DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 1, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #19,921 of 22,021
Same reason why I still use both DX200Ti and WM1Z
Same reason for me to keep DX200Ti, DX200 and 1Z. Another reason is that iBasso supports DTS format and CUE file which 1Z doesn't.

My Ti is back to iBasso for servicing and it has been stucked at China Customs for a month.

I will let go my DX200 when I get back my Ti. I hope iBasso releases Amp9 Nutube before I get Cayin N8 :)

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #19,923 of 22,021
Sorry for the late response. I'm just trying the Susvara's with the AMP4 now and as per @Rayzilla it does seem that AMP4 can drive it to a satisfactory level. Naturally no comparison to my speaker amp MC275 VI driving the Susvara's but at least the DX200/AMP4(8), can do it.

I absolutely love the DX200 especially for its flexibility of amp swapping, open to h/w and software DIYs, large contributive supportive group. Sonically, to my preference, the WM1Z does still have a slight edge over the standard DX200. To my ears, the WM1Z has a slight edge in resolution. However I keep hanging onto the DX200 because of its potential - the DX200 has the flexibility for variations that the WM1Z simply doesn't.

For me, I’ve never actually used the DX200 with my full-size phones. I switched over to the LCDi4 as my main phone, and try as I might I can’t seem to improve on the DX200 with my desktop amp. My full-size amp has been a favorite of mine for a long time, the Moon Neo430HAD. I even built a cable with Mundorf and boutique parts and jacked the DX200 into my balanced input. I still ended up preferring the DX200, which to me is just bizarre. I finally, for the first time, put the 430HAD into standby mode. I think the DX208 hits a sweet spot for power with the LCDi4s.

As for the WM1Z, I know what a venerable unit it is, and I don’t mean to pick a fight—especially as I’ve never used it. The way you describe it though is the way I felt about the Hugo2. I have the original Hugo and was so excited about the Hugo2. I was on the H2 tour and then auditioned it again later. Each time I thought the DX200 was demolished in one area: resolution. The thing was that in every other way, I preferred the DX200 (esp. soundstage). So I swallowed my standards for resolution and stuck with the DX200. Enter DSD512....

This is going to sound way hyperbolic: With AuI Converter resampling, I feel like someone liquified the Hugo2 down to pure code and poured it into the DX200. Only now the resolution isn’t restricted by the focused soundstage of the Hugo2 but plays in the open expanse of the DX208’s balanced amplification. Too much I know. I wish I could stop.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #19,925 of 22,021
@edwardsean I've been trying to follow but would you mind listing the exact version of AUL converter than you purchased (perhaps include the price to avoid possible confusion?) along with the specific steps and conversion configurations you use? Think it'd be helpful esp for those who might want to compare with Xivero!

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #19,927 of 22,021
I guess buying the whole package for $250 is easier than working around the possible extensions ? LoL. I will do that later but for now, not just yet
Depends on your wallet - in my current case it's easier to work around the extensions than throw $250 into software that I may/may not like better/may not notice a difference on lol.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #19,928 of 22,021
Depends on your wallet - in my current case it's easier to work around the extensions than throw $250 into software that I may/may not like better/may not notice a difference on lol.

Try it with the free version, the differences is 2 seconds silence in the mid track. I am sure for 60 seconds critical listening, you can tell the differences ?
Though, I have not explored it all like Edward did, but Some. I thought it was complicated and expensive, beside that the PCM into PCM upconversion did not bring any worthy improvements to me with the addition that I prefer wider soundstage. Therefore, I went with Xivero and still yet to be looking back.

When I have time, I will try that Japanese software and see what they have in store ? Or someone else may want to try ?

Also, I agree with @jamato8 about DSD512 and MicroSD card quality. The MicroSD which stores your DSD512 will matter a lot. That is due to the fact that high-speed reading of GB of information in live time will “heavily take a toll” on your IC. We all know already that the IC can generate it own interferences , noises and heat. Therefore, it is definitely affecting the sound quality as of which you can easily compare.

My next step is to buy Samsung MicroSD as Samsung is the first one in Memory chip to publish about these cell interferences, and how their technology had improved to minimizes it. I am using NVMe from Samsung, and I can vouch for that it affect the sound performances in my dedicated Pc

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #19,929 of 22,021
Try it with the free version, the differences is 2 seconds silence in the mid track. I am sure for 60 seconds critical listening, you can tell the differences ?
Yep that should do it - but then which settings to use and which version to purchase if I/others find it better?

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #19,931 of 22,021
@edwardsean I've been trying to follow but would you mind listing the exact version of AUL converter than you purchased (perhaps include the price to avoid possible confusion?) along with the specific steps and conversion configurations you use? Think it'd be helpful esp for those who might want to compare with Xivero!

Yeah, be glad to, but I should say Jamato8 did not have a good experience with AuI’s user interface and ended up returning it for a refund (which he got). The UI is not great, and to tell you the truth, I’m not at all sure why it works for me and not others. Here is the link to the online purchase cart with my exact module configuration. It’s for Mac so you’d have to go through the steps again for Windows: https://order.shareit.com/cart/view

As for settings, I would try to leave as much alone as possible. Ignore all the menu tabs up top, at least until everything works. On the bottom, “Directory output files” select your output directory with the first square marked with an ellipsis “...” Don’t touch the other two squares as you’ll get reduplicated folder structures.

You actually don’t need to adjust “Settings” either. As long as you’re feeding it wavs your fine. Other formats will cue to download a codec anyway. For me I preferred the “non-optimized wide resampling filter,” but it’s pretty subtle. If you want to try it out. Hit the settings button, and same thing, ignore all the tabs up top and stick to the “General” window. Again, don’t touch anything else except the “filter mode” drop-down box and select the “wide resampling filter.”

In the “Output” section. Make sure “Format” is set to “DSF,” “Bit Depth” is “1 bit,” and “Sampling Rate” is “22579200 Hz” (= 512DSD). I toggle the “Dither” to off but you may want to leave it on. Then, you can load files through the buttons, but I just drag in the wavs onto the big white log screen. Lastly, press the big “Start” button and wait as the progress bar slowly inches its way for what seems like the ages of eternity.

That’s it. As you can see, it’s a lot of, don’ t touch anything, and waiting. The latter for me has been the hardest part. So I should maybe add these optional steps. While the progress bar advances: 1) Try not to lose your mind, 2) Pick up another hobby besides audio (e.g., learn to knit), 3) Go outside wearing your new self-made sweater, 4) Talk to your family and spouse (who is still mad at you by the way for spending the kid’s Christmas funds on new gear).

On a serious note, I should also offer that XiSRC is pretty great and I still use it alongside AuI. When the input file is “dense” because of the format of the file or on certain content material, I’ll go to Xivero. However, I have to say, I do think AuI is technically the better, and more resolving, performer.

Hope that helps and Happy New Year, by the way!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #19,932 of 22,021
What’s wrong with the original program you are using Vince?

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #19,933 of 22,021
Sampling the DX200 and CA Solaris with the iBasso CB12s 4.4mm.

(Covered in Twister6 Solaris review).

461BBA16-B056-442C-BA81-9A94589C3DD7.jpeg C7B9CA50-E0D3-42F1-95FA-7CFA7A15AD46.jpeg B600D433-76B0-4BB1-893D-F2835929F485.jpeg 4CAB293C-44E6-4584-B305-2F880834BA28.jpeg 58F6EF1F-9CFA-418E-8567-DF750C5F793F.jpeg 613A4E54-845C-4C08-BD85-F7857647231A.jpeg AAF78E30-3449-40B9-A250-E2142186DC36.jpeg

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #19,935 of 22,021
Sorry to stoopid the place up, but...

What is it exactly we're doing here with XiSRC and AuI? Upsampling our wav files to DSD?

I happen to own XiSRC already which I purchased as a replacement for the free version of Voxengo's r8brain for converting the music I write/record in my DAW to redbook CD specs. I did that with my last album and the software has sat unused on my computer since then. Glad to see I might be able to extract some more use from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back