DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 24, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #17,656 of 22,021
And AMP7 is in the house :) Some fun times tonight!

Except from AMP6 (I didn't get DX150, but I might get DX120) I will have owned every AMP ever built!

cant wait to hear your verdict on amp7 david as that may well be my next purchase for the dx200

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #17,657 of 22,021
Nope! I am not a fan of single ended :D and my Cables isn’t SE, given that I can make it, but I am a very lazy modder....I don’t do unnecessary things. Once I have the article on Amp8 up, people can follow to play with other modules too !

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #17,658 of 22,021
Did you try/get AMP7?

Just been an hour but I am very impressed, I need more time but it's clearly way better than AMP5 and if it's not at the same level as AMP8 it's at least on the same plane field as AMP8!
I feel like it's been tuned with a very similar philosophy : extended yet controlled and textured bass, musical but articulate mids, with great extension and detail up top while retaining smoothness. And soundstage is very similar which I didn't expect... I have to check imaging and technicalities but AMP7 is immensely enjoyable.

It's great to be able to enjoy AMP8 like performance with single ended gear I own... Final E5000 are just singing well beyond what they should be capable of it's just mind blowing for 250€ IEMs, I still can't believe it...

Amp7 better than amp 5? Wow..can u explain more? Im primarily using amp5 for my Final Audio Lab 1. In what way issit it better..colour me curious

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #17,659 of 22,021
upload_2018-9-25_4-56-13.png

After tuning for a long while between original AMP8 and modified one. AC/DC sounds wonderful with greater slam, better controlled bass, fuller dynamics, cleaner sound, and richer details. :)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #17,661 of 22,021
May I ask what are the caps are you using? Are there any more modification besides those 2 caps in the picture? Thank you.
Very nice! All of those Tantalum were replaced, and newer caps like what you just had been using. Definitely a great place to enjoy a modified Amp8 :).

I totally agree that Amp8 is a beast with a lot of potentials

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #17,662 of 22,021
For the last few days Vince, @Whitigir has been teasing us with his latest AMP8 mod, and now he is ready to unleash the beast HERE, including his step by step instructions of the mod and links to components where to order it. Just as a WARNING, this is DIY which obviously will void the warranty of amp8 module, so make sure you know what you're doing if you decide to mod it yourself :wink: Big Thanks to Vince for this DIY article!!!

picture-02.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #17,664 of 22,021
Is it ok to charge the DX200 while it is in use?

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #17,666 of 22,021
Amp7 better than amp 5? Wow..can u explain more? Im primarily using amp5 for my Final Audio Lab 1. In what way issit it better..colour me curious

Don't get me wrong, AMP5 is a beautiful amp, and depending on your preferences in terms of signature it still could be the better option.

In terms of pure performance though, I takes things even further, in terms of dynamic range (which was pretty amazing already with AMP5). It has better sub bass, it extends more and has a snappier attack. Similarly I feel treble are more extended and have more sparkle. Mids are not as warm but more articulate. This benefits to transparency which is significantly better. Also it has a blacker background there is greater contrast.

You loose a bit of the organic character of AMP5, even if AMP7 is very musical it’s overall cleaner. AMP5 is dynamic but AMP7 is snappier with more punch. It shares a lot with AMP8 but its balanced brother has an even blacker background and a tad better soundstage dimensions so more air.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #17,669 of 22,021
Nope! I am not a fan of single ended :D and my Cables isn’t SE, given that I can make it, but I am a very lazy modder....I don’t do unnecessary things. Once I have the article on Amp8 up, people can follow to play with other modules too !

I also prefer balanced but some gear has single ended termination with non detachable cables, AMP7 is handy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back