DUNU reboots with the TITAN S, an entry-level, $79 single dynamic earphone!
Dec 24, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #31 of 59
I believe the DUW - 02 cable does cost $80

If it is not discontinued.
The DUW-02 is discontinued.

The DUW-02S will be released soon.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #32 of 59
Jan 20, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #34 of 59
Just received a review unit of the DUNU Titan S. Here are some quick impressions:

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-20 at 18.53.59 (1).jpeg

Accessories wise, really quite excellent.
Included are:
1) IEMs themselves
2) Cable - High-Purity, Mixed Strand Monocrystalline Copper & Silver-Plated Copper 0.78 mm 2 pin plug - it is sturdy enough, but is on the thinner side and has slight microphonics
3) 3 variants of silicone tips (S/M/L)
4) Shirt clip - this can minimize microphonics if used
5) Leatherette zip pouch - quite elegant with inner lined velvet material

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-20 at 18.53.59.jpeg

Build-wise, the IEMs themselves have a steampunk metal finish, and they look quite bada** if I'd say so. They are very comfortable with no weird edges. Nozzles are long and should give some extension for those with big ears. However, not sure if those with smaller ears might find these IEMs sticking out of the ears a lot.

Isolation is average, as per a vented single DD set. They are easy to drive from lower powered sources, but as per most single DD, amping scales dynamics and soundstage/micro-details.

Now on to sound, the most relevant portion!

The Titan S are a neutral/neutral bright IEM.

DUNU Titan S.jpg

Graph of Titan S via IEC711 compliant coupler. 8/9 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

Bass on the Titan S is just a tinge north of neutral, and this set is mid-bass centric. There is not much sub-bass rumble, so this is not an IEM for bassheads. What the Titan S cede in bass quantity, they ace in quality, with the bass being tight, fast and accurate. Texturing is above average, with no mid-bass bleed.

The lower midrange is neutral, and may sound a bit thin in note weight due to the lack of mid-bass bleed. Upper mids are forward without being shouty, with just a 10 dB pinna gain here. They are not fatiguing and the midrange is very transparent and clear, with female vocals predominant over male vocals.

Treble is quite well extended but not fatiguing. Clarity and micro-details are there without being overly pushed, with cymbals/high hats not being splashy. Sibilance is minimal to mild.

Timbre is authentic for vocals and acoustic instruments, though note weight is on the thinner side. In terms of technical performance, imaging, instrument separation, clarity and micro-details are excellent for a single DD. Soundstage is wider than deep/tall, and would just be on the average side all things considered.

I know this year is the year of the LCP diaphragm battle, with the Tin T3 Plus and Moondrop Aria 2021 being the main competitors for the Titan S at this price bracket.
I haven't done in depth A/B testing, but the Titan S is definitely more analytical and technical than the Aria, with more treble extension and sparkle than the Aria. The Titan S definitely has better bass texturing and technical performance than the Tin T3 Plus, which is quite one noted in the bass with an undefined textureless bass. All 3 sets have good timbre as per their single DD roots, but the Titan S will be the most analytical and technical of them all.

Even compared to the highly lauded HZSound Heart Mirror, another neutral bright budget single DD, the Titan S have a better soundstage and timbre and less peaks in the upper mids/treble. Would have to do some detailed A/B testing to compare the technical performance of these 2 sets, but the Heart Mirror is harder to drive.

There aren't many neutral bright/neutral IEMs at the budget segment, most are tuned V shaped or harmanish to suit consumer preferences. I do think the Titan S is very unique in this aspect, tonality is excellent for a neutral set, with good timbre and technicalities. The Titan S has few weaknesses in the tuning, perhaps only bassheads might stay away. I can recommend this set out of the box for someone looking for a well tuned neutral signature.

Will do burn in and do detailed comparisons with the other single DD contenders and report back!

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #37 of 59
Just received a review unit of the DUNU Titan S. Here are some quick impressions:

Included are:
1) IEMs themselves
2) Cable - High-Purity, Mixed Strand Monocrystalline Copper & Silver-Plated Copper 0.78 mm 2 pin plug - it is sturdy enough, but is on the thinner side and has slight microphonics

Build-wise, the IEMs themselves have a steampunk metal finish, and they look quite bada** if I'd say so. They are very comfortable with no weird edges. Nozzles are long and should give some extension for those with big ears. However, not sure if those with smaller ears might find these IEMs sticking out of the ears a lot.

Isolation is average, as per a vented single DD set. They are easy to drive from lower powered sources, but as per most single DD, amping scales dynamics and soundstage/micro-details.

Graph of Titan S via IEC711 compliant coupler. 8/9 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

Bass on the Titan S is just a tinge north of neutral, and this set is mid-bass centric. There is not much sub-bass rumble, so this is not an IEM for bassheads. What the Titan S cede in bass quantity, they ace in quality, with the bass being tight, fast and accurate. Texturing is above average, with no mid-bass bleed.

The lower midrange is neutral, and may sound a bit thin in note weight due to the lack of mid-bass bleed. Upper mids are forward without being shouty, with just a 10 dB pinna gain here. They are not fatiguing and the midrange is very transparent and clear, with female vocals predominant over male vocals.

Treble is quite well extended but not fatiguing. Clarity and micro-details are there without being overly pushed, with cymbals/high hats not being splashy. Sibilance is minimal to mild.

Timbre is authentic for vocals and acoustic instruments, though note weight is on the thinner side. In terms of technical performance, imaging, instrument separation, clarity and micro-details are excellent for a single DD. Soundstage is wider than deep/tall, and would just be on the average side all things considered.

I know this year is the year of the LCP diaphragm battle, with the Tin T3 Plus and Moondrop Aria 2021 being the main competitors for the Titan S at this price bracket.
I haven't done in depth A/B testing, but the Titan S is definitely more analytical and technical than the Aria, with more treble extension and sparkle than the Aria. The Titan S definitely has better bass texturing and technical performance than the Tin T3 Plus, which is quite one noted in the bass with an undefined textureless bass. All 3 sets have good timbre as per their single DD roots, but the Titan S will be the most analytical and technical of them all.

Even compared to the highly lauded HZSound Heart Mirror, another neutral bright budget single DD, the Titan S have a better soundstage and timbre and less peaks in the upper mids/treble. Would have to do some detailed A/B testing to compare the technical performance of these 2 sets, but the Heart Mirror is harder to drive.

There aren't many neutral bright/neutral IEMs at the budget segment, most are tuned V shaped or harmanish to suit consumer preferences. I do think the Titan S is very unique in this aspect, tonality is excellent for a neutral set, with good timbre and technicalities. The Titan S has few weaknesses in the tuning, perhaps only bassheads might stay away. I can recommend this set out of the box for someone looking for a well tuned neutral signature.

Will do burn in and do detailed comparisons with the other single DD contenders and report back!
Hi , my current daily driver is the HZ Heart Mirror. i was eyeing this. should i get this?..
whats an upgrade by getting this over HZHM ?

Jan 30, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #38 of 59
Hi , my current daily driver is the HZ Heart Mirror. i was eyeing this. should i get this?..
whats an upgrade by getting this over HZHM ?

Hi friend, both sets are rare neutral bright IEMs at the budget segment.

The Dunu Titan S is more refined and is an upgrade over the Heart Mirror IMHO in these areas:
- Titan S is not as hard to drive.
- Titan S is not so anaemic in bass quantity, especially sub-bass.
- Titan S is not so peaky in the treble with less sibilance and is smoother and less fatiguing.
- In terms of technicalities, they are quite close (in imaging, instrument separation and micro-details), perhaps the Titan S has a better soundstage. Heart Mirror has better clarity. But otherwise both are very technical single DD sets.
- Titan S has a better timbral accuracy and a thicker note weight.

Heart Mirror is better than Titan S in these areas:
- isolation
- fit
- clarity

The Heart Mirror used to be my default recommendation for a neutral bright sub $100 IEM, but the Dunu Titan S has overtaken this title. Both are very good neutral bright sets, and are rare tunings in a sea of V shaped and harman tuned IEMs. Having said that, considering the Titan S is about 2x more in price than the Heart Mirror, the Titan S is not 2x better in sound. But as per this hobby, there are diminishing going up the ladder from the budget segment.

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #39 of 59
Hi friend, both sets are rare neutral bright IEMs at the budget segment.

The Dunu Titan S is more refined and is an upgrade over the Heart Mirror IMHO in these areas:
- Titan S is not as hard to drive.
- Titan S is not so anaemic in bass quantity, especially sub-bass.
- Titan S is not so peaky in the treble with less sibilance and is smoother and less fatiguing.
- In terms of technicalities, they are quite close (in imaging, instrument separation and micro-details), perhaps the Titan S has a better soundstage. Heart Mirror has better clarity. But otherwise both are very technical single DD sets.
- Titan S has a better timbral accuracy and a thicker note weight.

Heart Mirror is better than Titan S in these areas:
- isolation
- fit
- clarity

The Heart Mirror used to be my default recommendation for a neutral bright sub $100 IEM, but the Dunu Titan S has overtaken this title. Both are very good neutral bright sets, and are rare tunings in a sea of V shaped and harman tuned IEMs. Having said that, considering the Titan S is about 2x more in price than the Heart Mirror, the Titan S is not 2x better in sound. But as per this hobby, there are diminishing going up the ladder from the budget segment.
Thank You for the detailed info

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #41 of 59
I'm facing issue with my Titan S. I have only had it for 3 days and it was fine in the beginning. But now left channel went significantly quiet. Center is off to the right. Bass is more on the right and less on the left. Detail retrieval seems better on the right and left side suffers distortion in the high frequencies especially in drum kicks.

I tried sucking in on the left side and it did help, but the more I listen to it, the more it gets quieter on the left side and everything shifts to the right. So sucking in actually does help, it makes it perfectly center. But within 10 minutes of listening it goes way off center to the right channel, losing detail every second.

Can you guys please tell me any fix for this ? Could this be a moisture issue ? I tried leaving it in a dry place for a day. But it didn't fix.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 59
I'm facing issue with my Titan S. I have only had it for 3 days and it was fine in the beginning. But now left channel went significantly quiet. Center is off to the right. Bass is more on the right and less on the left. Detail retrieval seems better on the right and left side suffers distortion in the high frequencies especially in drum kicks.

I tried sucking in on the left side and it did help, but the more I listen to it, the more it gets quieter on the left side and everything shifts to the right. So sucking in actually does help, it makes it perfectly center. But within 10 minutes of listening it goes way off center to the right channel, losing detail every second.

Can you guys please tell me any fix for this ? Could this be a moisture issue ? I tried leaving it in a dry place for a day. But it didn't fix.
We just replied to your PM --- in short, it shouldn't be a moisture issue, but is probably related to excess positive pressure altering the driver conformation, which is why "sucking in" helps.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #43 of 59
Super excited for this one. I might get one for myself soon!! I guess this will be my go to pair for use while working out :p

Would be a nice workout IEM with TWS adapters. It's fairly sensitive.

I've done so with my set and it indeed is - a solid TWS adapter would complete the package.

I, unfortunately, wear glasses, so those don't usually work well with me. I just run the cable behind my back under my shirt.

My video about Titan S. Great portion of nostalgia, but huge thanks to Dunu for re-vitalizing famous line and giving it a more modern treatment

Love the Star Wars reference.

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-20 at 18.53.59 (1).jpeg

Included are:
1) IEMs themselves

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-20 at 18.53.59.jpeg

DUNU Titan S.jpg

Nice reviews, both!

This doesn't sound like a moisture issue - moisture issues resolve themselves within 24 hours after being in a dry location. Does indeed sound like a pressure issue!

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #44 of 59
We just replied to your PM --- in short, it shouldn't be a moisture issue, but is probably related to excess positive pressure altering the driver conformation, which is why "sucking in" helps.
Hi, if it's a pressure issue, why don't my other IEM pairs suffer from it? The right side started having the same "pressure" issue a week after the left side. Now both of them suffer from channel imbalance and more driver issues. Using a syringe on both helps temporarily, but within 10 minutes it's way off. Your support form hasn't responded and I hope you're all able to provide a replacement because this seems to be a clear defect, none of my other pairs have ever had this issue before.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #45 of 59
Hi, if it's a pressure issue, why don't my other IEM pairs suffer from it? The right side started having the same "pressure" issue a week after the left side. Now both of them suffer from channel imbalance and more driver issues. Using a syringe on both helps temporarily, but within 10 minutes it's way off. Your support form hasn't responded and I hope you're all able to provide a replacement because this seems to be a clear defect, none of my other pairs have ever had this issue before.
We requested that you send in a support form on February 15, and received the inquiry only on February 26, which is on a weekend. We usually respond within three business days. We are willing to offer you a replacement but needed you to go through the proper channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back