Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Apr 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,171 of 1,320
I'm nit-picking about the mids and actually like'em quite a bit. In a way they make strings (I listen mostly to classical these days and I'm a hobby violinist) sound very inviting and non intrusive, almost a bit like a mute is being used on the violins (very "Hi-Fi", very rich and lush). To make a long story short I find the mids a bit unrealistic but very (perhaps too) enjoyable. That's why my Carbo Tenore gets most of my listening time these days which is a lot less flattering to strings. Overall, the Tenore is of course much inferior to the DN2K, but I choose it for its outstanding tonality nevertheless. For anything but classical I always go for my DN2K.

I just love the sub bass (and upper bass and treble!) of the DN2K. As I said, the sub bass is somewhat shy but still has tremendous authority in its projection. Every time I hear it I feel "Woooooow, give me moooooore!", which I think sums up the characteristics of the sub bass pretty well, if I may say so myself.

What I love about the DN2K treble is that its super resolving, extremely well (not too) separated (so easy to discern, upper mids never bleed in), and very little or no sibilance and never harsh. It may not be the most accurate treble I've heard but definitely the most enjoyable. In comparison the treble of the most accurate phone on the planet (as far as I know), Ety's ER-4PT can be quite piercing with some recordings. The DN2K never is.

Hey man, you familiar with the Aurisonic Rockets by any chance? If so, what's your take comparing it to the dn2k? Mids difference?

Should my budget open up, I'd love to compliment my gear with something that is laid back (especially the highs) while remaining detailed overall. I got too admit, I'm a sucker for smoothness.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,172 of 1,320
I'm nit-picking about the mids and actually like'em quite a bit. In a way they make strings (I listen mostly to classical these days and I'm a hobby violinist) sound very inviting and non intrusive, almost a bit like a mute is being used on the violins (very "Hi-Fi", very rich and lush). To make a long story short I find the mids a bit unrealistic but very (perhaps too) enjoyable. That's why my Carbo Tenore gets most of my listening time these days which is a lot less flattering to strings. Overall, the Tenore is of course much inferior to the DN2K, but I choose it for its outstanding tonality nevertheless. For anything but classical I always go for my DN2K.

I just love the sub bass (and upper bass and treble!) of the DN2K. As I said, the sub bass is somewhat shy but still has tremendous authority in its projection. Every time I hear it I feel "Woooooow, give me moooooore!", which I think sums up the characteristics of the sub bass pretty well, if I may say so myself.

What I love about the DN2K treble is that its super resolving, extremely well (not too) separated (so easy to discern, upper mids never bleed in), and very little or no sibilance and never harsh. It may not be the most accurate treble I've heard but definitely the most enjoyable. In comparison the treble of the most accurate phone on the planet (as far as I know), Ety's ER-4PT can be quite piercing with some recordings. The DN2K never is.

Aligns exactly with my impression of DN2K.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,173 of 1,320

Hey man, you familiar with the Aurisonic Rockets by any chance? If so, what's your take comparing it to the dn2k? Mids difference?

Should my budget open up, I'd love to compliment my gear with something that is laid back (especially the highs) while remaining detailed overall. I got too admit, I'm a sucker for smoothness.

I'm afraid not!

The DN2K will not disappoint!

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,174 of 1,320
But previous impressions are also affected by the DAC and AMP "signature". Sinergies are very important. You are stating impression without talking a bit about your setup before the IEMs. But with what you say I can tell that a very smooth treble amp could not go well with DN2K because of the treble on them already being a little bit smooth. Or a brighter DAC could be good on them, but also depending on the amp effect. And especially, the signature of your preference.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,175 of 1,320
Aero Dynamik - my bad. Yep. They are smooth as butter on a baby's bum!

The sweetness in mids comes out across my gs4 phone, be it with poweramp (slight hissy pissy) and the so underrated and unheard noozy+ rewire-pro.

Started plugging it in my ihifi 770, and it sounds totally clean (slight lean towards "clinical")... but splendid with jazz recordings!

Re: DN2000 has got to be my most impressive set regarding versatility! From classical to uber death metal, the detailed layout is FANTASTIC!

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,176 of 1,320
Hmm.. Don't flame me guys but.. how do these compare to the Heir 4.ai? *runs

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,178 of 1,320
But previous impressions are also affected by the DAC and AMP "signature". Sinergies are very important. You are stating impression without talking a bit about your setup before the IEMs. But with what you say I can tell that a very smooth treble amp could not go well with DN2K because of the treble on them already being a little bit smooth. Or a brighter DAC could be good on them, but also depending on the amp effect. And especially, the signature of your preference.

Truth! I've been matching this with my xuelin ihifi 770, along with the MSEQ>BASS eq setting the sub and overall bass capacity just blows up like a deep and wide barrel! The impact, decay and reverb off of the bass becomes alive, like listening to an amphitheatre reverb (for bass and all instruments. Sub bass textures just become overall tangible. Again, the end to end extension is impressive on the dn2k when you know how to work with synergy with tips and daps (source)!

May 12, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,179 of 1,320
i just received my dn2000, the resolution is out of this world.  the mids is also very nice.  However the bass is a little lite.  Compare to the ortofone eq5, dn2000 has better treble but i prefer the eq5 for the mids but less detail, so therefor is more forgiving with bad recording.  Bass wise, both are about the same, maybe a tad more on the eq5.  Dn2000 is definitely much more comfortable to wear.  Build quality is much better on the eq5, it's build like a tank.  cable noise on the dn is near zero while there is some on the eq5.  dn overall audio score is 9.  while eq is 8.8.  

May 13, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #1,180 of 1,320
scratch the above statement....bass is very good now that i found the right tips.  I guess i didn't get a good seal before.  only problem is comfy tips keep getting stuck in my ear with rings on.  so i will use comfy tips without rings for now.  It sound much more full now that i have a good seal.

May 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,181 of 1,320
  scratch the above statement....bass is very good now that i found the right tips.  I guess i didn't get a good seal before.  only problem is comfy tips keep getting stuck in my ear with rings on.  so i will use comfy tips without rings for now.  It sound much more full now that i have a good seal.

Did you mean Comply tips? Although they are really comfy haha.. 

May 17, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,182 of 1,320

I assume you might be referring to my impressions? Any impressions that I share are based on listening through my "Objective DAC"/"O2 AMP" which are considered neutral. Anyway, I don't pay too much attention to sources these days (as long as they hold a reasonably level of quality) as the differences they make don't really affect the basic characteristics of IEMs which is what I focus on. In my experience sources make minor differences, but don't really affect the basic signature of an IEM. However, those slight differences can of course mean a lot to certain individuals.

May 27, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,184 of 1,320
I assume you might be referring to my impressions? Any impressions that I share are based on listening through my "Objective DAC"/"O2 AMP" which are considered neutral. Anyway, I don't pay too much attention to sources these days (as long as they hold a reasonably level of quality) as the differences they make don't really affect the basic characteristics of IEMs which is what I focus on. In my experience sources make minor differences, but don't really affect the basic signature of an IEM. However, those slight differences can of course mean a lot to certain individuals.

the sound stage shrinks considerably using the iHifi 770 dap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back