DUNU DN-2000J -- More Than Evolution?
Jul 29, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #918 of 2,123
I have the Altone 200's and love them for metal music. They totally opened my eyes to Hybrids. Are the 2000J's going to be better than the Altones? I almost bought the K3003, but then I read the 2000J's have more texture to the bass. I really like the Altone 200's bass texture and clarity in the vocals.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #919 of 2,123
  I have the Altone 200's and love them for metal music. They totally opened my eyes to Hybrids. Are the 2000J's going to be better than the Altones? I almost bought the K3003, but then I read the 2000J's have more texture to the bass. I really like the Altone 200's bass texture and clarity in the vocals.

From - http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-2000j/reviews/13243

Bass Quality and Quantity

Most triple hybrids I’ve tried have tended to have the dynamic driver swing more towards having the bass either very prominent, or at least a reasonable V shape overall. This was particularly so with the DN-1000 and Altone-200, slightly more balanced (still V shaped though) with the A83, and to a lesser extent the DN-2000.  The DN-2000J is the first hybrid I’ve tried where the bass feels really nicely balanced with the overall spectrum, and the quality and texture of the bass is its real strongpoint.

Amongst my test tracks, one of the first tracks I go to is Muddy Waters by Mark Lanegan.  This blues rock track is quite dark and brooding anyway, and tends to expose drivers that are a little loose or too mid-bass oriented. The 2000J was brilliant with this track – no massive over-decay present, but still maintained the depth in the sub-bass. Mark’s voice had the desired gravel and melancholy tonality which I know is present on the track, and the kick drum was perfect.  Not too boomy, great impact – just really clean, and high quality bass.

Next track was to test the depth of the sub-bass, so I switched to Lorde’s “Royals” – and once again the DN-2000J  Titan delivered with consummate ease. Again there is no noticeable bloom from the kick drum (at least none that isn’t already in the recording), and more importantly the bass guitar is reaching really low.  Ella’s vocals still come through clear and clean. A brilliantly contrasting track – and the better for the clarity and quality of the overall bass.

COMPARISON OTHER IEMS

These comparisons were all done with the X3ii – and volume matched using a calibrated SPL meter and fixed 1kHz test tone first.

Here are my very subjective thoughts:

• DN-2000J vs Altone-200

The Altone sounds almost distant, and very thin (particularly with male vocals) compared to the 2000J.  Altone is a lot more V shaped, and bass is very noticeable. Altone is quite a bit brighter – but the DN-2000J sounds both cleaner, clearer and smoother.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #921 of 2,123
Over time...sure.  That's the main reason I returned my DN2000Js...just didn't want to risk it because of how much flex I was getting putting them in and out all of the time.

@dbdynsty. You returned them?! The driver flex is that bad for you, even though you appreciated the sound quality?
Will you go back to the A83, or even the GR07BE?

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #922 of 2,123
@dbdynsty. You returned them?! The driver flex is that bad for you, even though you appreciated the sound quality?

I gave in, and decided to try the large grey non foam tips with the blue spacer to help get a better seal. I'm definitely not going to use the bass rings as I think It would spoil the lovely bass quality, let alone cause driver flex. Sound is getting better to me, though it still sounds a little thin and sibilant.A83 still winning the battle at the moment.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #923 of 2,123

Well I still have my gr07bes which is what I'm sticking with at the moment. I'll likely get another set of A83s when my money is refunded for the 2000js. I love the sound but the pressure build up and flex was just too irritating to my ears.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #925 of 2,123
  So how do the BE's sound after the 2000j, and did you prefer the sound to the A83?

I always thought the BEs were a bit simblant...after using the 2000J, I know that's not the case, lol.  I'm pretty sensitive to that and w/ the 2000Js, it was a little much for me, though I could deal with it because the rest of the spectrum is so fantastic (especially the bass).  However, once I found the tips I liked (JVC Dots), along w/ the bass rings, the driver flex was too much.  Can't deal w/ both of those things for 300+ dollars.  The fit of the A83 was the only thing I couldn't really solve perfectly, but it was decent.  

All that said, I preferred the sound of the A83s...I literally have no complaint with it at all...I just hate memory wires!

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #926 of 2,123

I always thought the BEs were a bit simblant...after using the 2000J, I know that's not the case, lol.  I'm pretty sensitive to that and w/ the 2000Js, it was a little much for me, though I could deal with it because the rest of the spectrum is so fantastic (especially the bass).  However, once I found the tips I liked (JVC Dots), along w/ the bass rings, the driver flex was too much.  Can't deal w/ both of those things for 300+ dollars.  The fit of the A83 was the only thing I couldn't really solve perfectly, but it was decent.  

All that said, I preferred the sound of the A83s...I literally have no complaint with it at all...I just hate memory wires!

Have you tried any of the Sony hybrids?

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #928 of 2,123

I sort of agree with you, though I am warming to the 2000j. I swapped the grey tips back to the white ones I was using previously, but with the blue spacers and yes, I'm getting there. With P1, the sibilance is less so I suspect, than on other devices, and the mid and upper ranges are a little thin.
How did you get on with the Linum Bax cable you were using on the fidues, and yeah, they are fiddly to get a good fit but I still like them too, better than the Dunu, but I shall persist with them and do more listening.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #929 of 2,123
I heard a pair yesterday. I don't understand the hype. I didn't hear any real detail or separation, the highs were not crisp, the lows were boring.

I was only using my iPhone as the source, but I've never listened to a good set of headphones that didn't sprinkle even a little bit of its magic no matter the source. They sounded very much like my Sony MDR-7506s. I have a critically listen to my MDR-7506s in 8 to 10 years, yet I still use them for field recording.

I was really looking forward to buying these headphones, but I just didn't feel anything special.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #930 of 2,123
I heard a pair yesterday. I don't understand the hype. I didn't hear any real detail or separation, the highs were not crisp, the lows were boring.

I was only using my iPhone as the source, but I've never listened to a good set of headphones that didn't sprinkle even a little bit of its magic no matter the source. They sounded very much like my Sony MDR-7506s. I have a critically listen to my MDR-7506s in 8 to 10 years, yet I still use them for field recording.

I was really looking forward to buying these headphones, but I just didn't feel anything special.

Maybe it's not your preferred sound? Or perhaps more time was needed because I would say that there is, to me, plenty of detail, and well balanced bass .
They didn't wow me at first either but the sound for me, has gotten better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back