DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 12, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #19,441 of 22,021
Is there a newer firmware than 1.20 ? I wonder, I have Titanium, so I think I have 1.20.
Never heard about further updates.

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #19,442 of 22,021
Probably you need to upgrade XMOS firmware to 1.20, if your DX200 was made before August 2017. You may PM me for details.
It should be hiss instead of noise.
And I had upgraded XMOS to 1.2 before.
I just checked how Neutron and Mango in both modes handle DSD512 using USB Audio.
Neutron lively converts DSD512 to 24/44.1 so it lags when the conversion is done by 64bit processing but not by 32bit processing.
But Neutron with the same settings can play DSD256 natively.
However, there was no hiss during this lossy playback.
But on Mango in both modes, the hiss is extremely audible, like playing cassette.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #19,444 of 22,021
It should be hiss instead of noise.
And I had upgraded XMOS to 1.2 before.
I just checked how Neutron and Mango in both modes handle DSD512 using USB Audio.
Neutron lively converts DSD512 to 24/44.1 so it lags when the conversion is done by 64bit processing but not by 32bit processing.
But Neutron with the same settings can play DSD256 natively.
However, there was no hiss during this lossy playback.
But on Mango in both modes, the hiss is extremely audible, like playing cassette.

You don't need USB Audio. Neutron can play DSD512 natively and it's playing fine for me. i think the problem is USBAudio app is not working like it used to pre-Oreo. I can't make UAPP play DSD using the USB Audio app.

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #19,445 of 22,021
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #19,446 of 22,021
You don't need USB Audio. Neutron can play DSD512 natively and it's playing fine for me. i think the problem is USBAudio app is not working like it used to pre-Oreo. I can't make UAPP play DSD using the USB Audio app.
You misunderstood the purpose I used the USB Audio for.
It has the capability to check the output format of recent playback in 'Show ALSA state'
Plus I have not enabled the USB Audio.
No, Neutron plays DSD512 directly, if you didn't set it up to DoP.
In either toggled on or off the DoP in Audio Settings, the DSD512 was still converted to PCM.
My orignal settings have DoP and the Native DSD in it toggled on following your instructions on Github and I am able to play native DSD up to DSD256 but not DSD512.

DSD256:
1DC24B07-5AE6-45B9-979B-640BB212779F.jpeg

DSD512:
E7C73DB6-A9B4-4780-9BDA-45CBCA8A5171.jpeg

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #19,447 of 22,021
Just realized one thing that the conversion of the song I tested was originally 24/48.
The PCM2DSD process might directly upsample it to the multiple of 48kHz and Neutron may not support direct playback of fs=48kHz based DSD.
But then it bought up one thing that using Mango to play the DSD512 (fs=48kHz), the sample rate is 705.6kHz instead of 768kHz. Just curious about the fact that it is sampled in the multiple of 44.1 instead of 48. Maybe it is the source of hiss...
Or maybe it is not supported by Mango either.
Silly me:laughing:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #19,448 of 22,021
Dec 13, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #19,449 of 22,021
i tried following even i saw it appeared DFU mode on the screen, but there's showed nothing on the IbassoUSBAudioDfu.exe screen. Any steps is missing ?

Open IbassoUSBAudioDfu.exe in Program Files if you have installed the DAC driver for DX200, connect the DX200 to PC, open the USB DAC page in Mango in Android Mode, repeatedly press and release the space under the DAC ON button until you see 'DFU mode'.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #19,450 of 22,021
Just tested the DSD512 correctly on Neutron.
The sound is unexpectedly impressive! The soundstage is wider and overall it is warmer and tenderer than PCM original files.
The vocal is stronger and much more natural than PCM. It sounds extremely alike vinyl records.
But it occupies GBs for a moderately long song and I don't know if all the audible changes are made by the filters involved.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #19,451 of 22,021
Just tested the DSD512 correctly on Neutron.
The sound is unexpectedly impressive! The soundstage is wider and overall it is warmer and tenderer than PCM original files.
The vocal is stronger and much more natural than PCM. It sounds extremely alike vinyl records.
But it occupies GBs for a moderately long song and I don't know if all the audible changes are made by the filters involved.

Welcome to the DSD512 world of DX200, the one of very few high-end DAP able to do so. We had another thread for this if you want to read into it
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx200-and-dsd512-how-why.888682/

Remember to take your dx200 out of the Pouch, and place on a cool metal surface to dissipate heat

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #19,452 of 22,021
So, I was invited to try this custom ROM from @WindowsX , Fidelizer ?

Given that it is a custom ROM every time a stock upgrade come out. And this custom ROM will cost money, my invitation will only last for this Oreo firmware. It is more like a trial. I was asked to not necessarily have to write impression about the ROM. But I am a fair person, and will always share my finding, especially if it improves sound quality. So, here it is.

If you purchase it though, @WindowsX confirmed that the firmware will stay for life of the purchase, and he upgrade as soon s possible, license is only to customers, and if you sell your DX200, it won’t be transferable, which is fair.

My point of view on this ROM ? It brings real improvements on sound performances. While @Lurker0 firmware is free and does not tamper with the sound performances, this ROM actually does, and I don’t know how. I am blind in software and coding. Anyways, what I observed is as following

Total improvement is 10-15%: better boot time !! better Dynamic, better transient energy, more musicality and fluidity, which all of them help in improving a better imagines, and so it brings a more realistic timbres with a very very slight touch of warmth (somewhat reminded me of 1Z timbres signature). Less grainy edges texture. This improvement is accross the whole Android OS like web music streaming, YouTube streaming, Mango Player.

Apollo is a good player that comes with it, which bring a little further of the above improvements, the only down side of Apollo is that it interface Need to be worked out, and I am not yet familiar with it. However, I like the search function, the all songs listed with random plays features, and that is enough.

Mango-OS does not have any improvements as I observed no improvements, @WindowsX confirmed that he is working on it, and again, you are purchasing for future upgrades too! For now, with the ROM, AndroidOS is a better performances in comparison to Mango-OS from my observations

So, is it worth it ?

Yes, for the sound quality improvements alone

In fact, I am very satisfied that I may have to download Fidelizer for my Windows PC server

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #19,453 of 22,021
So, I was invited to try this custom ROM from @WindowsX , Fidelizer ?

Given that it is a custom ROM every time a stock upgrade come out. And this custom ROM will cost money, my invitation will only last for this Oreo firmware. It is more like a trial. I was asked to not necessarily have to write impression about the ROM. But I am a fair person, and will always share my finding, especially if it improves sound quality. So, here it is.

If you purchase it though, @WindowsX confirmed that the firmware will stay for life of the purchase, and he upgrade as soon s possible, license is only to customers, and if you sell your DX200, it won’t be transferable, which is fair.

My point of view on this ROM ? It brings real improvements on sound performances. While @Lurker0 firmware is free and does not tamper with the sound performances, this ROM actually does, and I don’t know how. I am blind in software and coding. Anyways, what I observed is as following

Total improvement is 10-15%: better boot time !! better Dynamic, better transient energy, more musicality and fluidity, which all of them help in improving a better imagines, and so it brings a more realistic timbres with a very very slight touch of warmth (somewhat reminded me of 1Z timbres signature). Less grainy edges texture. This improvement is accross the whole Android OS like web music streaming, YouTube streaming, Mango Player.

Apollo is a good player that comes with it, which bring a little further of the above improvements, the only down side of Apollo is that it interface Need to be worked out, and I am not yet familiar with it. However, I like the search function, the all songs listed with random plays features, and that is enough.

Mango-OS does not have any improvements as I observed no improvements, @WindowsX confirmed that he is working on it, and again, you are purchasing for future upgrades too! For now, with the ROM, AndroidOS is a better performances in comparison to Mango-OS from my observations

So, is it worth it ?

Yes, for the sound quality improvements alone

In fact, I am very satisfied that I may have to download Fidelizer for my Windows PC server

Is this review of Fidelize Free, Puls or Pro version?

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #19,454 of 22,021
Is this review of Fidelize Free, Puls or Pro version?
It was Advanced ROM, the $99 version or so.

It was such a great improvement that I just bought this Fidelizer Pro for my PC. What can be better when I can optimize my PC in a few clicks ! Love it ! Some real witchcraft here....because I don’t know programming and coding. My ears will do all the judging, and so far both my ears and my inner beasts are loving it very much that they appear to be dancing in my mind LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back