Dutch/Belgian November 2012 meet
Nov 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #376 of 618
Wow, this is certainly shaping up to be a great meet! This makes all the more sad to have to say that I definitely cannot come this time. To many conflicting things that will have to be given priority.

Have a great time everybody, and don't forget to write elaborate meet impressions! 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #377 of 618
Guys,
It's one week before the payment deadline. Everyone who still wants to come, please pay or confirm that you can't/don't want to come.

I'll be sending a reminder PM to all the people in the list of interested people today.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #379 of 618
brownies by mail? :D

Hey paaj,
I saw u dont have car but u come from amsterdam..on the carpool list..am also from amsterdam .and i have a car..want carpooling? :D mail me for specifics..its on the list :wink:

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #380 of 618
Hi,

Would it be cool if I came along? I don't really have much for gear except the 8.35D Maestro's and an arrow amp though... Just maybe I'll have a 600/650 by the time, but that's probably nothing new for you guys either.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #381 of 618
Quote:
Hi,

Would it be cool if I came along? I don't really have much for gear except the 8.35D Maestro's and an arrow amp though... Just maybe I'll have a 600/650 by the time, but that's probably nothing new for you guys either.

I only got the Brainwavz B2 and the Fiio E6, what can I say :wink:. I'm personally interested in the Arrow amp as a steady one (for my laptop-dock or mediacenter which is underamped). It's of course about what interests you in others' gear as well, for which I'm coming. And learning from others, I bet a lot of people have a lot to teach me hehe.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #382 of 618
Hi,

Come!
It doesn't matter whether your gear is much of a contribution or not. It'd be cool if it were, but it certainly isn't a requirement. The more the merrier.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #383 of 618
Quote:
Hi,

Yeah man, come and join us. Check out the first post of this thread for all the details. :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #384 of 618
Does anyone have a shiit lyr which he can take with him? Am interested to compare him to my dv 337

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #385 of 618
Quote:
If you want to get (back) into audio, I'd say a good starting point would be to buy a Sansa Clip+ (and install Rockbox firmware)

I'm in love it, such a cute, spicy little thing! I'm starting to understand why Rockbox is advised, I think, as I've already experienced 2 problems.. I installed the latest official firmware that is out now, directly after getting it, setting location to "Rest of World" as advised (works perfectly for the sound volume indeed), but..
  1. Battery life is.. not good. I'm playing FLAC only, but didn't even get 6 hours out of it.
  2. It crashes, as far as I can understand, on certain bits from a song that it didn't expect or so, restarts itself and doesn't continue where it left me.

Does the Rockbox Firmware help here?

I am however concerned about the audio quality, from what I read the Rockbox Firmware can introduce a little bit more hiss, and I reaaaaally can't use that. Beside the hiss, "FS#11907 - Annoying CPU noise with Sansa Clip+" is another thing I really don't want.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #386 of 618
Quote:

I'm in love it, such a cute, spicy little thing! I'm starting to understand why Rockbox is advised, I think, as I've already experienced 2 problems.. I installed the latest official firmware that is out now, directly after getting it, setting location to "Rest of World" as advised (works perfectly for the sound volume indeed), but..
  1. Battery life is.. not good. I'm playing FLAC only, but didn't even get 6 hours out of it.
  2. It crashes, as far as I can understand, on certain bits from a song that it didn't expect or so, restarts itself and doesn't continue where it left me.

Does the Rockbox Firmware help here?

I am however concerned about the audio quality, from what I read the Rockbox Firmware can introduce a little bit more hiss, and I reaaaaally can't use that. Beside the hiss, "FS#11907 - Annoying CPU noise with Sansa Clip+" is another thing I really don't want.

Those Mp3 files skipping and crashing are either compression flaws or damaged clusters on your SD card. Try formatting your card to FAT32. I've had this problem too and everytime either a clean rip or a fresh SD card solved the problem. The Clip+ is tiny so the battery is tiny as well. FLAC is heavier on the battery than MP3. I only play 320kbps on my Clip+ and I get about 10/11 hours of battery out of it. 

About audio quality; just make sure you don't go past 0db in Rockbox. That means there is no software amplification and there will be no hiss or distortion. It can go to +6db btw. If you need additional volume past 0db I suggest using an amplifier. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #387 of 618
Quote:

Those Mp3 files skipping and crashing are either compression flaws or damaged clusters on your SD card. Try formatting your card to FAT32. I've had this problem too and everytime either a clean rip or a fresh SD card solved the problem. The Clip+ is tiny so the battery is tiny as well. FLAC is heavier on the battery than MP3. I only play 320kbps on my Clip+ and I get about 10/11 hours of battery out of it. 

About audio quality; just make sure you don't go past 0db in Rockbox. That means there is no software amplification and there will be no hiss or distortion. It can go to +6db btw. If you need additional volume past 0db I suggest using an amplifier. 

It's a fresh out-of-factory SD card without any clusters rewritten, so that's probably not the case. The FLAC crash thing has been reported to happen on the latest firmware, and firmware versions that do not have this problem have been given as well.

The +6db won't be needed, the Fiio E6 will probably arrive tonight along with the B2's.

But the thing I'm wondering about is.. can I be 100% sure that the Rockbox firmware will output the same sound quality (no SQ loss compared to the original firmware whatsoever), in the same way, with the same famous frequency response, preferably the hardware-only way in terms of volume as well as musical processing, and without resampling? Cause I'm not willing to give up that, just so I have a player that can do more useless stuff and have more battery life.

Edit: has been answered here: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Temp/Clip%2B%20Rockbox%20HQ%20Patch%2065%20Ohm%20incl%200x1B.htm.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #388 of 618
Here comes squirt #11

I'm sure willing to come but Heerlen is quite a ways to travel by public transport and that way I can't bring much. Not a whole setup. I'll have to stuff it a backpack. Not the best option for tubegear.

If there is anyone in the vicinity of Ede/Arnhem (none on the carpoollist so far) Holy Cheese and I could carpool.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #389 of 618
Awesome I'm pretty sure I'll be coming then ^^. Can't wait to try out all that gear and meet like minded people. Still what a journey. O well, would be cool if I could tag along with someone with a car (contributing for fuel costs ofc)(hifimanrookie?) . Also anyone have a spare 3.5 to 3.5 cable, if yes, I would like to buy it of you. Been through 3 cables already
rolleyes.gif
(need it for the arrow amp). Otherwise anyone know where I can buy such a cable, somewhat affordable, which lasts longer then a week and ships reasonably fast to the Netherlands?
Also I don't mind paying, but for what exactly? I thought the room was offered free of charge?

Cheers.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #390 of 618
Quote:
Awesome I'm pretty sure I'll be coming then ^^. Can't wait to try out all that gear and meet like minded people. Still what a journey. O well, would be cool if I could tag along with someone with a car (contributing for fuel costs ofc)(hifimanrookie?) . Also anyone have a spare 3.5 to 3.5 cable, if yes, I would like to buy it of you. Been through 3 cables already
rolleyes.gif
(need it for the arrow amp). Otherwise anyone know where I can buy such a cable, somewhat affordable, which lasts longer then a week and ships reasonably fast to the Netherlands?
Also I don't mind paying, but for what exactly? I thought the room was offered free of charge?

Cheers.

Drinks, food, electricity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back