DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #8,431 of 22,021
iBasso was going for a specific sound and the Vishay gave them what they were looking for. It's the warmer sound that you get with the amp3. I have a iFi iDSD with the nichicon caps and the sound is a bit different. There are many other factors in the electronic path that make up the sound too.

Maybe they just like the colour blue? :p
I salute your knowledge though. I'm secretly envious :D

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #8,432 of 22,021
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #8,434 of 22,021
Lol, Mango app also have emphasized subbass in Spdif/coax out with EQ-Off....the same for Bluetooth...and wired phones....Wuuuttttt?

Here are pictures to show what I really meant.

This is Sub-bass emphasized mode. It is also louder!
IMG_1879.JPG

This is more neutral mode!

IMG_1880.JPG

**amazingly that spdif/coax will allow EQ functionality too! For EQ fan :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #8,435 of 22,021
I agree, very good review. Thanks Twister :)

This special part: Quoted...

And even if you compare X7ii to DX200 with its default AMP1, I still hear DX200 with a little wider soundstage and blacker background, but the difference is less pronounced than with AMP3. Also, worth mentioning, the original tonality of DX200 w/AMP1 at the time of the release was more revealing. But with the latest FW V2.5.x, DX200 sound has more body and a little smoother and more organic tonality, aligning more with X7ii.

End quote..

I would say Dx200 is a winner.

Now, today I found another weird bug with Dx200. When listening to FLAC in a folder by Mango, then navigated using Directory into DSD Folder, the UI Promts "USB-DAC connected, please select option!" But there was no highlighted option to pick which app to use to play digital music out into external DAC....but there was no USB cables connected....wuuuttt ?

Since I thought it was due to "Lurker modded firmware" I flashed back to stock firmware completely and it is still there ! However, this time I flashed it back from original and into 2.3 before going to 2.5.

Both previous 2.1 and 2.3 firmware had that "hissing and humming" in the background upon rebooting or when music is stopped playing, using Utopia and Amp3. Randomly though, but when it presents, it just keep on being there in the back-ground. I wanted to see why someone else loved 2.3 so much, but I figure I couldn't deal with the hiss and hum, so into 2.5 again I go.

I use 2.3. and when I first power on the 200 there is the hiss that instantly goes away once you hit play and doesn't return unless you shut off the 200. I don't care about it and enjoy 2.3 so that is what I am using right now because as mentioned, there is no hiss once you start play the first time. 2.5 is good also and doesn't have this as you mention.

I never had the issue you mention the USB-DAC.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #8,436 of 22,021
I use 2.3. and when I first power on the 200 there is the hiss that instantly goes away once you hit play and doesn't return unless you shut off the 200. I don't care about it and enjoy 2.3 so that is what I am using right now because as mentioned, there is no hiss once you start play the first time. 2.5 is good also and doesn't have this as you mention.

Did you use AMP3 with fw 2.3?
That was exactly I had, constant hiss until You press play, until someone told me to update to 2.5 then the hiss is gone.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #8,437 of 22,021
That was exactly I had, constant hiss until You press play, until someone told me to update to 2.5 then the hiss is gone.
Yes AMP3. Also with 2.5 you get a higher voltage for the AMP3 and get the nice voltage swing that gives you a lot of headroom and dynamics when needed. I may go back to 2.5.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #8,438 of 22,021

Did you ever try to separate your folders ? DSD folder and FLAC folder separately. When I navigated into FLAC and play it, it was fine, during this time and I navigate into DSD folder, the UI will prompt "USB-DAC is connected". But it happens randomly though, very strange. I couldn't replicate it now. I will take picture next time I see it

Yepe ! Now I just saw the new firmware has the description "optimized for Amp3"....LOL!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #8,439 of 22,021
Did you ever try to separate your folders ? DSD folder and FLAC folder separately. When I navigated into FLAC and play it, it was fine, during this time and I navigate into DSD folder, the UI will prompt "USB-DAC is connected". But it happens randomly though, very strange. I couldn't replicate it now. I will take picture next time I see it
I always have my folders separate. I have DSD, high res, normal res etc. I mostly use the directory as I prefer it over album view for the very fact that I have things divided up like I want them. DSD roc, DSD jazz, high res, etc.

Sep 12, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #8,440 of 22,021
I always have my folders separate. I have DSD, high res, normal res etc. I mostly use the directory as I prefer it over album view for the very fact that I have things divided up like I want them. DSD roc, DSD jazz, high res, etc.

Just the way I like it too :) and hence I favor Mango app. Neutron would give me hell to tick here and there and again ....Mango is simply a swipe, tap tap tap and Voila!

Sep 12, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #8,441 of 22,021
Yepe ! Now I just saw the new firmware has the description "optimized for Amp3"....LOL!

I was too lazy as well to upgrade to FW 2.5.x when I got AMP3. This FW update is a necessity for AMP3 module if you don't want a hissing artifact - the "problem" goes away, as intended by design :wink:

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #8,442 of 22,021
Hi guys!

Heres my review of the DX200:

http://earphonia.com/digital-audio-players-daps/ibasso-dx200-digital-audio-player-review/

Very very nice Dap, i'll update my review when i get the AMP3..
Thank you so much for the review. I am waiting for your Amp3's impression .

You know what, IMHO this is one of the most accurate , short and precise reviews about the dx200 sound , I've read so far, especially the comparing part with the Paw gold, that is excellent. I only disagree with one thing though . To me, the dx200 is not the most powerful dap, eventhough it has more than enough power to drive all iems in the market.The driving power is still less than the powerful dap sich as Hm901 balance, paw gold( I just really think Paw gold have more driving power I maybe wrong because I already sold the paw gold, but from my memory it is so) and qp1r (qp2r). I dont like to plug my elear and Lcdi4 directly to my DX200. It is nice that ibasso will release amp4 soon.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #8,443 of 22,021

You know what, IMHO this is one of the most accurate , short and precise reviews about the dx200 sound , I've read so far, especially the comparing part with the Paw gold, that is excellent. I only disagree with one thing though . To me, the dx200 is not the most powerful dap, eventhough it has more than enough power to drive all iems in the market.The driving power is still less than the powerful dap sich as Hm901 balance, paw gold( I just really think Paw gold have more driving power I maybe wrong because I already sold the paw gold, but from my memory it is so) and qp1r (qp2r). I dont like to plug my elear and Lcdi4 directly to my DX200. It is nice that ibasso will release amp4 soon.

You don't need to go by memory to know which DAP has more power output. Just measure the damn thing. I have LPG and DX200 both by specs and actual measurements the DX200 (in balance out) can output more power than LPG. LPG is slightly more powerful on Single ended.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #8,444 of 22,021
I search for the spec
Lotoo Paw Gold
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lotoo-paw-gold.20487/reviews
Headphone Output
Output Power: 500mW @ 32Ohm per channel

QP1R
http://www.questyleaudio.com/product-qp1r
Gain = High
Max Output Amplitude: Vout=1.9V rms
Output Power: Pout=40mW @32Ω
Pout=12mW @300Ω

DX200
http://blog.son-video.com/en/2017/03/review-ibasso-dx200/
a maximum output power of 6 Vrms. In theory, this is the equivalent of 2 x 1.1 Watts of power for a pair of headphones with an impedance of 32 Ohms, or 2 x 123 mW into 300 Ohms. Meanwhile, the unbalanced 3.5 mm mini-jack output can provide 3 Vrms, or 2 x 280 mW into 32 Ohms and 30 mW into 300 Ohms

We don't have real measured result / official spec sheet on power output of DX200 though.
So can't totally compare.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #8,445 of 22,021

Thank you so much for your words, my friend!

I never tried the QP1R (which seems for the specs more current based) but i plugged a pair of LCD3F and Ether C Flow on both and i found out that, while the LPG exhibits a more powerful presentation, with thicker notes (which could give the impression that the headphones are better powered), the DX200 (balanced) drives them better with a bigger soundstage, more dinamics and specially more control.

Probably soon, when i solve logistic problems, i could try the AMP3 and give more impression, as this seems a more current based Amp, which helps a lot with power hungry headphones...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back