DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #9,871 of 22,021
Correct, but did you see the link he shared? It splits 4.4mm plug connection to two separate rca plugs, separating balanced into Left/Right connections.
I afraid that inside power-amped speakers have only 1 ground (mutual). Audio Engine never claims themselves that their products support balanced connection.. In the back of speaker, It has 3.5mm SE Line-in, RCA input and RCA output. By the way, I currently use Audio Engine A5+ as primary.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #9,873 of 22,021
That's what I'm trying to figure out. 4.4mm going to have 2 separate "grounds" going to two separate speakers. Unless speaker grounds are tied together, you are not shorting anything. The problem here is his speakers seems to be active, so I'm not sure about the ground....

Nope, will not work. RCA is always Single ended, therefore within the adapter, the ground is already joined. I have never heard anything to use RCA Balanced to be produced for the market. It is not a standard, unless you made the speakers, or amplifier yourself, and isolate the grounds separately.

Simply put, 4.4mm is 4 poles, and RCA is always 3 poles. You can not reduce the source output signals number, you can only increase it

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #9,874 of 22,021
Nope, will not work. RCA is always Single ended, therefore within the adapter, the ground is already joined. I have never heard anything to use RCA Balanced to be produced for the market. It is not a standard, unless you made the speakers, or amplifier yourself, and isolate the grounds separately.

Simply put, 4.4mm is 4 poles, and RCA is always 3 poles. You can not reduce the source output signals number, you can only increase it

I don't think you understood what I was saying, you are not going from one balanced Pentaconn connector to another RCA connector. Of course it all depends on how it's wired and as I mentioned, how the manufacturer implemented their active speaker design (in terms of L/R side ground isolation), but that particular adapter has one 4.4mm plug and two RCA connector y-splitter. If you have L+/- wired to one RCA connector and R+/- wired to another RCA connector, this Y-splitter will work as long as that speaker manufacturer has a proper ground isolation so you are going to 2 isolated speakers. It's questionable, but feasible if properly implemented.

But in general, if in doubt - better leave it alone...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #9,875 of 22,021
@twister6 : I just tought out.. If he buy this 4.4-RCA adaptor, he could test by 1) turn-off his speaker, 2) plug in RCA side to his speaker, 3) do 'Continuity Test' by multi-metter on R-,L- at 4.4 plug side... Then he could know whether it is usable or not. :ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #9,876 of 22,021
RCA, will always be single ended, period. You just can not use a balanced out from the source into any SE input. This example can be found from Headphones. You can not use a female 3.5mm split into 4.4mm Male and connect into the 4.4mm output on the player. The same for any receiving end devices, amplifiers, active speakers....whatever.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #9,877 of 22,021
During Headphone Festival at Japan, Why doesn't iBasso come or start marketing at Japan? In Twitter, I see a Chinese brand that is FiiO only...
They sold DX90, DX80, and HDP-R10 through local agent(authorized importer) in the past. Unfortunately early product of HDP-R10 with numerous bugs caused lost
credibility from the market and since then they are not successful to restore the buggy image. I guess the current importer is not as capable in doing so.
iBasso of 5 years ago is not iBasso now and they should consider change of agency now,

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #9,878 of 22,021
@twister6 : I just tought out.. If he buy this 4.4-RCA adaptor, he could test by 1) turn-off his speaker, 2) plug in RCA side to his speaker, 3) do 'Continuity Test' by multi-metter on R-,L- at 4.4 plug side... Then he could know whether it is usable or not. :ksc75smile:
You don’t need to do any continuity test. The L- and R- is connected to ground no RCA. If not, where would it go ? The insulator ?....LOL

L- and R- is active signal Inverted from L+ and R+. You can not connect any Active signals into Ground or...shorting them out

Or may be I don’t know what I am talking about. You are welcome to try it, worse case scenario, you buy new amp module

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #9,879 of 22,021
@Whitigir : No, I don't try. I am happy my Audio Engine A5+ connecting with 3.5mm SE Line-in. Just raise something if someone insist to buy and try. And with the above method, I never said that he have to connect to a source (DAC/AMP or DAP) therefore nothing is broken.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #9,880 of 22,021
You don’t need to do any continuity test. The L- and R- is connected to ground no RCA. If not, where would it go ? The insulator ?....LOL

L- and R- is active signal Inverted from L+ and R+. You can not connect any Active signals into Ground or...shorting them out

Or may be I don’t know what I am talking about. You are welcome to try it, worse case scenario, you buy new amp module

Thanks for the clarification. I assume this is the same for two passive speakers (small bookshelf ones)?

Confused because of these
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ressions-thread.659251/page-233#post-11020328
https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneMods.htm#K240 Balanced Mod

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #9,881 of 22,021
Updated to recent beta firmware.

Hmm not sure what to think about the sound so far.

Hmm. Not sure what to think about the new fw at all....

After use of about an hour or two (pure Mango only) I don't notice improvements or huge changes.
Sound seems to be the same as previous fw, and interface still not as responsive as I would have liked
Havent discovered new features yet (other than that I can't seem to find which Mange version it is on now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back