DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Aug 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #946 of 2,123
I compared X5 and X5ii in my review of the X5ii.  They are actually really close. The original is perhaps a shade flatter, almost more refined.  The X5ii slightly more vibrant.  You're talking very slight increments though.  Biggest features for the X5ii are probably the power management and instant off.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #947 of 2,123
I compared X5 and X5ii in my review of the X5ii.  They are actually really close. The original is perhaps a shade flatter, almost more refined.  The X5ii slightly more vibrant.  You're talking very slight increments though.  Biggest features for the X5ii are probably the power management and instant off.
[/quote)
@brooko. So I would not need to "upgrade" then? I quite like the effortless sound of the original X5

Aug 6, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #948 of 2,123
If you like the X5 original - then I see no real reason to upgrade.  A couple of different features (like the instant-on) are handy but not necessary.  Like I mentioned in my review - the changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #949 of 2,123
Ok, so it has been a few days and still prefer the Altone 200 to the 2000J's. By quite a lot actually. The 2000J's have some kind of sound in the treble that I don't really like. Especially with cymbals/high hat. The bass is weaker, and drum sounds don't have the same impact and realism. If anything is better, I would say vocals are, but the Altones are more euphoric when singers start belting out. The 2000J's are everything people say they are, balanced, some good bass, detailed, but just not for me.

I'm kind of bored with the Savants too, drums just don't sound real. Doesn't get my foot tapping. I tried the rest of the Nobles too, including the K10, and the Savants sounded the best to me.

For me the best judge of an IEM, is which one I grab more often. And the Altones seem to be it. I could go on about the details of what kind of sound all of these have, but I think the reviews here, especially Brooko's, are actually spot on and better than anything I could do. The frequency response graph he did is exactly what I am hearing. It makes sense, and makes me think I don't want a "balanced" IEM. In actuality, I must really like a heavy "V" sound. And I didn't really know that until now. I guess you don't know what you want until you try everything.

If there is a disclaimer, I would say my opinion would be in a minority on headfi as I like a lot of heavy metal and in your face sound. As detailed and impactful as possible without being fatiguing. I'm not sitting back chillin listening to classical or jazz.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #950 of 2,123
Good reply & you'd be surprise by the diversity of sonic taste on the forums 
wink.gif
.  And I'd guess many are like me - very expansive libraries covering classical to grunge.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #952 of 2,123
If you like the X5 original - then I see no real reason to upgrade.  A couple of different features (like the instant-on) are handy but not necessary.  Like I mentioned in my review - the changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I'll have to try the 2000J with the X5. The P1 has been hogging listening time and even the AK100ii can't get a look in.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #953 of 2,123
I'd chime in, but ohm-image has the 2000Js that I'd been using right now and will continue to have them for the rest of the summer, probably.

But there is now this: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DunuDN2000J.pdf
You can compare them to this: http://cymbacavum.com/2015/06/13/gojira-or-how-the-dunu-dn-2000j-changed-my-mind-about-hybrid-iems/3/

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #954 of 2,123
Now that tyll released the measurement of these, it's surprising to find the Both the DN1000 and DN2000 measuring better...

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #955 of 2,123
  Ok, so it has been a few days and still prefer the Altone 200 to the 2000J's. By quite a lot actually. The 2000J's have some kind of sound in the treble that I don't really like. Especially with cymbals/high hat. The bass is weaker, and drum sounds don't have the same impact and realism. If anything is better, I would say vocals are, but the Altones are more euphoric when singers start belting out. The 2000J's are everything people say they are, balanced, some good bass, detailed, but just not for me.

I'm kind of bored with the Savants too, drums just don't sound real. Doesn't get my foot tapping. I tried the rest of the Nobles too, including the K10, and the Savants sounded the best to me.

For me the best judge of an IEM, is which one I grab more often. And the Altones seem to be it. I could go on about the details of what kind of sound all of these have, but I think the reviews here, especially Brooko's, are actually spot on and better than anything I could do. The frequency response graph he did is exactly what I am hearing. It makes sense, and makes me think I don't want a "balanced" IEM. In actuality, I must really like a heavy "V" sound. And I didn't really know that until now. I guess you don't know what you want until you try everything.

If there is a disclaimer, I would say my opinion would be in a minority on headfi as I like a lot of heavy metal and in your face sound. As detailed and impactful as possible without being fatiguing. I'm not sitting back chillin listening to classical or jazz.

The Altone 200? Wow! I don't hear it competing with the 2000J at all, but okay. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #956 of 2,123

There is really a problem with the consistency of Altone 200 tuning. I sent mine for repairs because the left bass driver went dead. I got it back and the bass is now much lesser in quantity. They are now on par with dn2000j.

In my case, the DUNU bass has more depth and better texture/detail. But not much.

Mids is more upfront on my Altone but the DUNU is more refined / smooth.

Treble wise DUNU is more detailed but a bit more edgy/sibilant while Altone is a bit more piercing to my ears. But with the right tips both can be smoothen to an extent.

DN2000j is technically better, Altone 200 is great value at pre-order price. Both I like very much.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #958 of 2,123
Hey d marc0, have you tried H300? Mines were sent back to warranty, just hope they don't come back with less bass because it was just amazing... :S

The H300 will be fine. I think it's got something to do with the Altone having very small cases.

DN2000j bass can actually compete against the H300 in terms of bass quality but its quantity is lesser. As for the overall balance,they both have emphasis in the upper frequency. Personally I prefer the DUNU a little bit more.

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #959 of 2,123
Hello guys, I got my 2000J today. I'll do a review later. For now all I say is that they sound great from the right amp and right tips, but are picky about amp source.

Can anyone tell me if the SpinFit tips are compatible with the 2000J?
http://www.earwerkz.com/accessories/spinfit-silicone-iem-tips-3-pairs

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #960 of 2,123
Check my review Levi - http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2000j/reviews/13243

There's a photo on their with the Spinfits attached 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back