Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
May 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,186 of 1,320

I assume you might be referring to my impressions? Any impressions that I share are based on listening through my "Objective DAC"/"O2 AMP" which are considered neutral. Anyway, I don't pay too much attention to sources these days (as long as they hold a reasonably level of quality) as the differences they make don't really affect the basic characteristics of IEMs which is what I focus on. In my experience sources make minor differences, but don't really affect the basic signature of an IEM. However, those slight differences can of course mean a lot to certain individuals.

the sound stage shrinks considerably using the iHifi 770 dap

I'm certainly no expert, but in my experience there are so many factors in play that we sometimes make mistakes about the actual source of changes in sound. For example, the sound stage can change with tips and how they're are fitted from time to other. I'm not saying that's the case in your case. I'm simply trying to make a point.

What seems to be somewhat critical though is the output impedance as if it mismatches may cause changes in frequency response. The rule of thumb, I've learned, is that the output impedance should be at least about an eight of the impedance of the headphone. For example, the impedance of the Sennheiser HD 650 is 300 Ohms, so in that case the output impedance of the amp shouldn't be higher than about 37.5 Ohms.

The impedance of the DN-2000 is 16 Ohms, so that would mean the source output impedance shouldn't be more than about 2 Ohms. As I said, I'm no expert, but I think most DAPs come in under 2 Ohms. As far as I know the iHifi 770 has two headphone outputs and I believe I read somewhere the impedance differs between the two outputs. Maybe that would explain something. Then again maybe not...

I believe I read in the DN-2000J thread that the impedance of the 2000J is just 8 Ohms. So, in that case an output impedance lower than 2 Ohms would be desirable. The output impedance of my O2 amplifier is just 0.54 Ohms so it works with pretty much anything and it doesn't color anything making it perfect for comparisons.

Maybe some technical expert can chip in!?

EDIT: I just remembered that my iPod Touch gen. 4 actually shrinks the sound stage to some small extent, but I have no real idea why. Don't know its output impedance (and can't seem to find it). However, in no way does it alter the basic signature of my IEMs.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,188 of 1,320
  Would the Dunu DN2000 beat the Bose QC20 iem by a mile in term of sound quality? I know the Bose has the Noise canceling thing but let put that aside.

Not sure, haven't heard that but probably yes.

BTW, I see the DN2000J in stock in LMUE 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #1,190 of 1,320
  REally? No one on here has listened to the Bost QC20? It's like the most popular IEM out there for noise canceling.

2 things, firstly, noise cancellation may not be everyone's cup of tea. Most of us just use the iem's native passive isolation.

Secondly it's kinda 2am in the West now so they're probably mostly asleep.. From your name you should be from Singapore/ Malaysia yea.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #1,192 of 1,320
I think that isolation is key for the proper reproduction of music but at the same time it should not be achieved throuhh artificial means.

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,194 of 1,320
Auditioned the DN2000 yesterday and was very impressed. 

Standing next to the JH Roxanne and recabled balanced SE846, DN2000 still shines, delivering outstanding sound that worth more than its price. 

I'm seriously considering a pair 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,195 of 1,320

Standing next to the JH Roxanne and recabled balanced SE846, DN2000 still shines, delivering outstanding sound that worth more than its price. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Do try the DN2000J too, it's slightly more expensive than the DN2000, but personally I feel it's better as well! 

It basically addressed the issues I had with the DN2000 that would otherwise make it perfect: 1) It has a very smooth presentation, which can work very well for some, but have the opposite effect on others  2) treble is slightly lacking. These two weaknesses, I feel, make the DN2000 exceptional for everything except metal, which I listen to alot nowadays. 

Good news - the DN2000J addresses the two issues completely. This makes the DN2000J perfect for my tastes. Bad news - I already reshelled the DN2000 and I am unlikely to be able to afford the DN2000J till further notice since I cannot resell it.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,196 of 1,320

smily_headphones1.gif

I recently bought the shure 535's but i really want to buy a pair of dunu 2000 or 2000j's. The only thing that makes me doubt is the design of the actual phone, for a good sounding phone i want to insert it nice and deep to get good isolation and i also want it to stay in firmly. The dunu's design kinda scare me as it feels like its just too shallow, but maybe thats how it has to be with a dynamic driver.

EDIT: oh yeah, no detachable cable? if it breaks im gonna cry

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,197 of 1,320
where can i purchase a good foam tip for dunu dn1000?
I have a foam tip (i dont remember the type or company) and the sound a lot better than silicon tip (Especially the deep bass), but it is torn very fast, so I need something strong

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,198 of 1,320
Jun 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,200 of 1,320
Just came back here to say im thoroughly enjoying the dn2000s. Owned them for going on 6 months now, and have really grown to love and appreciate the sound.

Initially thought the treble "sss" was a lil pronounced. Foam tips help with the treble but don't last long for me. Have since switched to the "spiral dot" jvc tips which were a lot more comfortable as well as sounded more even through the treble for me.

Also my brain seems to have adjusted (compensated?) to the iems and they simply sound just "natural" to me now. They easily project sound beyond your head and have pretty solid positioning (something that differentiates this from other similar-sounding iems below this price bracket). They also deliver an incredibly deep and hard-hitting, nuanced bass that's always enjoyable. Heard Dunu's already released an "upgrade" to these? curious, but im really happy with mine already. End-game iems for me :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back