DUNU FALCON PRO - Impressions thread
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #46 of 107
Is it possible to make a comparison with the Dunu SA6?
Not from the point of view of the graphics, but of the sound.
I demoed each one on separate days during CanJam.

I'll just comment on overall tonality a bit and focus on dynamics with the Reference nozzle. SA6 sounds clearer than the Falcon Pro. It is laidback but detailed, similar to the U12t in overall sound presentation, though the U12t is on another level in that regard. Falcon Pro is a warm-relaxed tuning with the Reference nozzle; clarity improves a bit with the Transparency nozzle but not to the extent of the SA6, I think. The Falcon Pro is even more laidback and is primarily for chilling out rather than analyzing music. The SA6 is better for analyzing music by ear.

Both have a great sense of dynamics though the Falcon Pro feels more dynamic since, with the SA6, I didn't quite get that "wash me over" feeling with the bassier sections of my test playlist that I attribute to satisfying bass texture and tactility. The way the BA drivers handling bass are tuned is very DD-like, but is missing the tactility I attribute to technically competent, well-tuned DDs, of which the Falcon Pro is one.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #47 of 107
I demoed each one on separate days during CanJam.

I'll just comment on overall tonality a bit and focus on dynamics with the Reference nozzle. SA6 sounds clearer than the Falcon Pro. It is laidback but detailed, similar to the U12t in overall sound presentation, though the U12t is on another level in that regard. Falcon Pro is a warm-relaxed tuning with the Reference nozzle; clarity improves a bit with the Transparency nozzle but not to the extent of the SA6, I think. The Falcon Pro is even more laidback and is primarily for chilling out rather than analyzing music. The SA6 is better for analyzing music by ear.

Both have a great sense of dynamics though the Falcon Pro feels more dynamic since, with the SA6, I didn't quite get that "wash me over" feeling with the bassier sections of my test playlist that I attribute to satisfying bass texture and tactility. The way the BA drivers handling bass are tuned is very DD-like, but is missing the tactility I attribute to technically competent, well-tuned DDs, of which the Falcon Pro is one.
Thanks .... from what you write, I think I like SA6 more. I prefer transparency, detail and speed ..

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #48 of 107
Thanks .... from what you write, I think I like SA6 more. I prefer transparency, detail and speed ..
Small detail, but I should clarify that I think I tried it with the bass switch off. Didn't check.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #50 of 107
We should also understand how much the Falcon Pro has already played and if it has yet to break in .............
Burn-in isn't an issue for either earphone. Go with the SA6.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #53 of 107
I want to share some impressions as well.

Love the fit and ergonomics. I'm not a fan of metal bodies, though. Can be cold and the stainless steel usually scratches quickly. So I wouldn't mind a plastic version of this design. The Falcon Pro look quite bling-bling and flashy. I don't think anybody would be surprised if these were priced above Campfire IEM.

The housing design is crazy. All these ports look awfully interesting to experiment with. On the downside, it impacts the isolation. You don't really get a closed feeling with the Falcon Pro, which can be a positive for many, but for me it also means that surrounding office noise is too high, for me personally.

Regarding the sound, based on the frequency response curve, I was expecting to prefer the Transparency nozzle. The tonality is very good, but I also found the contrast of lows and treble to be the strongest with this one. The Reference nozzle sounds warmer but also a little bit more homogenous, maybe? I am still tip-rolling and jumping back and forth between the two. The third is too warm for my taste.

I find it really interesting what the nozzles tell us and how much they can change the perception. Length and width are an important factor for tuning. The ear tips basically have a similar effect so there are countless ways to tweak the sound to one's liking. So this is a very interesting product!

I know 2020+ is all about Harman but there are still quite a few people who will disagree. Objectively, sub-bass boost does not belong into an IEM – it's a preference choice. And if you were to use accurate near-field monitors on a desk, what you receive has an upper bass boost – this is a reference for many in pro-audio. The DUNU Falcon Pro also has this voluptuous upper bass boost that creates a full sound. I dig it and I liked it with the Luna, too. It's punchy and has decent oomph. I consider these IEM to be slightly warm opposed to bassy. Is it completely free from bloat? Not really, but I don't consider it to be a big issue.

I really dig the midrange! And the transition into treble is excellent with all the different nozzles.
This single-DD has higher resolution than many multi-BA priced higher. I can hear small cues perfectly, but the Falcon Pro never distracts from the overall composition. There's intimacy with amazing depth and insane stereo width. This is a soundstage killer!

I'm still experimenting, but I really like the Falcon Pro so far. Transparency nozzle + warm ear tips or reference nozzle with short ear tips? Hmm, needs more comparison.

20210925-P9250460.jpg
20210925-P9250464.jpg
20210925-P9250465.jpg
20210925-P9250461.jpg20210925-P9250462.jpg20210925-P9250466.jpg20210925-P9250468.jpg20210925-P9250489.jpg
20210925-P9250488.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #54 of 107
The mids are awesome, special, engaging, perfect.
Woman voices sound amazing, can't stop listening to various arias.

The soundstage is unbelievable, better than a lot of open back headphones.
Layering, depth, positioning, space, natural proportions, everything is there on the perfect analogies.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #55 of 107

Love the fit and ergonomics. I'm not a fan of metal bodies, though. Can be cold and the stainless steel usually scratches quickly. So I wouldn't mind a plastic version of this design. The Falcon Pro look quite bling-bling and flashy. I don't think anybody would be surprised if these were priced above Campfire IEM.

The housing design is crazy. All these ports look awfully interesting to experiment with. On the downside, it impacts the isolation. You don't really get a closed feeling with the Falcon Pro, which can be a positive for many, but for me it also means that surrounding office noise is too high, for me personally.

Regarding the sound, based on the frequency response curve, I was expecting to prefer the Transparency nozzle. The tonality is very good, but I also found the contrast of lows and treble to be the strongest with this one. The Reference nozzle sounds warmer but also a little bit more homogenous, maybe? I am still tip-rolling and jumping back and forth between the two. The third is too warm for my taste.

I find it really interesting what the nozzles tell us and how much they can change the perception. Length and width are an important factor for tuning. The ear tips basically have a similar effect so there are countless ways to tweak the sound to one's liking. So this is a very interesting product!

I know 2020+ is all about Harman but there are still quite a few people who will disagree. Objectively, sub-bass boost does not belong into an IEM – it's a preference choice. And if you were to use accurate near-field monitors on a desk, what you receive has an upper bass boost – this is a reference for many in pro-audio. The DUNU Falcon Pro also has this voluptuous upper bass boost that creates a full sound. I dig it and I liked it with the Luna, too. It's punchy and has decent oomph. I consider these IEM to be slightly warm opposed to bassy. Is it completely free from bloat? Not really, but I don't consider it to be a big issue.

I really dig the midrange! And the transition into treble is excellent with all the different nozzles.
This single-DD has higher resolution than many multi-BA priced higher. I can hear small cues perfectly, but the Falcon Pro never distracts from the overall composition. There's intimacy with amazing depth and insane stereo width. This is a soundstage killer!

I'm still experimenting, but I really like the Falcon Pro so far. Transparency nozzle + warm ear tips or reference nozzle with short ear tips? Hmm, needs more comparison.

20210925-P9250460.jpg20210925-P9250464.jpg20210925-P9250465.jpg20210925-P9250461.jpg20210925-P9250462.jpg20210925-P9250466.jpg20210925-P9250468.jpg20210925-P9250489.jpg
20210925-P9250488.jpg
Fine photos too! Thanks

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #56 of 107
Am I the only one having huge problems with fitment and keeping a good seal? I’ve tried literally every tip in my large collection without success unless I am sitting still.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #58 of 107

20210925-P9250460.jpg20210925-P9250464.jpg20210925-P9250465.jpg20210925-P9250461.jpg20210925-P9250462.jpg20210925-P9250466.jpg20210925-P9250468.jpg20210925-P9250489.jpg
20210925-P9250488.jpg
Thanks for the impressions and awesome photos! You make that inner protective mesh look good!

Am I the only one having huge problems with fitment and keeping a good seal? I’ve tried literally every tip in my large collection without success unless I am sitting still.
We've not received feedback from our initial cohort of reviewers or from listeners at this past weekend's CanJam regarding a poor fit. Most seem to get along with it okay.

Is this with the Transparency nozzle? It may be because of the shorter length. Some people have fit issues with a shorter length stem, and the nozzle was tested less frequently at CanJam, so we have less clear of an idea about how its length might affect fit.. At the same time, foam tips are always a remedy with a high probability of success for fit issues.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Sep 30, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #59 of 107
Is this with the Transparency nozzle? It may be because of the shorter length. Some people have fit issues with a shorter length stem, and the nozzle was tested less frequently at CanJam, so we have less clear of an idea about how its length might affect fit.. At the same time, foam tips are always a remedy with a high probability of success for fit issues.
I've had issues with both the Transparency and the Reference. I will do more experimentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back