DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 30, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #20,553 of 22,021
DX208-EX may be easier to achieve than I would thought. Thanks to our love for music, and especially @edwardsean whose enthusiasm also has no boundaries like the many of us. He went beyond reaches to have found a couple technicians right in Chicago who can perform the modifications with only labor charges !

So far, @edwardsean can tell us more about the sound impressions from what his Dx208-EX can bring to us (regular Dx200 and Amp8 with EX modification applied). Oh, also do not worry, Amp8-EX can be used inside Dx220 too! Whenever it can come

If you want to perform EX modifications, bring this article to your technician.

Thank you @bden59 for the regulators and @chaiyuta for the noise suppression sheets

There are 2 parts, the Part 2 can be done by you easily.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx208-ex-modifications.898918/

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #20,555 of 22,021
Man, the amount of effot that goes indo modding those AMP modules is quite outstanding, makes me feel quite like I'd want to try to do some of those as well :)

It is better if u can find a technician, and if u do it successfully, the dx208EX will leave u speechless.

Some components are very delicate and easily got damaged, due to the compact and complexity of the circuitry, once it is damaged, u can not save it

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #20,556 of 22,021
It is better if u can find a technician, and if u do it successfully, the dx208EX will leave u speechless.

Some components are very delicate and easily got damaged, due to the compact and complexity of the circuitry, once it is damaged, u can not save it
Where is the page with the mods done for the full EX?

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #20,558 of 22,021

I’m dying to post impressions of the EX, but the sound is developing day over day, so I’m waiting to reach the 300 hour burn in mark.

I want to reiiterate what Whitigir said, the surface mount replacement used in this mod really requires some fine technical skill and experience. If you don’t have that you will be much happier paying a professional to do it. I was going to post a list of tips and pitfalls on Whit’s new EX-mod page but I actually do think a tech should do this and they will know what to watch out for. You have to impress on them though that this is a–very–sensitive board and to be careful not to lift pads and break traces.

These days you can find a local repair shop that works on laptops, cell phones, iPads, etc. and there is a good chance a tech there will be able to handle this mod. However, a lot of these places also send out repairs to dedicated shops. You have to find one of those shops and talk directly with the tech. Try to make sure they use hot air and will reflow the solder already on the board. If they use an iron and something like “chip quick” they may also use solder paste to reattach the components. That may be fine for an Xbox, but to me, that doesn’t seem like that would be great for audio fidelity. Whit would know definitively.

Also, again as Whit said, there is a major part of the EX mod that you can do by yourself right at home. The TDK sheeting is relatively simple and requires zero technical skill. It’s really more of a craft project. The results are definitely worth it. Also, on amp8, if you’re handy with an iron you can handle the Nichicon replacement and it is also a significant improvement. The TDK sheeting and the Nichicon recap will definitely make you happy with the sound. It will also be a way of wading into the water to see if you want to mod further.

The next step is the EX and, without question, it is much riskier and much costlier. This also gives you an indication of just how good it is, becuase the result actually justifies the trouble.

A huge thank you to @Chaiyut and @bden59 and most of all @Whitigir for designing the EX mod, experimenting, and sharing it with everyone!

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #20,559 of 22,021
238F77FD-AAE8-4534-95BC-419179A3B56A.jpeg
Hi @Whitigir what are the 2 red things in the bottom without number marking? They meant to replace something that look look like diodes to me

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #20,562 of 22,021
Not so true. DX200 (XMOS chip, actually) announces itself as a self-powered device, which is true. Then, it's up to the host driver to decide whether to provide power or not.

The funny thing is that my Android tablet, mobile device, provides up to 1A, while I'd prefer not at all. Instead, desktop computer running Windows provides only 450mA even at USB 3.0 port, and, as you said, Mac OS does not power at all :D
Hmm, I can’t get the DX200 to play nice with my iPhone XR in USB DAC mode, in Android or Mango OS. It draws to much battery and the iPhone says the accessory is not supported.

Is there any setting on the DX200 in order to set whether it uses it’s own power in DAC mode or draws power? I can’t find anything, but I’ve had other daps where that could be set.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #20,565 of 22,021
I can’t get the DX200 to play nice with my iPhone XR in USB DAC mode
Which firmware do you use? I just tried my DX200 (1.05.036) under Windows 10. In USB DAC mode, it does not consume power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back