DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #10,486 of 22,021
Haven't had this happen to me - might have been something from the 'AMP module. If it isn't loud enough to impair hearing, you should be fairly good to go.

Concerned because I don't want to blow my drivers in my a18. I'm using Mango mode in Android only at the moment.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #10,487 of 22,021
Hi All -

I received my DX200 yesterday, and I absolutely love the sound - but have a potentially serious issue.

At the beginning of songs, or when un-pausing, I get a loud pop. This isn't like a click - but more analagous to the sound you hear when you turn on some amplifiers - and sounds loud enough that it could damage the headphones. At first, I thought it was only cause by DSD files. After removing all DSD - ended up getting it occasionally - even if I am switching to a track that has the same sample rate.

I've since returned it and am waiting for a replacement unit tomorrow. Is this a common issue, or is this likely to be a defective unit (meaning is my replacement going to have the same problem)?

I turned on auto-mute which seemed to solve the problem temporarily (though the issue itself is sporadic), but it seems that after restarting the player, even if auto-mute is enabled - it is off - you have to turn it on and off again. I tried factory resetting and reinstalling firmware which did not solve the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
There may be a small click sound when changing resolutions for example going to DSD from 16/44 but this would normally be at a very low volume. I suspect there was an issue with the DX200 you returned.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #10,488 of 22,021
Thanks Paul - yes, small clicking sounds I'm used to. This sounds like a pop which is louder than the music playing. Nothing during playback just play from pause and sometimes between tracks - even if it's the same sample rate.

Thanks again for the quick response. Really hope the new one fixes the issue - as I love the sound! reminds me of my Auralic Vega.

Dec 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #10,489 of 22,021
Thanks Paul - yes, small clicking sounds I'm used to. This sounds like a pop which is louder than the music playing. Nothing during playback just play from pause and sometimes between tracks - even if it's the same sample rate.

Thanks again for the quick response. Really hope the new one fixes the issue - as I love the sound! reminds me of my Auralic Vega.
I am sorry. You haven't even heard it after getting some good hours on it. The pop would not be normal. I use 2 different DX200s testing tracks and sound and only got a pop with a module we were working on and didn't like that sound so I understand.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #10,490 of 22,021
Concerned because I don't want to blow my drivers in my a18. I'm using Mango mode in Android only at the moment.

Oh, I see!

I tend to be very sensitive to loud noises out of nowhere, so it takes a little volume of noise to scare me :darthsmile:

I'm glad you returned it and I hope you will get a great workin one back!

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #10,491 of 22,021
There may be a small click sound when changing resolutions for example going to DSD from 16/44 but this would normally be at a very low volume. I suspect there was an issue with the DX200 you returned.

I experience random pops when streaming from tifa or Apple music and skipping tracks.No pops when wifi is off and i play offline tracks.My take on this is that is more of a software issue than hardware (at least when paying music from streaming services)

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #10,492 of 22,021
Hi all, looking for a Micro SD card for my upcoming DX200 and since I'm new in the world of DAP, I'm wondering if the quality/performance of the card is really important. Sure I don't plan to buy a cheap card but is there a performance difference in audio application between let's say a Samsung Evo+, Sandisk Ultra or Sandisk Extreme Pro?

I assume the quality of the card have more to do with reliability concern than audible difference but want to ask experimented users here.

Thanks.

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #10,493 of 22,021
I can hear a pop/click when I change format from Flac to dsd, it's definitely
Hi all, looking for a Micro SD card for my upcoming DX200 and since I'm new in the world of DAP, I'm wondering if the quality/performance of the card is really important. Sure I don't plan to buy a cheap card but is there a performance difference in audio application between let's say a Samsung Evo+, Sandisk Ultra or Sandisk Extreme Pro?

I assume the quality of the card have more to do with reliability concern than audible difference but want to ask experimented users here.

Thanks.

I would recommend Sandisk, Samsung, Sony and Lexar.

Don’t know the dimension of your music library but I would recommend at least 200gb, that are quite cheap right now.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #10,495 of 22,021
I use for several months a Samsung UHS-3 256GB EVO+ and pretty happy as 150GB of music gets scanned in less than 8 sec

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #10,498 of 22,021
How do you feel the a18t pairs with the DX200? Any comparisons?

With amp 1 single ended its my favorite pairing so far. Its super detailed, bright but full bodied, and nice impact, speed and bass quality. Thats why I was so upset I had to return and wait for a new one.

It really does sound like an Auralic Vega to me.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #10,499 of 22,021
With amp 1 single ended its my favorite pairing so far. Its super detailed, bright but full bodied, and nice impact, speed and bass quality. Thats why I was so upset I had to return and wait for a new one.

It really does sound like an Auralic Vega to me.

I have the A18 paired with the DX200, but I have AMP3 as well. I personally prefer the AMP3. Both AMPs are excellent, but have slightly different signatures with the A18. To my ears, the AMP1 has a more neutral tone across the spectrum. AMP3 seems to give more sub bass, creating what seems to be a more natural flow to music. Detail retrieval is similar, as both are excellent.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #10,500 of 22,021
I have the A18 paired with the DX200, but I have AMP3 as well. I personally prefer the AMP3. Both AMPs are excellent, but have slightly different signatures with the A18. To my ears, the AMP1 has a more neutral tone across the spectrum. AMP3 seems to give more sub bass, creating what seems to be a more natural flow to music. Detail retrieval is similar, as both are excellent.

Any chance you've tried Amp 4 or Amp 5 with the A18? I am getting both and have a 4.4 terminated IEM cable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back