DV 337 and the Schiit Valhalla
Dec 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

orbv12

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I recently ordered HD650s from Sennheiser and a Zero DAC. This is my first audio setup and am very confident in it based on reviews posted here. I recently listened to a friend's setup (Creative X-Fi -> DV337 -> HD650) and absolutely loved it. It was far better than any equipment I've ever owned (gaming headsets lol). This got me thinking about the amp in the Zero. I have read that the DAC is very good considering the price, but the amp portion can be lacking. I would hate for the equipment to arrive and find myself disappointed now that I've listened to a greater amp. 

The price on the DV337 is a little high for me at the moment and I have read that they are having some quality control issues. I am a little skeptical about purchasing one at the moment. I read a few good reviews on amps made by Schiit. The Valhalla looks promising based on initial impressions from head-fi users. 

I am sure the obvious choice would be to save up for the DV337. I would be using the Zero as the DAC (will upgrade that later). Any strong impressions on the Valhalla when compared to the DV337? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 7
I JUST (10 min ago) purchased my HD650's.  I have been searching for a couple of months, and I finally decided it was the can for me.  I have been searching for an amp for almost as long.  Have you checked out Little Dot?  More specifically, their MK III.  It is a $200 tube amp with impressive reviews.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
This got me thinking about the amp in the Zero. I have read that the DAC is very good considering the price, but the amp portion can be lacking.

Simply upgrade the op-amps in the Amp portion of the amp; it's as simple as pulling the old one out and popping the new one in. In my opinion the HD650s sound best on a solid state amp and a worthy upgrade from the Zero would cost more than double. I think you'll like the Zero just fine, in the time being find a better sounding op-amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back