DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 4, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #19,981 of 22,021
Interesting...

I decided to do a comparative listen on my Mactop using Audirvana+ for playback and some full size cans just plugged straight into the computer. Significantly better now vs. playback on DX200/Neutron OS. The volume is the same on the native WAV file and on the upsampled DSD 512 file. The dynamic range is vastly improved though, and I think I was appreciating this as a perceived volume change on the DX200/IEM's. The upsample is quite an improvement I gotta say!!! Wish it didn't take so long to do the conversion.

So I guess the bloat/distortion was related to Neutron. Gotta have a look and see what I can tweak...

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #19,982 of 22,021
Interesting...

I decided to do a comparative listen on my Mactop using Audirvana+ for playback and some full size cans just plugged straight into the computer. Significantly better now vs. playback on DX200/Neutron OS. The volume is the same on the native WAV file and on the upsampled DSD 512 file. The dynamic range is vastly improved though, and I think I was appreciating this as a perceived volume change on the DX200/IEM's. The upsample is quite an improvement I gotta say!!! Wish it didn't take so long to do the conversion.

So I guess the bloat/distortion was related to Neutron. Gotta have a look and see what I can tweak...
Did you not try playing the upsampled file on Mango OS on the DX200? Or the Mango App in Android?

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #19,984 of 22,021
Interesting...

Hi
I can't understand how could be possible the dynamic range "vastly improved" upsampling a 44/24 song into wave into 512dsd. I mean the "real" informations can't be differente since your are not starting from the master.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #19,985 of 22,021
Hi
I can't understand how could be possible the dynamic range "vastly improved" upsampling a 44/24 song into wave into 512dsd. I mean the "real" informations can't be differente since your are not starting from the master.

You should visit the other thread that I composed for this purpose

It is not about the original informations that can’t be changed, but it is about how it is processed. Are you always so sure that your algorithm and or DAC/modulators always achieve and extract the last bit of information in the original files ?

That is why playback app is very important.

*****See ? I can give you all the ingredients you need to make a birthday cakes. Does it mean that every baker will make it out to be the same cake ? Taste the same ? Look the same ? Nope! Even if each one of them used to the very last drop of ingredients. That is why it is all about the algorithm and how it is being calculated. DSD512 is not upconversion, DSD512 is a process that is relying on the algorithm and the modulations within it. Upsampling is from 44.1 into 386Khz or the like, from PCM into DSD is Processing

I know many people would debate this way, but hey, let your ears judge first. If you can’t hear the differences, then you save some money. If you can, then sorry for your wallet

Ofcourse, I have learned to not reply on posts where people only speculate on assumptions. But lately there has been a few that benefits from the DSD512. So I wanted to make it clearer

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #19,986 of 22,021
@Nayparm id be interested in having my amp1 or amp7 modded if you are up for doing one of them

Hi Alan, happy to help although I can only do a like for like AMP1ti clone if anyone wants an AMP8 to AMP8w mod doing (whitiger mod), as currently that's my only source of the 4 x grey 100uf 16v Panasonic caps, I can't find them anywhere. I can of course use 4 x Nichicon KW of the same value which I believe are higher quality than the Panasonic - or the same Nippon's used to upgrade the AMP8 in the whitigir AMP8 mod.
I plan on upgrading my AMP7 soon when more caps arrive, what i end up using here may not suit everyone. I can always send you mine once done to compare with your AMP7 and if you like, either keep mine and send me yours or send both back and I mod yours etc.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #19,987 of 22,021
Same here, and I agreed. I would take Samsung all day long, superior brand and performances even with SATA or NVME

The Samsung Evo 512 u3 micro is, far and away, the best SD card I've ever used. It has more capacity than my other cards, but performance is unbelievably good. UAPP is my preferred app now for DSD and everything else. However, when I switched over from Neutron one of the negatives was that UAPP struggled with scrubbing these large DSD files, so much so that I stopped scrubbing. The Samsung card is so fast that it smoothed out scrubbing on DSD files and I can use the function on UAPP.

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #19,988 of 22,021
The Samsung Evo 512 u3 micro is, far and away, the best SD card I've ever used. It has more capacity than my other cards, but performance is unbelievably good. UAPP is my preferred app now for DSD and everything else. However, when I switched over from Neutron one of the negatives was that UAPP struggled with scrubbing these large DSD files, so much so that I stopped scrubbing. The Samsung card is so fast that it smoothed out scrubbing on DSD files and I can use the function on UAPP.
This is good news. I have a 400 GB Sandisk right now that has served me well, but I'm running out of room. I'm going to wait until the 512s come down a bit though.

Something I've looked at is using an OTG SSD but I don't know that the DX200 will read and otg drive.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #19,989 of 22,021

Thanks for this confirmation. Hence why I love Samsung :D

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #19,990 of 22,021
good day.. alrd demo and inden for DX200. around 2-3 weeks it comes.

20190104_170242.jpg

sub this thread, and have a few question,
1) majority of my cable are still 3.5 & 2.5, is it that significant using 4.4 ? interested in AMP7
2) I read in the earlier page regarding mod using TK sheet absorb, kinda interested, will it void the warranty?
3) I am spotify premium user, which can save offline song, can DX200 save the song in SD card? Based on my exp, using X5iii, when you log off (un intentionally), the song gone and need to re download again....

if this matter already been discuss, just lead the way (link).. .

Cheers, looking foward to get this DAP

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #19,991 of 22,021

So the Samsung Evo 512 u3 micro sd works fine on the DX200? If so, does it matter if you format the card in a PC or the DX200?

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #19,992 of 22,021
So the Samsung Evo 512 u3 micro sd works fine on the DX200? If so, does it matter if you format the card in a PC or the DX200?

I’ve experimented a bit with formatting cluster size and partition mapping to try to improve sound, but I cant’ say it does anything.

Don’t format at all. Just leave it in the format it comes in. Exfat is your friend.

If anyone knows different please share.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #19,994 of 22,021
Hi all,

Long time lurker here with some questions I'm hoping fine folks here can help with :)

Several weeks ago I bought a DX200 from ibasso and once I received it, I upgraded the OS to oreo using a virtualbox windows VM. Upgrade went well! Loaded up some 16/44 FLAC I had of various genres spanning acoustic, contemporary, classical, rock, etc. Gave it a good 3-4 hour listen then compared it to the audio out of my late 2013 macbook pro. I gave the laptop a good 3-4 hours as well, then started to do a comparison song-by-song with the laptop and the dx200, separate/not in DAC mode. I legitimately felt the laptop was performing as well as or better than the dx200 on some songs I know very well. I was shocked.

I was reading here and in some of the "official" reviews people made suggesting that you burn in the dx200 for at least 100 hours before listening as that helps break things in. I didn't do this as I don't think I would notice much of a difference? I'm skeptical and would need some concrete proof (which I haven't found? It's possible I just need to dig deeper..) that burn in actually changes the sound signature of the hardware. Also, for reference, I was listening with a pair of andros using the stock 3.5mm litz cable that comes with them. Also also, I was comparing things using the amp1 that ships with the dx200. I understand that most here say the amp8 is audibly different in a good way, however, I'm reluctant to spend more money on something I can't tell a difference using, from the start :/

When users in this thread are saying there's significant improvement with the dx200, what are they using as a reference point? I read a couple posts where people expressed an improvement however they didn't mention the source they were comparing it to?

It's quite possible that I missed adjusting some settings on the dx200 that would have helped. In particular, I couldn't find the upsampling switch/option that people here mention.

Another concern I have is I plan on upgrading my laptop in a couple months to a lenovo P1 and the audio chipset they use is the Intel HD Audio. I don't know if it'll be as good as the mac in terms of SQ which has me wondering if it's worth keeping the dx and using it as a DAC later on? Also, I was able to notice a difference with the dx200 using the lighting-to-3.5mm cable vs. the dx200. It's somewhat subtle however it seems the dx200 adds depth and power where the iphone is lacking. I'm wondering if this is a resistance thing.

Basically I'm struggling to decide if the DAP is worth keeping or returning... It doesn't help that shipping back to china starts at about $60 with USPS that doesn't have destination country tracking. UPS and DHL are around $130-$150 when I checked.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #19,995 of 22,021
Hi all,

Long time lurker here with some questions I'm hoping fine folks here can help with :)

Several weeks ago I bought a DX200 from ibasso and once I received it, I upgraded the OS to oreo using a virtualbox windows VM. Upgrade went well! Loaded up some 16/44 FLAC I had of various genres spanning acoustic, contemporary, classical, rock, etc. Gave it a good 3-4 hour listen then compared it to the audio out of my late 2013 macbook pro. I gave the laptop a good 3-4 hours as well, then started to do a comparison song-by-song with the laptop and the dx200, separate/not in DAC mode. I legitimately felt the laptop was performing as well as or better than the dx200 on some songs I know very well. I was shocked.

I was reading here and in some of the "official" reviews people made suggesting that you burn in the dx200 for at least 100 hours before listening as that helps break things in. I didn't do this as I don't think I would notice much of a difference? I'm skeptical and would need some concrete proof (which I haven't found? It's possible I just need to dig deeper..) that burn in actually changes the sound signature of the hardware. Also, for reference, I was listening with a pair of andros using the stock 3.5mm litz cable that comes with them. Also also, I was comparing things using the amp1 that ships with the dx200. I understand that most here say the amp8 is audibly different in a good way, however, I'm reluctant to spend more money on something I can't tell a difference using, from the start :/

When users in this thread are saying there's significant improvement with the dx200, what are they using as a reference point? I read a couple posts where people expressed an improvement however they didn't mention the source they were comparing it to?

It's quite possible that I missed adjusting some settings on the dx200 that would have helped. In particular, I couldn't find the upsampling switch/option that people here mention.

Another concern I have is I plan on upgrading my laptop in a couple months to a lenovo P1 and the audio chipset they use is the Intel HD Audio. I don't know if it'll be as good as the mac in terms of SQ which has me wondering if it's worth keeping the dx and using it as a DAC later on? Also, I was able to notice a difference with the dx200 using the lighting-to-3.5mm cable vs. the dx200. It's somewhat subtle however it seems the dx200 adds depth and power where the iphone is lacking. I'm wondering if this is a resistance thing.

Basically I'm struggling to decide if the DAP is worth keeping or returning... It doesn't help that shipping back to china starts at about $60 with USPS that doesn't have destination country tracking. UPS and DHL are around $130-$150 when I checked.

The DAP is worth or not to be kept, that has to be answered by you, and how you are liking it ?

Ofcourse the DX200 would out perform your IPhone, MacBook, Apple devices of all kinds. That is not simply a resistances, but a plethora of other parameters that the DX200 were designed and engineered to excel.

These attributes of DX200 is on the level of Top of the line quality DAP at an Affordable pricing...
Power supply stability , linearity, frequency retentions, low noises...etc
Clock oscilliators precision, low noises, frequency, accuracy....etc....

There are much much more than that, which will only be observable when you are telling us what headphones, or earbuds you are using. Apparently, Beats By Dre and Bose will perform the same if you connect to your iPad or DX200......

What do I use to compare DX200 to ? I use my desktop system, my WM1Z, Opus players....etc...to me DX200 is worth more than to be kept, and that is why I went with DX200Titanium and even upgraded it myself to have the best out of it. Because there is nothing quite like the DX200 on the market, from my point of views, and how I acknowledge the DX200, and the only thing to improve it is ....to beef it up even further by modifications

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back