Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #1,156 of 1,320
Yes, I feel the same way.  But now you`ve got me curious: how was the back attached?  Glue?  Do you think it would be easy to remove the other one as well? 

Looked like it to me I glued it back shut lol. I would think it should be fairly easy to remove I mean I did it by accident so I'd assume it can't be that hard.

I'm listening on a dap I'm reviewing I just can't stop listening got my earphones plugged in every moment I can. Dunu did do an amazing job I've never kept an iem this long!

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,159 of 1,320
Man oh man... these sound amazing! I'm so glad I went for it in spite of the mixed impressions, but some of guys are definitely on the ball with your descriptions!

So far it's a picky iem regarding source material and insertion dependent! lol

Proper tips was pretty much what sold me to the amazing sound capability of the Dunus!

(Waiting for my ihifi 770 and I'll see if I can write a proper review for these babies!)

Here's my find so far, after market tips can make them excel even further compared to the ones that came in the box; my ears are loving the fit and sound with the Miles Davis Trumpets foams!

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,160 of 1,320
Man oh man... these sound amazing! I'm so glad I went for it in spite of the mixed impressions, but some of guys are definitely on the ball with your descriptions!

Proper tips was pretty much what sold me to the amazing sound capability of the Dunus!

(Waiting for my ihifi 770 and I'll see if I can write a proper review for these babies!)

Here's my find so far, after market tips can make them excel even further compared to the ones that came in the box; my ears are loving the fit and sound with the Miles Davis Trumpets foams!

Do you find them a bit smooth around the mid-range? I find them a little too polite in the mids sometimes, a touch more aggression I say, a portion of vividness, but not too much to make them harsh. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,161 of 1,320
Dunus are a strange beast, I'll try and address the question to the best of my ability given that I've only started my "honeymoon" phase with them.

I'm coming from the Miles Davis Trumpets camp which I've grown to love: quite detailed iems with a nice smooth signature. The short answer to the mids is that it varies upon the recording (if not the eartips!).

Contrast between the Trumpets and the Dunu works for specific genres: I felt overwhelmed with the details when listening to say, the Charles Mingus Big Band on the Dn2k, whereas I prefer if not miss the laid back smooth details from the Trumpets.

I seem to enjoy hearing some death metal recordings with the super detailed Dunus! AsBloodRunsBlack or some Dir en Grey sound fantastic with all the cacophony happening around my head!

So far, as one respected head fi'er put it: it's a very silky sounding signature, this seems to hold from my impression. I definitely admire the restraint especially when I'm such a jazz fan. The detailed presentation/layout of the Miles Smiles album is a treat with the Dunu!

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,162 of 1,320
How are people using these in terms of the included ear guide / flap things?

I'm hoping they'll fit comfortably worn down without those, without the clip on the housing interfering with the ear's tragus. Are most people getting away with this setup successfully? Or are they uncomfortable?

Also, do they stay fully seated and sealed permanently after initial insertion? I.e. without the tips popping out some of the way after a while? This is one problem I've had with my current GR07 and I'm hoping the DN2000 won't have the same issue.

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,163 of 1,320
  How are people using these in terms of the included ear guide / flap things?

I'm hoping they'll fit comfortably worn down without those, without the clip on the housing interfering with the ear's tragus. Are most people getting away with this setup successfully? Or are they uncomfortable?

Also, do they stay fully seated and sealed permanently after initial insertion? I.e. without the tips popping out some of the way after a while? This is one problem I've had with my current GR07 and I'm hoping the DN2000 won't have the same issue.

Though my reply is different to your question, I am an "over-the-ear"wearing person type. But at least this will give you the idea of the fitting of the Dunu's in one's ears.

When I first got it, I did not even bother with the fins and ear-guides. I went straight wearing over-the-ear and the fit and comfort are perfect, but just a little adjustment in insertion until it reaches to a sweet spot.  I also use the included clipper so the cable can glide along my ears without touching the surface of top ear. They definitely stay seated in the ear concha and never hit the tragus. Yet, the end-housing ridges do not irritate nor bother the ears as far as I concern. What you need to care about is find the right ring and ear-tips combination - for me, I use the silver-ring and the clear silicone "1K" tips.

The Dunu sits and seal just fine when I walk around, cycling, workout, stairmaster, eliptical, and weight lifting. But the seal becomes a problem when I run (will need more trials for this) or when I do any exercise that require lying down like bench press and intensive sit-up. Also, whenever I clench or grind my teeth and grunting due to heavy lifting, the seal can be off too. Lastly, the housing protrudes little bit and I cannot use this as a sleeping earphone when sleeping, especially when in a side position.

Edit: do you mean the "springy" effect of the GR07 cable? I've had that nasty experience too where the GR07 cable keeps springing from my ears when worn over-the-ear. Gladly the Dunu's not - it's just as supple as a shoe laces so wearing over-the-ear never be a problem. I had to recabled that GR07  to get rid that stupid cable.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #1,164 of 1,320

Do you find them a bit smooth around the mid-range? I find them a little too polite in the mids sometimes, a touch more aggression I say, a portion of vividness, but not too much to make them harsh. 

I couldn't agree with you more, and this is what I'm hoping for in the DN-2000J (though I have no indication that is the case).

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,165 of 1,320
Dunus are a strange beast, I'll try and address the question to the best of my ability given that I've only started my "honeymoon" phase with them.

I'm coming from the Miles Davis Trumpets camp which I've grown to love: quite detailed iems with a nice smooth signature. The short answer to the mids is that it varies upon the recording (if not the eartips!).

Contrast between the Trumpets and the Dunu works for specific genres: I felt overwhelmed with the details when listening to say, the Charles Mingus Big Band on the Dn2k, whereas I prefer if not miss the laid back smooth details from the Trumpets.

I seem to enjoy hearing some death metal recordings with the super detailed Dunus! AsBloodRunsBlack or some Dir en Grey sound fantastic with all the cacophony happening around my head!

So far, as one respected head fi'er put it: it's a very silky sounding signature, this seems to hold from my impression. I definitely admire the restraint especially when I'm such a jazz fan. The detailed presentation/layout of the Miles Smiles album is a treat with the Dunu!

This is definitely my experience as well! Well recorded stuff from the eighties and nineties - more or less free of dynamic range compression - sounds more or less perfect to my ears, whereas many of the newer recordings can sound pretty off. As I remember it my AKG K3003 where a lot less sensitive in this respect making it better all round, but unable to excel the way the DN-2000 can with the right recording.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,166 of 1,320
  I couldn't agree with you more, and this is what I'm hoping for in the DN-2000J (though I have no indication that is the case).

I know it was mentioned a little in the DN-2000J thread, lets hope they considered it when they went back to the drawing board.

Its funny you know, DN-1000 seems to have that little edge I was mentioning while DN-2000 received the smoother mid-range.

Time will tell. I know you're a fan of Tenore (as am I) something around that mid-range bite would be welcome.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,167 of 1,320

I know it was mentioned a little in the DN-2000J thread, lets hope they considered it when they went back to the drawing board.

Its funny you know, DN-1000 seems to have that little edge I was mentioning while DN-2000 received the smoother mid-range.

Time will tell. I know you're a fan of Tenore (as am I) something around that mid-range bite would be welcome.

You know for that reason I'd really like to hear the DN-1000, and who knows, perhaps its more prominent bass (upper part of it as far as I understand) would be to my liking as well. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,168 of 1,320
I got a PM with a few questions from one of the thread members and I thought my reply might interest someone else too, so here it is!

"Hi!

I'm afraid I can't be of much help as I bought my DN2K used and I've never heard the GR07. Anyway, for what it's worth it took me a while to get used to and appreciate its very clean and comparatively shy sub bass response. Actually I find the DN2K's bass and treble some of the best I've ever heard, if not the best. If there's anything I'd like to change it would be the mids that I find too smooth, although quite recording dependent as some stuff is spot on. A little more bite/clarity in the mids, especially with strings would IMO make the DN2K very hard to defeat by many other TOTL IEMs.

Cheers"

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,169 of 1,320
I would second your statement for most part (I most likely received the same email). I believe that or impressions overlap in spite of our differences in sonic experiences (and gear obviously).

Re: Mids. I've grown to appreciate silky mids of the dn2k: it's what I'd imagine what people call lush when instruments weave into the music.

Re: Bass. No one can really complain about it since everyone who seriously did their research have been warned that this was tuned carefully to achieve a balanced sound. It is what it is. Some like blondes, I think they are fun...but I can't help but marry a brunette.

Highs? Still getting my head around them. I still am trying to figure proper setup because I've grown to lOve the Miles Davis Trumpets highs - extended, detailed but totally chill! No sibilance whatsoever.

What else? Bring it on.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,170 of 1,320
I would second your statement for most part (I most likely received the same email). I believe that or impressions overlap in spite of our differences in sonic experiences (and gear obviously).

Re: Mids. I've grown to appreciate silky mids of the dn2k: it's what I'd imagine what people call lush when instruments weave into the music.

Re: Bass. No one can really complain about it since everyone who seriously did their research have been warned that this was tuned carefully to achieve a balanced sound. It is what it is. Some like blondes, I think they are fun...but I can't help but marry a brunette.

Highs? Still getting my head around them. I still am trying to figure proper setup because I've grown to lOve the Miles Davis Trumpets highs - extended, detailed but totally chill! No sibilance whatsoever.

What else? Bring it on.

I'm nit-picking about the mids and actually like'em quite a bit. In a way they make strings (I listen mostly to classical these days and I'm a hobby violinist) sound very inviting and non intrusive, almost a bit like a mute is being used on the violins (very "Hi-Fi", very rich and lush). To make a long story short I find the mids a bit unrealistic but very (perhaps too) enjoyable. That's why my Carbo Tenore gets most of my listening time these days which is a lot less flattering to strings. Overall, the Tenore is of course much inferior to the DN2K, but I choose it for its outstanding tonality nevertheless. For anything but classical I always go for my DN2K.

I just love the sub bass (and upper bass and treble!) of the DN2K. As I said, the sub bass is somewhat shy but still has tremendous authority in its projection. Every time I hear it I feel "Woooooow, give me moooooore!", which I think sums up the characteristics of the sub bass pretty well, if I may say so myself.

What I love about the DN2K treble is that its super resolving, extremely well (not too) separated (so easy to discern, upper mids never bleed in), and very little or no sibilance and never harsh. It may not be the most accurate treble I've heard but definitely the most enjoyable. In comparison the treble of the most accurate phone on the planet (as far as I know), Ety's ER-4PT can be quite piercing with some recordings. The DN2K never is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back