Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #2,402 of 3,012
Since I received a few questions about Lunashops replacement silver-plated cable I used with my Titan 3 and Titan 5 during the review, it's the SAME cable Penon Audio re-selling as DIY VDS3 mic cable here: http://penonaudio.com/DIY-VSD3-MIC-CABLE

For those who are familiar with Lunashops, they have a huge assortment of cables, but shipping can take 4-6wks, while with Penon you can always count on 7-10 days.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2,404 of 3,012
Would you guys then consider the titans 3 & 5 as side grades to the 1? How'd they compare to the dnk and dn2k?

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #2,405 of 3,012
Would you guys then consider the titans 3 & 5 as side grades to the 1? How'd they compare to the dnk and dn2k?

Yeah, I think so. They're all a bit different sound sig wise, but I can easily see a person preferring any one of them over the others. The detachable cables might be seen as an upgrade by some, but I'm fine with the T1 / EX1's fixed cable. If Dunu included an SPC cable as twister6 tested in his review, then maybe I'd give the nod to the newer models. As is though, I'm as much a fan of the original as the T3.

Don't have DN1K anymore, so I'm reluctant to compare. I haven't heard DN2K or DN2KJ yet, either.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,406 of 3,012
I can give you a head up on all of them when I get home later - but Nic pretty much nailed it.  Different flavouring - maybe a tiny bit of refinement in the treble, but no massive upgrades.  I have the DN1K, DN2K and DN2KJ as well, so I'll try and cover all of them.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,407 of 3,012
  I can give you a head up on all of them when I get home later - but Nic pretty much nailed it.  Different flavouring - maybe a tiny bit of refinement in the treble, but no massive upgrades.  I have the DN1K, DN2K and DN2KJ as well, so I'll try and cover all of them.

Its a "massive" upgrade if you care about sound isolation and leakage, of course at the expense of slight reduction in soundstage expansion.  I kid you not, I can finally jam these while sitting next to my wife on the couch!!!  And can use them as earplugs (with large eartip for a better seal) to isolate the noise of my kids fighting over something...  Win-win situation!  Plus, my ears were a bit sensitive to T1 brightens, but no more with T3 - loving these!

Btw, Vivian confirmed they will have an additional accessory in a form of some plastic covers for earbud portion of Titans.  I believe that's the one she mentioned to Nik about already (being sent to both of us).

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,408 of 3,012
  Its a "massive" upgrade if you care about sound isolation and leakage, of course at the expense of slight reduction in soundstage expansion.  I kid you not, I can finally jam these while sitting next to my wife on the couch!!!  And can use them as earplugs (with large eartip for a better seal) to isolate the noise of my kids fighting over something...  Win-win situation!  Plus, my ears were a bit sensitive to T1 brightens, but no more with T3 - loving these!

Btw, Vivian confirmed they will have an additional accessory in a form of some plastic covers for earbud portion of Titans.  I believe that's the one she mentioned to Nik about already (being sent to both of us).

Leakage yes, isolation no.  Not in my experience anyway.  Comparing same tips I used for both Titan an T3/T5.  Did you try the larger tips with the T1 as well?

Covers sound interesting.

Guessing I'm moving further away from the DUNU loop as more reviewers come on board (my location against me).  Sad but understandable.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,409 of 3,012

Leakage yes, isolation no.  Not in my experience anyway.  Comparing same tips I used for both Titan an T3/T5.  Did you try the larger tips with the T1 as well?

Covers sound interesting.

Guessing I'm moving further away from the DUNU loop as more reviewers come on board (my location against me).  Sad but understandable.

The problem with isolation for me, I think under the weight they don't sit as tight against my ears and all those airvents let the sound in.  Btw, I don't mean to say earplug-like isolation, relatively speaking to T1 I hear a much better isolation with my large hybrid tips.  Btw, the best isolation I heard so far is with Savant (testing them right now).  Now, these are like serious noise reduction earplugs :wink:

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #2,410 of 3,012
Yep  - loved the Savant.  Seriously considering selling the Adel U6, and either buying a Savant, or possibly the Trinity Phantom when it comes out.

And if you like the isolation with the Savant - you need to try the Alclair Curve and Jays q-Jays.  Amazing comfort and isolation - and wonderful sonics.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2,411 of 3,012
I'm wondering how many people have leakage as a serious concern. I don't think I've ever listened to IEM so loud that my wife or coworkers have complained about leakage. Now, with my HE400, sure. Those things leak sound worse than a sieve!

Agree about isolation being quite a bit better with the newer T3 & T5, which I noted in my review.

Hey Brooko: I know it's OT, but why Savant over U6? Should be getting Q-Jays relatively soon, too :wink:

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,412 of 3,012
You'll love the q-Jays Nick.  My favourite IEM for 2015.  I ended up buying the review set.  Could have kept it as a review set - but I always said that if I find an IEM I truly love, and want to keep "as my own" - I pay the company for it.  Reminds me - I probably need to talk about doing same with the DN2KJ with Vivian.

Nick - here's the graph of the U6 vs Savant vs DN2KJ

Note the U6's dip at 2K and again in the 5-8k region.

I usually like a lift in the 5-8K for female vocalists - adds that sweetness.  U6 doesn't have it unfortunately.

And here is the U6 vs q-Jays

The q-Jays are warmer than I'm usually used to - but they still have that list where it's needed.

I'm wondering how many people have leakage as a serious concern. I don't think I've ever listened to IEM so loud that my wife or coworkers have complained about leakage. Now, with my HE400, sure. Those things leak sound worse than a sieve!

Agree about isolation being quite a bit better with the newer T3 & T5, which I noted in my review.

Hey @Brooko: I know it's OT, but why Savant over U6? Should be getting Q-Jays relatively soon, too
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,413 of 3,012

Hey @Brooko: I know it's OT, but why Savant over U6? Should be getting Q-Jays relatively soon, too
wink.gif

My wife does, and that's all I have to worry about :)  Once kids are in a bed, and we finally can sit down and relax on the couch in a family room, even doing our own things, I like to be next to my honey.  My couch is where I do my music production on a laptop, write reviews, and test headphones.  T1 irritates a hell out of her lol!!!  Now, it has been given to her brother to keep it permanently lol!!!

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #2,414 of 3,012
Brooko: Thanks for the comparative FR data. The Savant FR curve surprises me. Looks like more bass than I'd expected after reading reviews. That U6 curve looks pretty wonky - quite ragged up top. Wondering how Q-Jays compare to FAD H-VII. Did you try those?

twister6: Yeah, I don't typically listen to anything with leakage next to my wife. I listened to HE400 lying in bed once, and my wife put an end to that :wink:

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,415 of 3,012
We should start a support group, like the angry wife thread or something. I've been booted out off the bedroom in the past because of the titans. Now I ignore my wife because of I'm totally in love with my dunu+amp+dap combo. (Had to add "dunu" just to stay on topic.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back