DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Aug 4, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #931 of 2,123
Wow, so funny that I saw this review today. Brooko's awesome review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-savant/reviews/13696

I just got my DUNU 2000J's yesterday and I am comparing them to my Savants and Altone 200's. What a coincidence!

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #932 of 2,123
I'llbe interested in your thoughts once you have a chance to get used to them :)

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #933 of 2,123
- The Altone's are still the most fun, the best on drum and bass by far! I like these at low-medium volumes. Metalcore for sure!
- The Savants are smooth and detailed, but artificial sounding with percussion and bass. The best vocals. For rock and ballads.
- The 2000J's honestly don't sound all that good. I don't know if they need to burn in for a week or two? The bass is only slightly better than the Savants, and they seem to peak in the treble where it sounds fatiguing after a while. I definitely don't want to turn the volume up on these. I'll spend some more time with them and maybe find some EQ settings that work. I was hoping these would be super Altone 200's.

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #935 of 2,123
My advice - when you get a new IEM use it and only it for 3-4 days at least.  Let your ears and brain get used to the new signature. After that, compare it to your other IEMs.

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #937 of 2,123
  My advice - when you get a new IEM use it and only it for 3-4 days at least.  Let your ears and brain get used to the new signature. After that, compare it to your other IEMs.

I fully agree with this!! very good advice as often we prefer the sound signature we are more used because of familiarity before we adjust to something new.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #938 of 2,123
Hello I've been on a recent quest for a good earphone as I currently don't have one. I'm about to 'pull the trigger' on the DN-2000J but I would love it if you folks could help me straighten out a few things first:

Regarding amping: Since these are rated at 8 ohms, do I need to drive them only with the likes of a common cell phone? Or if I were to use a portable DAP/amp like the Fiio X5, would that further refine the sound? (are these 'scalable'?)

Next, I've read most of the technical description of the DN-2000 vs. 2000J, however is there really enough audible improvement in the J version to justify the extra $70?

Finally, would anybody recommend the T-PEOS Altone-200 instead of the DN-200J? And if so, why? The Altone is the other one I'm considering, and below are my sound sig. preferences, which you can use to base the recommendation for me on which one these 3 are 'for me' please:

sound preferences:
Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead), punchy dynamics and at least a moderately good soundstage. 
Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #939 of 2,123
  Finally, would anybody recommend the T-PEOS Altone-200 instead of the DN-200J? And if so, why? The Altone is the other one I'm considering, and below are my sound sig. preferences, which you can use to base the recommendation for me on which one these 3 are 'for me' please:

sound preferences:
Detailed in all frequencies (borderlining analytical) with good sub-bass and treble extension yet fairly flat (accurate bass but non-basshead), punchy dynamics and at least a moderately good soundstage. 
Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Based on those preferences you need to include the A83s in your research as well.  That's my recommendation.  :)

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #940 of 2,123
I have all 3 (4 if you count the A83). They are each quite different. I'm just off to work - but hopefully can compare them for you later when I get home

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #942 of 2,123
Here's the graphs for the 2000, 2000J and the Altone.  More commentary later .....

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #943 of 2,123
Hello, that looks great Brooko. So far I think I prefer the 2000J but that's just based on the FR graph alone, and as I've realised, specs alone don't always describe the sound.

I'm interested to see if the actual sound output of the "J" version is worth the extra $80 compared to the 2000. Also a concern is that it's rated at only 8 ohms, then how about amping? Should this be driven off the likes of a cell phone only, or does it scale with amps, such as the portable Fiio x5 DAP/amp?

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #944 of 2,123
Hi Levi

Sorry for the delay mate.  Got home late from work, and had more to do when I got home. One of those days.

Right ....... comparatively ........

Volume matched at 1 kHz:

SONICS
  1. Altone is the bassiest of the three, has really good thump, and has a very clear mid-range, but tilted toward the upper mid-range, and sometimes a little thin comparatively in the lower mids. I really like it with female vocalists and also female electronica and trance. Hits hard but also sounds very sweet in the vocals. The bass is relatively clean, with just a little excess bloom. Not a big fan with deeper voices (male), but it does work quite well with Alt Rock (Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Wilson) for my tastes. Overall quite a fun V/U shaped sound.

2. DN-2000 is probably the most balanced of the three.  It has very good quality bass - very linear, but also really nice bass extension, and good sub bass presence. Probably has the most cohesive mid-range in terms of transition from lower mids through to upper mids. Quite a refined and clear sound, and does most virtually all genres really well. Very good with Pearl Jam (my litmus test for male vocals), and no slouch with most female vocals.  My only issue with it (and this is because of my own bias *see below* rather than a deficiency in the earphone), is that sometimes I find it a little rolled off in the lower treble, and for want of a better word - too polite. Although it has excellent clarity, I find it doesn't have enough energy up top. So at times it becomes slightly boring.  YMMV.

3. DN2000J is my personal favourite. Probably has the best overall speed and quality of bass, although a little more mid-bass than sub-bass (both well represented though). Mid-range again relatively well balanced and cohesive - but tilted slightly toward the upper mid-range.  Very, very clear. Defintiely a brighter tilt, and a few have already commented that it might be prone to a bit of sibilance (I don't notice it). I think enjoyment with the 2000J may also be dependent on your listening volumes. Some of the comments about being too bright or sibilant have come from people who either listen louder than I do, or who listen to more metal or harder rock.  I see you have the DT880 though, and if you have no problem with it, you should also quite like the 2000J. I find the brighter top end is really good with female vocalists, and I really like these with electronic (actually with all genres).

BUILD
All 3 are built really well - I just like some of the innovations from DUNU - like the in-built cable ties and also the cinch. I had issues with tips sliding of the DN-2000 due to the smooth nozzle bores. This is a lot better on the 2000J. If I had to amke a subjective call (and it is close), I'd go 2000J > 2000 > Altone

COMFORT
Altone is clear winner here due to its size.  They just diappear after a while.  Both 2000 and 2000J have quite bulk housings. The 2000J are very slightly smaller and I find this noticeable (better). I've slept with all three intact before - but with the 2000 I did wake up with sore ears. Altone > 2000J > 2000.

*Note on my pref* - should have stated this in the beginning - quoting straight from my reviews ....
I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences.  I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the T1 and DT880.

I have extensively tested myself (abx) and I find aac256 or higher to be completely transparent.  I do use exclusively redbook 16/44.1 if space is not an issue.  All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line).

I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables, and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences.  I am not a ‘golden eared listener’.  I suffer from mild tinnitus, and at 48, my hearing is less than perfect.

So might pay to take above into account when reading my very subjective comments.

On the subject of amplification and DAPs.  I've used all 3 out of iPhone5, X1, X3ii, X5, and X5ii.  I also amped most of them at different times with an E11K, E17K, A200p, and of course the iDSD. In my tests, amping has never added a new dimension to any of the three IEMs. They also sound perfectly good out of an iPhone5.  I think all you need is a DAP/player with low headphone out impedance (and all the Fiios satisfy this).

My pick of the DAPs I have coupled with the 2000J would be the X3ii and X5ii - both have a little more vividness/vitality than the X5 original.  But that is pretty minor and the X5 2000J pairing is also pretty special.

Hope some of this helps.  If you have specific questions, fire away and I'll try to help further.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #945 of 2,123
Wow that really explains things for me... and opens a few new questions. Much obliged!

So it seems that the Altone is somewhat more for bassheads, even if they may not admit it; and the 2000J is more punchy and detailed, making it very well versatile. I think I trust your ears on this one, Brooko - but everyone hears things differently so I'll try to compare the Altone myself later as well. For now I think I'll get the 2000J, and with my preference for natural sounding bass and over clarity, it seems the 2000J should be worth the extra money over the other two.

That's so rad! It seems like the X5ii may have an edge over the x5 Fiio DAP. I didn't even know the ii existed. I'd like to ask the differences but I think I'll just post that in the x5 thread. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back