DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #13,936 of 22,021
Correct me if I’m wrong.. I only have AMP4S.. to me some instruments placement I find it hard to pinpoint the location.. sometimes I feel like I’m seating at some top seat looking down at the stage when listening to orchestra.. or in other genres, sometimes I found instrument is above my head. As for AMP1 it’s easier to pinpoint the location and the stage. Though the stage is definitely smaller than amp4s

Are you sure it's not a limiting factor of your IEMs or just a poor synergy with amp4s? And, are you comparing it relative to another ibasso amp module (like a default amp1) or another DAP?, assuming you are using the same pair of iems and playing the same track with everything volume matched? While it's true that AMP4s is not a match for the original AMP4 (in relative comparison to amp4s, to my ears the original amp4 has wider soundstage, better dynamics expansion, and better separation of sounds), by itself I don't find amp4s imaging to be that bad. It's actually a pretty good amp.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #13,937 of 22,021
Are you sure it's not a limiting factor of your IEMs or just a poor synergy with amp4s? And, are you comparing it relative to another ibasso amp module (like a default amp1) or another DAP?, assuming you are using the same pair of iems and playing the same track with everything volume matched? While it's true that AMP4s is not a match for the original AMP4 (in relative comparison to amp4s, to my ears the original amp4 has wider soundstage, better dynamics expansion, and better separation of sounds), by itself I don't find amp4s imaging to be that bad. It's actually a pretty good amp.

I’m using EE phantom, but first I’ve to say I’m quite new in the audiophile world and needless to say, I don’t have the strong abilities for critical listening. Yes I was comparing it between AMP4S and AMP1 (default amp) as this is what I’ve now. This is base on listening AMP1 “balance” for quite sometime then switch over to AMP4S for quite sometime. I don’t compare it base on a quick switch between the amps because I cannot remember the sound. I didn’t said AMP4S is a bad amp. Just sound slightly different that’s all. I’m still learning so I’m telling myself it’s me, it’s not the amp4s problem. Maybe I just don’t know how to visualize it yet

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #13,938 of 22,021
I’m using EE phantom, but first I’ve to say I’m quite new in the audiophile world and needless to say, I don’t have the strong abilities for critical listening. Yes I was comparing it between AMP4S and AMP1 (default amp) as this is what I’ve now. This is base on listening AMP1 “balance” for quite sometime then switch over to AMP4S for quite sometime. I don’t compare it base on a quick switch between the amps because I cannot remember the sound. I didn’t said AMP4S is a bad amp. Just sound slightly different that’s all. I’m still learning so I’m telling myself it’s me, it’s not the amp4s problem. Maybe I just don’t know how to visualize it yet

Heya, it’s not a problem. But I did demo EE line up with dx200+amp4s and all of them did not have a good synergy as I hoped for. The only EE line up that sounded nice with amp4s was the EVR.

Zeus with amp4s was ok. But only for slow and vocalcentric songs. Fast songs was a mess.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #13,939 of 22,021
Jun 15, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #13,940 of 22,021
Heya, it’s not a problem. But I did demo EE line up with dx200+amp4s and all of them did not have a good synergy as I hoped for. The only EE line up that sounded nice with amp4s was the EVR.

Zeus with amp4s was ok. But only for slow and vocalcentric songs. Fast songs was a mess.

May I ask what is the “synergy” means?

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #13,941 of 22,021
May I ask what is the “synergy” means?

It means that the iem do not sound to their best potential when used with the amp4s! It could be better but it just won’t sound as good when using with amp4s.

However for iems that synergise well with amp4s, the instrumental placement overall sound is simply magical. Such as ambient acoustic am7 or Clear tunes CT500.

EE to me always sounded the best with a warm source. Maybe that’s why you prefer amp1 as compared to amp4s. Amp1 soundstage is warmer and more intimate and this will bring out the best to EE sound signature.

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #13,943 of 22,021
You are not alone , I did feel the same as you . That's why I sold my AMP4s and kept AMP4 .

Same here. Now waiting if amp8 will sound better or not. :D

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #13,944 of 22,021
It means that the iem do not sound to their best potential when used with the amp4s! It could be better but it just won’t sound as good when using with amp4s.

However for iems that synergise well with amp4s, the instrumental placement overall sound is simply magical. Such as ambient acoustic am7 or Clear tunes CT500.

EE to me always sounded the best with a warm source. Maybe that’s why you prefer amp1 as compared to amp4s. Amp1 soundstage is warmer and more intimate and this will bring out the best to EE sound signature.

Ah thanks for the explaination :ksc75smile: I still got long way to learn and become pros like you guys

You are not alone , I did feel the same as you . That's why I sold my AMP4s and kept AMP4 .

Same here. Now waiting if amp8 will sound better or not. :D

Actually @jasonho bro already help me got 1 AMP4 in China. Hope to meet him up in Singapore soon to get from him! I got a feeling that I will sell my amp4s too haha

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #13,946 of 22,021
A714955D-A1F7-400C-836D-87F4EEDA620B.jpeg
I wanted to update to the lurker firmware, but i have this issue. When i pull down the drop down menu, i never get the usb icon to choose data. It does not change whether plugged in or not. The computer is turned on. I am running the latest ibasso dx200 firmware, which i updated with the sd card.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #13,948 of 22,021
DX200 and 150 are not sold through distributor in Japan and you only see them for sale on individual basis.
To make a long story short, unfortunately they are not "legal" yet. Products with wireless connectivity must
go through legal tests which they have not cleared. a bit touchy issue in the local market.
Thanks for the heads up. Will still probably try to contact Tei see if there is any way I can obtain the 150 when I head over to Tokyo later this year.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #13,949 of 22,021
Correct me if I’m wrong.. I only have AMP4S.. to me some instruments placement I find it hard to pinpoint the location.. sometimes I feel like I’m seating at some top seat looking down at the stage when listening to orchestra.. or in other genres, sometimes I found instrument is above my head. As for AMP1 it’s easier to pinpoint the location and the stage. Though the stage is definitely smaller than amp4s
That's why I'm not 100% sold on AMP4s it seems incoherent at times.

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #13,950 of 22,021
I wanted to update to the lurker firmware, but i have this issue. When i pull down the drop down menu, i never get the usb icon to choose data. It does not change whether plugged in or not. The computer is turned on. I am running the latest ibasso dx200 firmware, which i updated with the sd card.

You may need to enable developer options (click system/options-click build number five times) and click on "USB Debugging".

Also the cable matters, and oddly enough my DX200 will only connect through the USB 2.0 port.....my USB 3.0 ports on my PC don't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back