DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 21, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,696 of 22,021
Any guesses or ideas what sig will this DAP have based on specs alone?  I know it will come down to implementation but maybe some people here already have good guesses (or maybe they don't know they have the right guess).  Sorry.  Don't mean to start a war.  [flame suit on]

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,697 of 22,021
Haha, I could probably afford one if I should sell off all my other audio related stuff...which would leave me with a $5K dap and a pair of 10$ earbuds to listen to it :p

But, like some other member just posted in the IT03 thread: ''One thing you can count on, ibasso is fair with their prices...''
He's absolutely right about that!

That's one smart guy. :wink:

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,698 of 22,021
  Ofc all of you talking about 512/256gb of internal storage in a 'later dx200 'pro' version' dont consider how ibasso would be judged by those who bought 'standard' 64gb version earlier. Do you want to see how 'poor simpletons' riding in the 'hype train' will provide primary ROI to iBasso, therefore to give an opportunity to create a better version of their totl product? Don't you even understand how this situation could damage their reputation? Moreso do you really believe that ibasso cant implement 256gb to dx200 right now? I think it's easy for them, but they decided not to do so, guided by decisions we hardly will ever discover. Honestly, IDK why 64gb, its really 2013-2014's level... But I dont want to find out that after 6 month from my purchase ibasso will produce new 512gb version that will cost just 100$ more. It'll be ridiculous... 

My guess with the memory amount is that they (iBasso) wanted to produce a sub 1K player. Providing at a later date a version with 128/256/512GB would not be ridiculous as you put it as it will simply offer people a choice. Not everyone can afford $1200-1500 although many can spend at just under 1K with the option to buy a 'better' card later on.
My preferred look with this player is iBasso should have offered no memory although furnish the player with 2 (preferably 3) uSD slots, this would solve the money issue while satisfying people's (warranted) lust for mega amounts of memory.
I do believe that in offering only 64GB with 1 slot will over time be considered the players Achilles heel.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #1,700 of 22,021
Any guesses or ideas what sig will this DAP have based on specs alone?  I know it will come down to implementation but maybe some people here already have good guesses (or maybe they don't know they have the right guess).  Sorry.  Don't mean to start a war.  [flame suit on]

Paul said, that dx200 is exiting to listen to. It's oposite to polit, soft, rolled off, warm e.t.c. In that case sound should be clean, detailed, with strong bass, but unforgiving to some poor records. IMHO ofcourse. Only my own expectations from this product.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,702 of 22,021

Providing at a later date a version with 128/256/512GB will simply offer people a choice. Not everyone can afford $1200-1500 although many can spend at just under 1K with the option to buy a 'better' card later on.

It will for sure, but my point is: or ibasso makes just one version (as they declared dx200 with 64gb and 1 uSD slot), or they present all versions at once at the very beginning of its realization for people to choose the right one from the start and not to 'read fortune' will they offer bigger capacity or not as those guesses may delay the purchase.
Or they just force people to lose money, because of this situation: you buy 64gb for 1000$, after some time ibasso declares 512gb for 1400$ that you wanted from the start. You sell yours for like 700$ and add 700$ more for a new one. So u lose some money just because you didnt know if ibasso ever wanted to make dap with capacity you really needed.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #1,703 of 22,021
If ibasso do have plan to make larger storage version of dx200, those who buy first lot might feel awkward for not getting true-end version. I'm pretty sure ibasso will not disappoint or betray users by doing this.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #1,704 of 22,021

The specs look really good.
First, it will have a lot of power. Nonetheless, it should have very little to no hiss (SNR number is really good). The rest looks really good as well, so I assume that it will likely deliver a very clean, clear, neutral and transparent sound.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #1,705 of 22,021
Paul said, that dx200 is exiting to listen to. It's oposite to polit, soft, rolled off, warm e.t.c. In that case sound should be clean, detailed, with strong bass, but unforgiving to some poor records. IMHO ofcourse. Only my own expectations from this product.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have no idea what to expect from the ESS DAC chip that they used here.  Of course, again, implementation matters regarding the final sound output no matter which chip they use.  But maybe there are similar or common characteristics in a particular chip.  I hope this DAP stays on neutral and clean but still musical sounding.  I feel like saving more for this than the new X5.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #1,706 of 22,021

The specs look really good.
First, it will have a lot of power. Nonetheless, it should have very little to no hiss (SNR number is really good). The rest looks really good as well, so I assume that it will likely deliver a very clean, clear, neutral and transparent sound.

I haven't owned nor heard any iBasso DAP before that's why I'm asking.  But I trust that they will do an excellent tuning here.  I love my IT03 and since Paul said it pairs really well with the DX200 then I think I'll take his words for it.  I'll probably wait until reviews for this DAP comes out.

Besides the sound, the design looks so attractive for me.  Reminds me of the Trigger cases for iPhones.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #1,707 of 22,021

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have no idea what to expect from the ESS DAC chip that they used here.  Of course, again, implementation matters regarding the final sound output no matter which chip they use.  But maybe there are similar or common characteristics in a particular chip.  I hope this DAP stays on neutral and clean but still musical sounding.  I feel like saving more for this than the new X5.

Nobody does, and at this point it will be just a speculation :wink: There are so many budget and high end daps that share the same dac chipset, yet have night and day sound. Of course, implementation is important, power filtering is a big deal, isolation of digital and analog domains to keep noise from coupling in is important, but in my opinion the amp section of the design is a huge deal in shaping the final signature.

I know x5iii keeps coming up in the discussion and I think many consider it as one of the contenders for comparison, but I don't see it like that at all. Maybe when you relate features due to running on open android platform, but it has been mentioned by both fiio developers and testers (ClieOS) that x5iii is still has a mid fi sound and not in the same class as x7. So if anything, a proper comparison will be to x7 or the upcoming x7ii.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,708 of 22,021
Nobody does, and at this point it will be just a speculation :wink: There are so many budget and high end daps that share the same dac chipset, yet have night and day sound. Of course, implementation is important, power filtering is a big deal, isolation of digital and analog domains to keep noise from coupling in is important, but in my opinion the amp section of the design is a huge deal in shaping the final signature.

I know x5iii keeps coming up in the discussion and I think many consider it as one of the contenders for comparison, but I don't see it like that at all. Maybe when you relate features due to running on open android platform, but it has been mentioned by both fiio developers and testers (ClieOS) that x5iii is still has a mid fi sound and not in the same class as x7. So if anything, a proper comparison will be to x7 or the upcoming x7ii.

Example of Onkyo DPx1 VS opus 2. The same DAC 2x ES9018k2m but the opus2 is night and day away from dp-x1

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,709 of 22,021

Nobody does, and at this point it will be just a speculation
wink.gif
There are so many budget and high end daps that share the same dac chipset, yet have night and day sound. Of course, implementation is important, power filtering is a big deal, isolation of digital and analog domains to keep noise from coupling in is important, but in my opinion the amp section of the design is a huge deal in shaping the final signature.

Example of Onkyo DPx1 VS opus 2. The same DAC 2x ES9018k2m but the opus2 is night and day away from dp-x1

There are many examples of DAPs using common PCM1792, AK4490, CS4398, ES9018, and WM8740 dacs while having a different sound sig 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back