DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #6,391 of 22,021
I have a seagate backup drive connected to a power source and dx200 through a Y-shaped cable, I want one end to power the seagate drive the other end to connect seagate drive to dx200.

Anyone know how I need to set this up?

IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #6,392 of 22,021
Connect device to power bank first then attach the ext hdd.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6,393 of 22,021
Did you try it yourself? I've disassembled the free version to look to the changes made, and I've found out that it is the same crap as he was done for DX80. A number of settings that he took from Android forum, which have no effect on DX200, because no a line of code ever use those settings. Though I do understand that somebody would "hear the difference" :D

It's good to be competitive and all but I think talking crap on other people's work isn't something good developers do.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #6,395 of 22,021
Thanks, I tried what you suggest but it's not working in Mango or Android, i have the ext hdd formatted in exFAT, is it better to format it ntfs?
How did you decide that it does not work? With the stock firmware, it should be mounted under /storadge/default, instead of your microSD (if it is exFAT-formatted as well). With 2.2.110-L2, it should be mounted in a separate folder, by disk's UUID. I was able to use my WD My Passport Ultra, both exFAT and NTFS formatted (I have a few of them!), in both stock and my firmware builds, even without an external power supply.

Of course, if Seagate finally made a compatible disk...

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #6,396 of 22,021
How did you decide that it does not work? With the stock firmware, it should be mounted under /storadge/default, instead of your microSD (if it is exFAT-formatted as well). With 2.2.110-L2, it should be mounted in a separate folder, by disk's UUID. I was able to use my WD My Passport Ultra, both exFAT and NTFS formatted (I have a few of them!), in both stock and my firmware builds, even without an external power supply.

Of course, if Seagate finally made a compatible disk...

not enough power from dx200 to power the ext hdd with a direct usb connection (i can hear the drive spinning up and down), it needs a separate power supply.

I am using one end of the Y-cable as a separate power supply. On my laptop it works, I connect the power supply end of the Y-cable to one usb port and the data end of the Y-cable to another usb port. Also, connecting just the data end of the Y-cable alone also works. So, I'm not sure why on dx200 it is not working.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6,397 of 22,021
So, I'm not sure why on dx200 it is not working.
I don't know either. But I know that Seagate HDDs never worked with neither DX90, DX80, and now DX200. At the same time, WD My Passport Ultra are working flawlessly with all of them, with external power, or even without (DX80, DX200). Even 3TB model works. Though I didn't try the current 3rd gen, only 1st and 2nd.

It seems Seagate makes too hungry drives. Even with Y-cable, they drain current from a device, which may lead to voltage drop (on data lines) below accepted level.

As a last resort, you may try a self-powered USB hub, or even a not powered hub, but with Y-cable for HDD, to isolate HDD from DX200.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #6,398 of 22,021
I don't know either. But I know that Seagate HDDs never worked with neither DX90, DX80, and now DX200. At the same time, WD My Passport Ultra are working flawlessly with all of them, with external power, or even without (DX80, DX200). Even 3TB model works. Though I didn't try the current 3rd gen, only 1st and 2nd.

It seems Seagate makes too hungry drives. Even with Y-cable, they drain current from a device, which may lead to voltage drop (on data lines) below accepted level.

As a last resort, you may try a self-powered USB hub, or even a not powered hub, but with Y-cable for HDD, to isolate HDD from DX200.

I do have a larger bulky seagate hdd that works, it has dc power cable and data usb cable.

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6,399 of 22,021
Weird. I can get it work with ifi iDefender as splitter. I think using cable splitter should do same work.

Did you test cable with other device?

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #6,401 of 22,021
hello guys

First time use dx200 (out out box) it comes hot quickly. but when i'm done for burn in 200 hours it didn't feel hot anymore (just a little, not like before) even play DSD. is my dx200 normal?

Sorry for bad english

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #6,402 of 22,021
hello guys

First time use dx200 (out out box) it comes hot quickly. but when i'm done for burn in 200 hours it didn't feel hot anymore (just a little, not like before) even play DSD. is my dx200 normal?

Sorry for bad english
This is more or less what I am experiencing, and the burn in is always done exactly the same. I am at 180h right now

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #6,403 of 22,021
I've just got a pair of FLC8S. They sound amazing with the DX200 at 50% of the volume from unbalanced output. Very recommended!!

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #6,404 of 22,021
i ve been pairing the dx200 with the it03 (unbalanced and high gain)...On a lot of tracks (most in fact) i have to go as high as 140 to really enjoy the tracks(can go even higher). When my friend auditioned it, he went all the way to 150 and said cud go higher.
I thought the dx200 was a powerful device and i wudnt hv to crank the volume all the way up to enjoy the music....is there something wrong with the device or is the it03 hard to drive
thanx for any advice in advance...help out a noob here

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #6,405 of 22,021
i ve been pairing the dx200 with the it03 (unbalanced and high gain)...On a lot of tracks (most in fact) i have to go as high as 140 to really enjoy the tracks(can go even higher). When my friend auditioned it, he went all the way to 150 and said cud go higher.
I thought the dx200 was a powerful device and i wudnt hv to crank the volume all the way up to enjoy the music....is there something wrong with the device or is the it03 hard to drive
thanx for any advice in advance...help out a noob here

This definitely doesn't seem right. I've listened to my IT03s unbalanced out of my X5iii and Plenue 2 (and my Plenue D). I've never had to push them past 30-40/ 120 (or 140 depending on DAP) -- 50+ would be painful. Even from my iPhone I don't push the volume very high.

I suppose you could be having a tip/isolation problem. When I first got my IT03s I was very disappointed until I used the largest silicon tips to get a good seal. And I didn't fall in love with them until I got some foams.

Can you try the IT03s with another player (or even just a smartphone)? If they play OK, then the problem is the DAP. If not, try swapping cables. If that doesn't fix, then it's the IEMs. Also, try some other IEMs/cans out of the DX-200. Should be easy to isolate the source of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back