Dutch/Belgian November 2012 meet
Nov 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #451 of 618
Quote:

Quick offtopic question: when u rip a cd..whats best extension for the conversion: flac or wav? I need extreme quality files..so i want my converted files have same quality as the originals on the cd.
Any advices?

Flac is a lossless format, so is wav. Shouldn't make a difference which you use. You save some space using flac, you save some time using wav, just take your pick... Also, you might want to take the device you tend to use the files on into account. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #452 of 618
Hallo iedereen,

Yeah I was a bit ignorant about the venue costs, didn´t think of that. Thanks for the suggestions about the cables, I´m not sure if I want to buy your cable, how long is it in cm? I am aiming for something around 0.3m since it's for portable use. You can send me a pm for payment (for the meet), pretty sure I'm coming now.

Also I'll do my best to burn a couple CD's, perhaps I can introduce some to other artists.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #453 of 618
Quote:
Also I'll do my best to burn a couple CD's, perhaps I can introduce some to other artists.

Always looking for new music, so bring it on... as long as it isn't schlagers, volendam-crap, rap or modern day r'n'b (old fashioned rythm'n'blues no prob)

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #454 of 618
Okay guys.. I picked up my Brainwavz B2 and Fiio E6 tonight, and I'm not sure I what I should say about it.

When I unpackaged them, I tested them directly on my Clip+ and after the first 10 seconds they sounded like the crap you get in hospitals. Put them back in the box, loaded up the Fiio E6 for an hour to test it out afterwards when I got home.

I'm probably very strange but it is nothing like you guys (and the people on head-fi) have been telling. I already expected to get something that wouldn't work well for songs with bass, but this is different. I'm a bit dissapointed when it comes to the expectations.

To summarize, what I expected was something I could get used to but was going to take time. This is not the case.

Did some tests on quite a few different musical styles I have on the clip, every time just and only one song:

1. Carmen Fantasy, Op. 25, by Pablo de Sarasate, known for its requirement of having violin players having mastered their instrument: before I could hear the violin player inhale, with the B2's he descided to also turn the music sheets.
  2. Anna Netrebko's 2003 album Opera Arias actually sounds as clear as I expected before downloading it. She must have been drinking before. She isn't standing perfectly in front of the Microphone, someone should have told her.
  3. On Pepe Romero's 1988 album Flamenco people starting clapping to the dancing, they must be happier today I guess.
  1. The bass on Royksopp's album Senior is perfect and deep, but apparently someone put different versions of the songs on the Clip+ cause these have sounds I haven't heard before.
  2. The different instruments on the album Diamond Eyes by the Deftones, have a clearly seperate sound. Even though I love their music, this is the first time Diamond Eyes actually sounds good, the mids are superb.

So, 5 songs, 15 minutes of listening.. don't need to get used to them, it already happened! Nothing of an 'acquired taste'.. this is how it damn should be ^_^.

Oh, and the Fiio E6.. compared, sounds like it just gives the B2's that little bit more what they need, at the same volume. They don't increase the volume much for these (compared to the Clip+ attached directly, and my Sennheiser CX-300's first version which almost turned into speakers), which kinda gives me the feeling it works for what it was planned for!

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #455 of 618
Quote:
  1. The bass on Royksopp's album Senior is perfect and deep, but apparently someone put different versions of the songs on the Clip+ cause these have sounds I haven't heard before.

So... Did you make out the dentists' drill on 'The Drug' before? And do you hear it now? :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #456 of 618
Quote:

So... Did you make out the dentists' drill on 'The Drug' before? And do you hear it now? :)

Ow! Haven't listened to that track yet, charging my equip (and wow, the Fiio E6 charges fast for a 10-hour AMP, less then 2 hours), doing homework and then bed, will report tomorrow! I have listened to The Drug a lot of times in the past, even in a quiet environment eyes-closed, and this is new to me. I'm curious :wink:.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #457 of 618
Quote:
Okay guys.. I picked up my Brainwavz B2 and Fiio E6 tonight, and I'm not sure I what I should say about it.

When I unpackaged them, I tested them directly on my Clip+ and after the first 10 seconds they sounded like the crap you get in hospitals. Put them back in the box, loaded up the Fiio E6 for an hour to test it out afterwards when I got home.

I'm probably very strange but it is nothing like you guys (and the people on head-fi) have been telling. I already expected to get something that wouldn't work well for songs with bass, but this is different. I'm a bit dissapointed when it comes to the expectations.

To summarize, what I expected was something I could get used to but was going to take time. This is not the case.

Did some tests on quite a few different musical styles I have on the clip, every time just and only one song:

1. Carmen Fantasy, Op. 25, by Pablo de Sarasate, known for its requirement of having violin players having mastered their instrument: before I could hear the violin player inhale, with the B2's he descided to also turn the music sheets.
  2. Anna Netrebko's 2003 album Opera Arias actually sounds as clear as I expected before downloading it. She must have been drinking before. She isn't standing perfectly in front of the Microphone, someone should have told her.
  3. On Pepe Romero's 1988 album Flamenco people starting clapping to the dancing, they must be happier today I guess.
  2. The different instruments on the album Diamond Eyes by the Deftones, have a clearly seperate sound. Even though I love their music, this is the first time Diamond Eyes actually sounds good, the mids are superb.

So, 5 songs, 15 minutes of listening.. don't need to get used to them, it already happened! Nothing of an 'acquired taste'.. this is how it damn should be ^_^.

Oh, and the Fiio E6.. compared, sounds like it just gives the B2's that little bit more what they need, at the same volume. They don't increase the volume much for these (compared to the Clip+ attached directly, and my Sennheiser CX-300's first version which almost turned into speakers), which kinda gives me the feeling it works for what it was planned for!

Wait I don't get it. When you unpackaged them they sounded like crap but now you love them? :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #459 of 618
laens' first impressions made me think of the following... Have you guys ever noticed that when changing from crappy headphones to good headphones, the differences seem much smaller than when you switch between the same 2 headphones but from the good to the bad? I guess it is just our brains playing tricks on us. 

Funny to use this to mess with peoples heads though....

Guy from work: Why would anyone spend €150 (little does he know) on headphones?? These iBuds are just as good.
Me:Wanna try them?
Guy from work: Sure, but I really don't see the point
Me: here, put these on
Guy from work: Ok, they sound pretty nice, but not €150 nice
Me: Try your iBuds again
Guy from work: Oh crap...

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #460 of 618
I was trying to bring confusion, guess that was a big success! 
etysmile.gif

Yes, first 10 seconds that I had them in they sounded crappy to my ears, but I wasn't really listening and didn't have the B2's inserted as they should, was at my Uncle quickly hearing that sound did come out :wink:.

Loving the B2's a _lot_. But eh.. I accidently connected the Fiio E6 to my laptop (had white noise running) and that was TOO LOUD, had the sound out within a second. Hope I didn't damage them.. Does anyone know if white noise (the not sparkly one) for <1 second can damage if too loud? Bedtime!

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #461 of 618
laens' first impressions made me think of the following... Have you guys ever noticed that when changing from crappy headphones to good headphones, the differences seem much smaller than when you switch between the same 2 headphones but from the good to the bad? I guess it is just our brains playing tricks on us. 

Funny to use this to mess with peoples heads though....

Guy from work: Why would anyone spend €150 (little does he know) on headphones?? These iBuds are just as good.
Me:Wanna try them?
Guy from work: Sure, but I really don't see the point
Me: here, put these on
Guy from work: Ok, they sound pretty nice, but not €150 nice
Me: Try your iBuds again
Guy from work: Oh crap...

Funny..had same experience with a collegue of mine also..now he owns a sennheiser hd595 or something..and he was someone who said the 3 euros models from blokker and the kind were enough..if i am lucky i can make him buy my matrix mstage for a sweet price he cant refuse as he loved the sound so much but .trust me..he will be the best winner in this buy..

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #462 of 618

I disagree, for me it's the opposite. When I listen to worse headphones I feel 'dang, these are pretty good', but when I listen to my main cans again it's 'oh, nvm. This is way better'.

Lately I've been using my speakers almost more than my headphones, and they are what I'd call low-mid-fi speakers. I can fully enjoy the music with the speakers, and I think they're awesome as wearing a headphone while concentrating really hard on something always forms a subtle distraction to me for some reason. Speakers do not.

Then when later in the evening I switch to my headphones I'm in complete euphoria of sound quality. When I only used my headphones all day long I felt they were OK, now I think they're absolutely awesome. Interestingly, before I thought my speakers were crappy, now that I listen to the a larger amount of time per day, I actually think they're pretty good.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #463 of 618
Quote:

Umm.. nope. Can't hear it. So maybe I did damage them 
frown.gif
(they even sounds warm to me now, which is not something people say about the B2's). Can you tell me how far in the song it is?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #464 of 618
I disagree, for me it's the opposite. When I listen to worse headphones I feel 'dang, these are pretty good', but when I listen to my main cans again it's 'oh, nvm. This is way better'.
Lately I've been using my speakers almost more than my headphones, and they are what I'd call low-mid-fi speakers. I can fully enjoy the music with the speakers, and I think they're awesome as wearing a headphone while concentrating really hard on something always forms a subtle distraction to me for some reason. Speakers do not.
Then when later in the evening I switch to my headphones I'm in complete euphoria of sound quality. When I only used my headphones all day long I felt they were OK, now I think they're absolutely awesome. Interestingly, before I thought my speakers were crappy, now that I listen to the a larger amount of time per day, I actually think they're pretty good.

I have to admit a few weeks back i caught myself thinking a certain headphone sounded crappy..but the next day..when i was in a real listening mood..it actually sounded good...to make a point..sometimes ur brain messes with ur listening experiences ..even with ur own equipment..so when WE THINK it will sound good then for some it does..not many people can disconnect their thinking from the actual listening experience and listen unbiassed..thats very difficult...then damn..now i think about it..we humans are ****ed up.. :xf_eek:

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #465 of 618
Quote:
I have to admit a few weeks back i caught myself thinking a certain headphone sounded crappy..but the next day..when i was in a real listening mood..it actually sounded good...to make a point..sometimes ur brain messes with ur listening experiences ..even with ur own equipment..so when WE THINK it will sound good then for some it does..not many people can disconnect their thinking from the actual listening experience and listen unbiassed..thats very difficult...then damn..now i think about it..we humans are ****ed up.. 
redface.gif

I hope that's what I'm experiencing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back