has a lot more potentials against the 1Z

EX modifications stand for EXtreme-modifications, and other stuff such as EXtreme-Fidelity, Extreme-Hardwork, EXotic parts and EXpensive components :D...it was Fun to name this modification EX ....LoL

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #19,882 of 22,021
You have the point, and Your Amp8 is Modified with the MLCC as in the package of DIY I did mention about this. Some people like the MLCC, and some do not, you probably don’t want that MLCC.

It also is all in the Synergies and pairing and preferences. I appreciate the MLCC because I use HD800S :)

But I am sure that you can find the DX208TI Modified to be better in terms of soundstage and layering :wink:

Also, I can have a modified Amp8 with the Extreme-Fidelity that has excellent extensions on upper spectrum and Bass . It is called Amp8-EX :D . The potentials for the DX200 is not simply stopping at just that :wink:. The whole modification for EX can be done into the Main Unit as well, and I call it Dx208Ti-EX.

However, the EX can have many different things to be done. For example, any Amp modules can be EX modified, main unit of regular DX200 can have EX modified, or both.... :D.

Soon, you will hear more about some members posting about their EX

The EX modification is developed by me, with the help of @chaiyuta who found excellent Noises suppression TDK sheets, and @bden59 who found a good Regulators for regular DX200.

I also agree with this, as the Stock WM1Z can be modified to have some benefits too :D. From my opinion, a stock WM1Z can not out perform a modified DX200, or a modified WM1Z can not out perform a Modified DX200-EX. It is slightly plausible that it can outperform the Dx208Ti with Amp8W modifications, due to the MLCC and the pairing synergies. But from a modder who modified both, the DX200 has a lot more potentials against the 1Z

EX modifications stand for EXtreme-modifications, and other stuff such as EXtreme-Fidelity, Extreme-Hardwork, EXotic parts and EXpensive components :D...it was Fun to name this modification EX ....LoL
I have seen your images of covering the chips with the RFI blocker. Do you put the metal cover back over the dac chips when you are done? I was going to modify an AMP8 with all Black Gate red 220uf non polar but my iron isn't working right. Can't even get a solder to melt right, strange. I have a few other soldering irons so will have to break them out.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #19,883 of 22,021
Screenshot_20181231_104328_com.android.vending.jpg

UAPP update for DX200 hires support with native dsd

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #19,884 of 22,021
I have seen your images of covering the chips with the RFI blocker. Do you put the metal cover back over the dac chips when you are done? I was going to modify an AMP8 with all Black Gate red 220uf non polar but my iron isn't working right. Can't even get a solder to melt right, strange. I have a few other soldering irons so will have to break them out.
Yes, I did put back the metal shield cover, just make sure u don’t bend it especially at the side of the amp modules

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #19,887 of 22,021
As in put the image file on an sd card and update from the player ?

Or, it sounds like you were trying to use the original android 6.1 factory tool (with the big green button). For lurker’s Android 8.1 addon, he provides the necessary installation application inside the same folder you download with the add on, which will automatically select the correct image file to flash. You will not need to browse manually.

If you choose to do the SD card method, Lurker also provides specific instructions on the github page where you download the add on. I think there may be a couple more steps besides just copying the image file to SD card and updating from the dx200.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #19,888 of 22,021

UAPP update for DX200 hires support with native dsd

Some pretty exciting days for DSD. Davy has brought his prodigious talents. I'm going back and forth between Neutron and UAPP right now. They are definitely more similar than different. Sound is fantastic from both! On a casual listen you would think they are identical. If you dig in and pick the sonics apart: Neutron is slightly fuller and slightly more defocused. UAPP is slightly leaner and slightly clearer.

As for other areas of performance:
Neutron handles DSD better. Loading and scrubbing is smoother and quicker. UAPP pops a lot more–on load, skip, scrub and stutters while scrubbing.
UAPP has a more polished UX. Album artwork previews and the whole library management are a joy.

I don't know--I like em both. What an embarrassment of riches.

Thanks again to Lurker for providing the foundational functionality!

[Side note: My preference for these Android apps over Mango Pure OS is in part because I'm running Fidelizer Advanced ROM]

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #19,889 of 22,021
Worth to mention here, that UAPP supports direct DSD512 playback as well :) Also, unlike Neutron, UAPP supports SACD ISO images, so now we have gapless SACD playback on DX200 without additional efforts (no USB Audio app is required).

Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #19,890 of 22,021
Worth to mention here, that UAPP supports direct DSD512 playback as well :) Also, unlike Neutron, UAPP supports SACD ISO images, so now we have gapless SACD playback on DX200 without additional efforts (no USB Audio app is required).

Happy New Year!

Excuse my ignorance, "direct" DSD512 is different from native and what Neutron supports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back