DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 17, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #13,501 of 22,021
Re- release the amp4 thanks ;p

It's been a while since I've been keeping up with the stuff on this thread, however, I don't believe that iBasso is choosing not to re-release the amp4 out of any malicious reason because they want to profiteer from the scarcity and demand.
I happen to work in the electronics manufacturing industry, and there actually is a worldwide shortage of passive components, especially resistors and capacitors. Distributors and suppliers are warning of leadtimes averaging 45-60 weeks for SMT passive components, and even then, the leadtimes indicated is not a hard guarantee.

Naturally, as supply decreases, while demand remains constant, the price necessarily increases if you want to be able to guarantee availability. The price of high quality passive components with the high tolerances that audiophile products demand (i.e. likely automotive-grade at the level of flagship products) has increased drastically, with these capacitors and resistors (previously possibly costing fractions of a cent) costing many tens of times more($$$), up to maybe $0.50/pc. However, even though you might be willing to pay any cost for components required, some suppliers might not even have the stock to sell to you. Furthermore, looking at a relatively small company like iBasso, they likely do not have their own manufacturing facility, which would require them to use contract manufacturers. From what little I do know, the best contract manufacturers (in terms of production yield) that are actually willing to run in small quantities aren't cheap.

Now, with the exponential price increase in component prices, coupled with the small quantities iBasso is producing (in comparison with the tech giants like Apple and Samsung), I strongly suspect that the release of amp4s as a similar amp with internal components is due to this shortage. I am unsure regarding the BOM cost of the iBasso amps, but i do not believe their profit margins are particularly high to begin with. However, i believe there are other factors that are not known to us that have led Paul and his team to decide not to re-release amp4.

At this point, even disregarding whether the cost of producing amp4 is feasible or not, another run might not even be possible logistically if some of the components themselves are not available. I would personally rather iBasso continue as they have up till this point; they have released an excellent product in the DX200 (and the DX150), and i would like to see what other results they might have in the future from their R&D.

Please note that this is all speculation based on what information i do know; I am not an expert in manufacturing and supply chains, and so cannot have any way of knowing if my theories are accurate or not, but this is just my 2 cents.

TL;DR: maybe there's no more Amp4 because its not financially/logistically possible to produce more units of Amp4 (may or may not be true)

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #13,502 of 22,021
It's been a while since I've been keeping up with the stuff on this thread, however, I don't believe that iBasso is choosing not to re-release the amp4 out of any malicious reason.
I happen to work in the electronics manufacturing industry, and there actually is a worldwide shortage of passive components, especially resistors and capacitors. Distributors and suppliers are warning of leadtimes averaging 45-60 weeks for SMT passive components, and even then, the leadtimes indicated is not a hard guarantee.

Naturally, as supply decreases, while demand remains constant, the price necessarily increases if you want to be able to guarantee availability. The price of high quality passive components with the high tolerances that audiophile products demand (i.e. likely automotive-grade at the level of flagship products) has increased drastically, with these capacitors and resistors (previously possibly costing fractions of a cent) costing many tens of times more($$$), up to maybe $0.50/pc. However, even though you might be willing to pay any cost for components required, some suppliers might not even have the stock to sell to you. Furthermore, looking at a relatively small company like iBasso, they likely do not have their own manufacturing facility, which would require them to use contract manufacturers. From what little I do know, the best contract manufacturers (in terms of production yield) that are actually willing to run in small quantities aren't cheap.

Now, with the exponential price increase in component prices, coupled with the small quantities iBasso is producing (in comparison with the tech giants like Apple and Samsung), I strongly suspect that the release of amp4s as a similar amp with internal components is due to this shortage. I am unsure regarding the BOM cost of the iBasso amps, but i do not believe their profit margins are particularly high to begin with. However, i believe there are other factors that are not known to us that have led Paul and his team to decide not to re-release amp4.

At this point, even disregarding whether the cost of producing amp4 is feasible or not, another run might not even be possible logistically if some of the components themselves are not available. I would personally rather iBasso continue as they have up till this point; they have released an excellent product in the DX200 (and the DX150), and i would like to see what other results they might have in the future from their R&D.

Please note that this is all speculation based on what information i do know; I am not an expert in manufacturing and supply chains, and so cannot have any way of knowing if my theories are accurate or not, but this is just my 2 cents.

TL;DR: maybe there's no more Amp4 because its not financially/logistically possible to produce more units of Amp4 (may or may not be true)

I work in Electronics also, in the US, and we also are seeing the strain on supplies of capacitors and such. Looks like the industry will need to grow to meet this new demand.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #13,504 of 22,021
DX200 can even be an end-game pairing for Audeze LCD-MX4 :)

Audiophile-Heaven-Audeze-LCD-MX4-Review-01.jpg

Audiophile-Heaven-Audeze-LCD-MX4-Review-02.jpg

May 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #13,513 of 22,021
May 18, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #13,514 of 22,021
Maybe we will see a DX200 successor with ES9038 or AK4497 dacs very soon? Add in a Snapdragon processor and we have a new flagship

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #13,515 of 22,021
So is this your last player ever
?

You know it still is my top3, no? :)

Literally one of the best ever had, to date. Where do you feel it can be improved?

I honeslty think that there is very little to add anymore to it as a portable, and things like design are a matter of personal preference. I, for one, love DX200 and how it looks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back