DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #843 of 22,021

Goldfish!
tongue.gif

The group?

No, goldfish as in very short memory, so don't get bored, even with small number of songs! LOL

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #849 of 22,021
Maybe DSD users will realize it's not good for portable listening at this point?
wink.gif

Nope, we need to beg to developers until they finally understand that their DSD-enabled devices need bigger storage and it doesn't cost them more than $10 to implement two more micro SD card slots or perhaps two SD card slots.

Please send Paul a message to update micro SD slots! 

a DXD album is 7 to 12GB. You can put approximately 40 DXD albums into upcoming DX200. It makes no sense to me.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #850 of 22,021
  Nope, we need to beg to developers until they finally understand that their DSD-enabled devices need bigger storage and it doesn't cost them more than $10 to implement two more micro SD card slots or perhaps two SD card slots.

DSD is a bit nonsensical to me as well (at least in this application), but I think you make a good point- if  gadget is advertised & sells based on that capability, the less storage the more that feature is undermined in real world use.

In the meantime maybe a carrying case with a secret pocket for extra sd cards
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #852 of 22,021

Do you mean 1x microSD + 1x SD  ?

I know D&A did that, on the Calyx-M.

no, i meant 1x SD.
it doesn't take more space than 2x microSD i think so it's a good compromise.

But then they would lose customers who like to use 2x microSD.

It is very clear why D&A chose to compromise with 1x microSD + 1x SD, in the Calyx-M - because it is an excellent compromise without taking much more space than 2x microSD, but still allowing lots of expansion flexibility. The Calyx-M may not have been a perfect DAP, but I think they absolutely nailed it, with the card slot decision.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #853 of 22,021

It is very clear why D&A chose to compromise with 1x microSD + 1x SD, in the Calyx-M - because it is an excellent compromise without taking much more space than 2x microSD, but still allowing lots of expansion flexibility. The Calyx-M may not have been a perfect DAP, but I think they absolutely nailed it, with the card slot decision.

1x microSD + 1x SD would be an ideal solution for sure.
but Calyx-M's battery life is piss poor for its brick size so maybe they could've improven that aspect by ditching 1x mSD slot. i don't know.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #854 of 22,021

but Calyx-M's battery life is piss poor for its brick size so maybe they could've improven that aspect by ditching 1x mSD slot. i don't know.

I doubt the SD slot is to blame for the poor battery duration.

Anyway, I don't mean for any of this discussion to cause problems for iBasso, but I hope they will seriously consider it.

4x microSD slots could cause a lot of  firmware complications, but 1x microSD + 1x SD would probably be no harder than 2x microSD.

In the meantime, I am confident the DX200 amp stage will sound good, modular or otherwise, because iBasso have shown themselves to be pretty good at amp stages (when they are not using tiny high-resistance batteries, like in DX50/DX90, which was a pity because I liked that they were quick-swappable)  - I enjoyed the clout and transparency of the DX100.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #855 of 22,021

SD card and micro SD card consume nearly no battery at all.

They have nothing to do with battery life. If you put 10 SD card slots and stream movies from all of them, then maybe but having 4 micro SD slots for music streaming will not kill battery since 3 of them will always just idle. 

Also, micro SD  card slot and SD card slot are not expensive at all.. they may cost $1 per each. This SD card adapter's price tells me that.
https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-Reader-TS-RDF5K-Black/dp/B009D79VH4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468953210&sr=8-4&keywords=sd+adapter

They have nothing to do with firmware complication either.......  
See this $10 SD card reader. It can read 7 flash storages at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Geekdigg-Speed-Reader-Slots-Combo/dp/B018S7ZNDU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1468946138&sr=8-11&keywords=sd+reader

They charge only $10 for compatibility with 7 flash storages including SD card, USB flash storage, micro SD card, etc.
If they can make it for $10 on Amazon, it must cost only $5 to do at a factory.  

That's why I'm questioning iBasso guys. If SD card slots and micro SD card slots go inside that bottom metal lid, there's no more reason to not implement more of them when DXD album is 10GB, DSD 128 album is 6GB. More storage is just better and it completes idea of a perfect DAP which can store infinite amount of high-res music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back