DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
May 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,196 of 22,021
I think iBasso would nail it with technically same amp as Amp1 (SE + BAL, same output power) but with more "musical" sound characteristic. Those who like current Amp1 would stay with it but those looking for a warmer, more impactful sound could finally give DX200 a chance. Guess there are quite a few people who don't like it's neutral sound. Just my two cents... Btw any news of long time promised parametric EQ?

May 11, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #6,197 of 22,021
May 11, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6,199 of 22,021
I haven't been the biggest fan of the 200 in this thread so far, but I was willing to keep plugging away to try and make it work as a DX90 and DX80 owner.

To me the 200 with Amp1 sounds like a 3 way speaker with a good woofer and midrange crossed over at 6k to a ratty metal dome tweeter. Seriously. Sizzly, spitty disconnected highs that make sticking out like a sore thumb sound like a good idea in comparison.

Amp 2? Dull. And where's the bass impact and richness? Taming ratty highs isn't just about dulling everything down. This just throws extension and dynamics at the extremes away. Addition by subtraction? On first blush, yes. Because the ratty tweeter is gone. But so in bass impact. And the mids still don't have the organic richness of the DX90.

I never heard the DX100. I wonder just how good it is. Because, so far in the pecking order of iBassos I own the sonics go like this:

DX90>DX80>DX200 Amp2 >Dx200 Amp1

A still very disappointing user experience.

Understand, I'm picky. Very picky. I spent 2 years rebuilding my speaker Xovers with option after option of resistors and caps until I found what sounded like actual music (Jensen copper foil paper and oils and Duelund cast carbons).

This does not sound like actual music. It sounds like hifi. The DX90 sounds like actual music.

Wow. I think we are listening to two different daps. That is nothing like what I hear with anything I use in IEM's or headphones. I have the AMP2 here and it is musical, dynamic and layered. I often use the Focal Utopia and it drives them without problem and the frequency response is great. Do you have the volume high enough? I don't mean to turn it up just to have it loud but I have sometimes listened to music a fairly low volume and then get serious in listening and wonder where the quality is only to realize the volume is just too low. While I find the Sony 1Z exceptional and different in sound, I find the DX200 no less a player even though it sells for quite a bit less.

May 11, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #6,200 of 22,021
Wow. I think we are listening to two different daps. That is nothing like what I hear with anything I use in IEM's or headphones. I have the AMP2 here and it is musical, dynamic and layered. I often use the Focal Utopia and it drives them without problem and the frequency response is great. Do you have the volume high enough? I don't mean to turn it up just to have it loud but I have sometimes listened to music a fairly low volume and then get serious in listening and wonder where the quality is only to realize the volume is just too low. While I find the Sony 1Z exceptional and different in sound, I find the DX200 no less a player even though it sells for quite a bit less.

That was exactly my thought, like I was reading an impression of a completely different DAP. I haven't done too much critical listening with AMP2 yet, but even out of the box it was quite impressive, very musical rich resolving sound. I wonder which headphones he is using to listen to DX200 w/AMP2. I would think anybody who is into floor speakers would probably prefer a warmer sound of AMP2 vs reference sound of AMP1. But anyway, I guess we do hear things differently...

May 11, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #6,201 of 22,021
Was it ever established definitively what causes the ghost touch screen freakout? Mine has started to do that every once in a while... about 3 or 4 times within the past week. Never before that. Is it definitely a hardware problem, and the unit has to be sent back?

I had a fairly severe case of phantom swipes with two different units. At times they were unusable. I finally received a third directly from IBasso that works like a champ - no phantom swipes at all. I suspect that it's a hardware problem. I would return your unit for a new one - no sense wrestling with that issue. It definitely takes away from the enjoyment.

May 12, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #6,202 of 22,021
I had a fairly severe case of phantom swipes with two different units. At times they were unusable. I finally received a third directly from IBasso that works like a champ - no phantom swipes at all. I suspect that it's a hardware problem. I would return your unit for a new one - no sense wrestling with that issue. It definitely takes away from the enjoyment.

I think I had the same problem. When my DX200 would get hot and I would pick it up to change songs it would go crazy. I fixed it by removing the screen protector.

May 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #6,204 of 22,021
Well now my DX200 just went bezerk on me. Touch screen not responding at all. I took screen protector off still nothing.

Power it down, and let it cool. After screen protector is off, make sure to wipe the display clean.

May 12, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #6,205 of 22,021
That was exactly my thought, like I was reading an impression of a completely different DAP. I haven't done too much critical listening with AMP2 yet, but even out of the box it was quite impressive, very musical rich resolving sound. I wonder which headphones he is using to listen to DX200 w/AMP2. I would think anybody who is into floor speakers would probably prefer a warmer sound of AMP2 vs reference sound of AMP1. But anyway, I guess we do hear things differently...
I agree with both of you which the timbre of amp2 makes it sounds more like a floor speaker set. It is now my preferred amp insteand of AMP1.

I hope their current-based balanced amp will come out soon. Cant wait to see how it further improves the sound.

May 12, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #6,207 of 22,021
I was looking for some one who tried both XDP 300R and DX200. How are they differ in SQ? Have you tried X5 iii?

I owned the X5 iii before my DX200. The X5 isn't as refined, doesn't drive headphones as well, and the interface performance isn't very good. Plus the screen is not the best. The iBasso is a much better unit in my eyes.

May 12, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #6,209 of 22,021
I was looking for some one who tried both XDP 300R and DX200. How are they differ in SQ? Have you tried X5 iii?
XDP300R has a suffocatingly small soundstage. DX200 feels like a breath of fresh air. This is pretty much the first thing you will notice. DX200 is a tad more analytical imo. DX200 is much more technically proficient than XDP300R too.

May 13, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #6,210 of 22,021
XDP300R has a suffocatingly small soundstage. DX200 feels like a breath of fresh air. This is pretty much the first thing you will notice. DX200 is a tad more analytical imo. DX200 is much more technically proficient than XDP300R too.

Thanks!! Every I know loves DX200 too. Can you compare the XDP 300R to DP-X1A? Budget-wise, I am more comfortable with either the XDP or DP model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back