DX200/220 Amp8, MAX and other EX modifications
Jul 17, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #182 of 473
I'm soon to be part of this group :)

I just mailed off my subpar, stock, crappy, trash and so on dx220 to get it turned into a beast. Kind of like Bruce banner into the hulk.

I also mailed out my amp8 to WindowsX for his ultimate mod. His highest mod available. It'll be weeks till I get everything back. And the dreadful burn in..:)

Will you guys welcome me in this exclusive group with open arms.. please?

But seriously, I am very excited for this. I also want to give thanks to chaiyuta, edwardsean, WindowsX and Whitigir. Without you guys I wouldn't be able to pursue this project. You guys are unbelievable! Especially edwardsean for being the most helpful person I have ever meant online.

Edit: On second thought, I guess I'm not really part of this group. But at least I can experience what you guys are experiencing soon :)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #183 of 473
I'm soon to be part of this group :)

I just mailed off my subpar, stock, crappy, trash and so on dx220 to get it turn into a breast. Kind of like Bruce banner into the hulk.

I also mailed out my amp8 to WindowsX for his ultimate mod. His highest mod available. It'll be weeks till I get everything back. And the dreadful burn in..:)

Will you guys welcome me in this exclusive group with open arms.. please?

But seriously, I am very excited for this. I also want to give thanks to chaiyuta, edwardsean, WindowsX and Whitigir. Without you guys I wouldn't be able to pursue this project. You guys are unbelievable! Especially edwardsean for being the most helpful person I have ever meant online.

Edit: On second thought, I guess I'm not really part of this group. But at least I can experience what you guys are experiencing soon :)

Awesome! Truly.

But, just one question.... If you read back your post, can you tell me what exactly that you think your DX220 is going to become when it returns? (mm...)

Also here is how I've found burn in to go--roughly;

1) Base burn in @100hr. mark: You get an idea of where it is headed
2) Established burn in @200hr. mark: You're through the woods and the bulk of the burn in is done
3) Refined burn in @ 300hr. mark: Remaining percentage points of sonic polish here and there
4) Complete enjoyment @ +300hr. mark: You forget about the mod, the burn in, there is the music....

Now, say it with me, "beast," "b-e-a-s-t." (huge grin).

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #184 of 473
So, according to what I found out about the Amp8 V2 as the upgraded V1 versions. It has improvements at the hardware level to improve the current delivery. Therefore, the EX modifications is also changed in according to exploit the possibilities again on the V2.

I was asked if V1 modifications could be applied toward V2 directly or vice versa? Please allow me to remind everyone that we are DIY, and so you can do whatever you seem fit. I modified mine this way because it is my personal preferences and deemed fit IMO. The improvements is that soundstage, dynamic, punches, musical and yet accurate still in comparison to V1 or the original EX. Ofcourse both EX of V1 and V2 are the best of what both versions can do.

There are a few differences from V1 vs V2.

1/ first and fore most the important part. The TDK sheetings on the main body. If you are using the V2, you do not need the Sheets on the ES9028Pros any longer. I still feel that keeping it on for V1 is a good idea as the V1 without it can still get harsh and grains at tricky places and complex trebles passages

2/ ECHU is now possible to be at line level and not the jacks

3/ all changes enable the usage of Electrolytic directly without bicaps and Tantalum. All electrolytic will now be UKA

Tips to solder I’n the UKA at the 4 Tantalum, the ECHU: put ECHU in as soon as you took out the original bicap as this will warrant the heat distribution to not be dissipated so ECHU stays in easier. Then apply other KO caps upgrades afterward, then TDK sheets, and finally the UKA caps. Bend the legs and cut to fit, do make sure everything will stay and fit nicely. Prime the pads with a thin solder film, and solder in while pushing the legs inward instead of pressing the caps downward (please refer to the last pictures. I don’t mean to tell you how to solder, this is just a tip to make it work easier. We all have different techniques and experiences, please apply your soldering techniques as you seem fit)

Parts needed

4x
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UKA1C101MDD
1x
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UKA1C471MPD
1x
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UKA1C221MED1TD
10x
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T543B107K010TE150
4x
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-T520A226M10ANE080
4x
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-ECH-U1C222JX5

For all the Tantalum KO Caps, are the same as original Amp8 EX, and also the TDK sheets for the V1 will remain the same. Also V2 comes with glass back swap it in as you desire. Also, do not forget about Ground return mod

D_wBy6VU8AEi1xy.jpg:large

I just tuned AMP7 to Oyaide store original Augline +a/+pt hybrid cable.
Both are UKA (KA series) choices:smile:

In Japan, new AMP8 can not be obtained because inventory is still left.

For those who are set to V2.
The UKA Cap sounds clean in the high range, but please bear with burn-in for about 100 hours.
After 300 hours, it demonstrates its ability.

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #185 of 473
@GrigoryV, this is nuts, but just as you were posting, I was thinking of something of something similar. I'm also thinking of drilling holes into the case to fit Elna capacitors. So far, I want to try putting one Silmic and one Cerafine into amp8.

How hard was it to drill the holes?

Where did you put the Cerafine 3300uF?

How does it sound?
Es makes the sound extremely tasty in the middle. Initially amp6 the middle of smooth, sufficiently detailed, but not very expressive in terms of emotion(although it is more musical than the dx200). The Es fixes this significantly, though not completely. But I think for the sweet middle you need to turn to A&K. Warn ES does not give a very wide stereo panorama. But it is quite deep and the most important thing is a good division of instruments and voices. In General, I believe in the Holy bipolar))) Resolution this has increased across the entire range. Became apparent in micronance that had not been heard or stressed out. But the musicality has also increased. In General, the synergy of ES+amp6+Cerafine+AK4490 turned out great. But imho the main merit in this is still ES. At the same time, ES did not change the character of the dx150 sound a bit. On the contrary, ES emphasized it. I listen now and can't think))) Even mp3 320 kBs sounds awesome, even in streaming audio VK. I think I found the end for the dx150 on the amp6. Drilling boron machine is not difficult. But don't forget to stake holes and outlet drill slowly with little effort. Drill 2.8 mm

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #186 of 473
Sometimes curiosity is good, but sometimes it is bad:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DX227EX - Aug-line hybrid cable - KSE
I able to reach the desired sound quality with this combination.

So happy(Without stopping), I compared AMP7 with AMP8EX / AMP9.
AMP8EX used the custom cable which opened the minus amplifier side. AMP9 used Aug-line.

AMP8EX: Great Sound, but KSE does not draw out AMP8's ability to open the minus amplifier.
(I do not know the difference with AMP7:fearful:)
IEM / HP suitable for AMP8EX is required:sweat_smile:

AMP9: Astonishingly, the super-high resolution of Aug-line makes the sound muddy only by the increase of overtones, and the narrowness of the range is anxious.
The OFC cable is more comfortable with less hiss.
The comparison of wide-range EX and AMP9 may have been wild. . . :rolling_eyes:

I did an unnecessary thing and regretted it very much.
I would like to touch AMP9 when I have time:thermometer_face:

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #188 of 473
I do not want you to misunderstand to those who have never heard the tube sound.
Triode Single tube sound is the audio origin.

There is a lot of noise and poor frequency response because of the tube sound, but it is a mistake that the analog sound is rich in harmonics and pleasing to the touch.

Transistor (discrete) and IC (Opamp) are all analog sounds developed from Triode Single tube.
Amp9 provided the audio origin.
And sublimate Tube sound with a little DIY.

The iBasso that incorporates 6P1 in the size of the amplifier module is commendable.

It is ugly English but I would appreciate it if you understood it.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #189 of 473
I do not want you to misunderstand to those who have never heard the tube sound.
Triode Single tube sound is the audio origin.

There is a lot of noise and poor frequency response because of the tube sound, but it is a mistake that the analog sound is rich in harmonics and pleasing to the touch.

Transistor (discrete) and IC (Opamp) are all analog sounds developed from Triode Single tube.
Amp9 provided the audio origin.
And sublimate Tube sound with a little DIY.

The iBasso that incorporates 6P1 in the size of the amplifier module is commendable.

It is ugly English but I would appreciate it if you understood it.

I agree with you here and about every part :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back