Dunu ZEN - Flagship Single DD IEM
Dec 31, 2020 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ChrisHeld1989

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! Feel free to share some informations about this flagship single DD iem from Dunu.

Specs, reviews, graphs, anything else.

Maybe this will be a great iem and i think its looking beautiful.

Here are some pics of it.

dunu-zen-hifigo-631552_800x800.jpg

69cee236291aeb243725d897d6fce399-1024x421.jpg

Introduction_-_ZEN_by_DUNU_-_Final.044.png

Dec 31, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 21
Specs:

BRAND: DUNU
MODEL: ZEN (禪)

NET WEIGHT: 21 g

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 5 Hz – 40 kHz
SENSITIVITY: 112 ± 1 dB at 1 kHz
IMPEDANCE: 16 Ω at 1 kHz
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION: < 0.2% at 1 kHz

DRIVE MODULE

DIAPHRAGM: Magnesium-Aluminum alloy dome with nanoporous amorphous carbon coating (nanoDLC)
and fully independent suspension surround

MAGNET ASSEMBLY: > 1.8 T External Ring-Type Neodymium Magnet

HOUSING

MATERIAL: 316 Stainless Steel
INTEGRATION(S): Patented Air Control Impedance System (ACIS)

INCLUDED CABLE

LENGTH: 1.2 ± 0.1 m

MATERIAL: 8 Core, High-Purity Monocrystalline Silver-Plated Copper Litz Wire, Concentrically Arranged

CABLE CONNECTOR: Patented Catch-Hold® MMCX Connector

PLUG CONNECTOR: Patented DUNU Quick-Switch Modular Plug System

INCLUDED PLUG TERMINATION(S):

4.4 mm TRRRS Balanced
3.5 mm TRS Single-Ended
2.5 mm TRRS Balanced

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 21
Just got the ZEN in yesterday and took a bunch of photos for anyone who's interested. Nice stuff! Mine was a pre-order so I also got a free case and USB-C quick-switch connector. Here are some of the quick pics I took yesterday while opening everything up:

So, let's ignore the fact that I went straight for the USB-C connector and opened that up first. (Heh).

Lets get the plastic off the box and take a look inside:
IMG_3023.JPGIMG_3027.JPGIMG_3029.JPGIMG_3032.JPG

And behold!
IMG_3034.JPG

Under the ZEN, you'll find your quick-switch connectors, a nice plastic container for tips (labelled S/M/L too!), and a black box, containing more goodies:
IMG_3033.JPG

Black box contains the case, inside of which you will find additional accessories shown below (including some additional eartips):
IMG_3036.JPGIMG_3039.JPG

Interesting foam tips, I'm not familiar with these. Also, a nice touch for the plastic eartip case to have the S/M/L indents on it!
IMG_3038.JPGIMG_3020.JPG

Some additional photos of the body, including the bore length:
IMG_3041.JPGIMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3047.JPGIMG_3044.JPG

The ZEN is actually quite shiny - note the flash creating a little effect here (and the fact that my macro lens shows my fingers smudging up things slightly). Since this is a pretty close-up macro lens, I wouldn't worry too much about the ZEN looking smudged later on, but I appreciate the reasoning behind including the soft cloth for wiping the ZEN down - it's very high quality and a nice touch.
IMG_3050.JPG

With eartips on, and a picture of the USB-C quickswitch connector:
IMG_3019.JPGIMG_3051.JPG

And with my custom eartips on - getting ready for a listen!
IMG_3022.JPGIMG_3021.JPG

IMO the ZEN is really pretty - it feels very well made, of high quality materials, and the finish is quite nice. I think the pictures I saw before didn't quite do it justice.

Time for me to do some listening to see what the ZEN is all about : ).

Cheers all!

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 21
Superb pics I am desperate to get them... I need to be patient it has been stuck in Amsterdam for a few days now... keep'em coming!

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 21
I appreciate DUNU's build quality (a characteristic I am constantly surprised many enthusiasts can be pretty casual about). I care about design and fit & finish; call me shallow, LOL.

design, fit, and finish are usually highly correlated with reliability.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Superb pics I am desperate to get them... I need to be patient it has been stuck in Amsterdam for a few days now... keep'em coming!
Interested to compare notes with you on the ZEN vs. the Luna.

I also got a camo green case as an extra- it has some neat color shifting (?) qualities that I didn’t quite notice as much before until I put it under camera/light:

Quick video of how it looks as I rotate it with some direct overhead light:
https://m.imgur.com/a/BnX1IdS

Neato!

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 21
I pop the Zen in my ears, before an overnight seasoning session tonight and Zen has caught my attention.

20210108_172626.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back