Dunu DN-900 - Dunu's Dual Hybrid IEM - Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #31 of 86
After reading the DN-900 is mid centric I've become very interested.  The price is also appealing allowing me to dip my toes into the hybrid waters with no piranha/high price pains.

P.S. Looking forward to the introduction of the ED 209 balanced armatures; it's the future of sonic enforcement.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 86
Ok, cool. Dunu should make some foam for the case.

It kind of is foam inside, it's padded out with foam on the lid and a really semi/squishy kind of padding in the bottom. It's a good size a little deeper than a pelican case. I always have trouble fitting my hybrids into those cases because they pinch the cable in the lid and although they fit you must man handle them to do so, this case was made a little bigger.

If anyone was ever going to say "We're going to make a wicked loud case to sell with our IEM!" it's Dunu with their DN-900.
The downside to this however is it is the only case, there's no soft pouch which is kind of a bummer.

But all you need do is look at your awesome coffin case again and those feelings go away. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #34 of 86
It isn't identical to a real Pelican case but it is very close. Definitely better than an OtterBox. I hope they can come up with a smaller one like those Monitor Vault sold by Westone. Westone has the right idea of making a small case but their build quality isn't up to par.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #35 of 86
looks good, but can't find any info on them on the web.  or the mentioned astrotec ax30/35

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #37 of 86
My initial experience with this class of IEM has been with the TDK IE800 and it's really intrigued me as to the possibilities of dual dynamics.  The problem for me is isolation.  It's a major achilles heal vs. BA IEMs. 

I think the BA/dynamic hybrids are getting the FOTM attention, but the real value might be in these dual dynamics.  

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #38 of 86
Have listened to this for about an hour now and I must say that I am extremely impressed! I recently reviewed the MA750 and I proclaimed it the best IEM under $200 and I feel like the DN-900 is on par, which is quite a feat.

The bass is wonderful, with very nice impact and staying fast. It has very nice detail and does well in both fast and slow tracks. Although someone else stated that it is as good as the DN-1000's bass, I have to respectfully disagree; it's not quite there yet, but it is still awesome for $120.

Mids are slightly forward upon the first listen and I was quite taken aback, but after a dew minutes my ears adapted and the midrange was very pleasant and not as un your face. Vocals are absolutely beautiful and although the bass is exceptional, my favourite oart of this IEM is the midrange.

Ah, now comes the treble. It is somewhat recessed, but not too recessed. I feel like the red rings helped it the most and I order the red rings by far. Vymbals still have a nice decay, but it is a bit short but not dull. It is never harsh.

Soundstage is above average, not too impressive, but I'm hoping that it eill improve with burn in and become more like the DN-1000's soundstage.

Separation is very good, somewhere around the AX7's level. Ince again, the 1K betters it though.

Now to what I don't like:
Why is the case is yellow? And why a pelican? I would have preferred the 1K case which us probably cheaper as well.
Personally, I don't like the matte finish and the R and L on the earphones; I find them a bit tacky.
The plug is a bit too bulky and I don't like the serial number in the plug.

This is no DN-1000 beater, nor was it intended to be, but it is a wonderful $120 IEM.

Review is coming soon :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #39 of 86
My review is up - first page second post.

I will add some pictures maybe tomorrow - and I will update my review in a week to compare the 900's against Rooth LSX5

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #42 of 86
Hey guys. I was planning to purchase these from a local seller and I was wondering how it's bass compares to RHA MA750, Gr07, Mh1c and Yamaha EPH 100 in terms of quality, quantity and speed? Tnx

Less in quantity than EPH-100 or MHC and closer to GR07, Speeds good, textures decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back