Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,141 of 1,320
  Yeah my darn wallet has been anorexic ever since lol.

I know what you mean about the 2000J but I am just too curious. I am still a little disappointed they are sticking with the conventional wire, would be so much better to have to freedom of choice and obvious savings if the wire breaks outside of warranty.  

No idea why they want to do that either. But then again, I haven't seen anyone complain about the cable breaking so it seems pretty durable.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,143 of 1,320
About the DN2KJ`s cable:  one improvement will be that the cable is 4 conductor all the way, so reterminating for various balanced outputs is simple.  

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,144 of 1,320
  For you tip-rollers here`s a couple of pics.  From left to right is a Spinfit, a Spiraldot and an Ortofon, all size M.  

All three are great, but look at that spinfit, ready to do its bobble-head routine !

d

BTW, if any of you feel the Spinfits have a narrow bore, I suggest you take a look at the Shure silicons : pin-holes!  I couldn`t stand them on sight, didn`t even listen to them. . .   
For me, due its better, deeper seal, Spinfits provide the most sound of any tip I`ve tried, including the crazy gaping-wide Dunu tips...  

I was using Ortofons, until it dropped while I was taking out of my bag, and I lost it on the streets :'( 

Now, I'm looking for tips. Either I buy back Ortofons(which they costs a bomb), or Spinfit or SpiralDots?

Are you able to tell me the difference since you have SpiralDots and Spinfit? Soundstage, imaging, bass, etc.

Thank you.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,147 of 1,320
they were not recabled. I got my impression free as they are added into the purchase price, I also had to send in my Dunu's as they had to make a template. The snugs just fit over the bores and body and imho the sound is the same 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,148 of 1,320
Sorry no I meant I personally was considering getting them re cabled with a hybrid wire. But that's really good to hear it hasn't affected the sound.

I'm still on the fence as wether to customise my current Dunu which I love or wait for the new 2000J.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,149 of 1,320

I was using Ortofons, until it dropped while I was taking out of my bag, and I lost it on the streets :'( 

Now, I'm looking for tips. Either I buy back Ortofons(which they costs a bomb), or Spinfit or SpiralDots?

Are you able to tell me the difference since you have SpiralDots and Spinfit? Soundstage, imaging, bass, etc.

Thank you.

More than anything, the whole tip experience is the most individual-specific, I find.  Ortofons and Spirals are good, but for my ears and head, nothing comes close to the Spinfits. For me, Spinfits insert a little farther than other tips, seal better and stay in longer/more comfortably than other tips.  They are great with heavier IEMs like FX850 or Dunu DN-2000.  Because of the better seal, more of the musical information coming from the driver can be appreciated : I hear more bass with better bass details, wider soundstage, etc.  Other people have reported a loss of bass on some IEMs.  It`s really individual.  I recommend just trying them - I can supply them, and Otofon, Spirals, whatever. 

Just make sure you do not push Spinfits too far on the nozzle.  The last 1/3 of the tip needs to extend past the end of the nozzle, because there is flexible joint in there and the tip can rotate around the axis of the nozzle, conforming to the curves or your ear canal.  If you push them all the way on and block this joint, they will be similar to other silicon tips.  When installed correctly, the entire bell-shaped silicon shell which touches your ear canal should bend and rotate freely.  With some tips, like Fitear, the nozzle is so short there`s no way to push them on too far.  But with others, like DN2K, i have to used the spacers to keep the tips on the end of the nozzles. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,150 of 1,320
More than anything, the whole tip experience is the most individual-specific, I find.  Ortofons and Spirals are good, but for my ears and head, nothing comes close to the Spinfits. For me, Spinfits insert a little farther than other tips, seal better and stay in longer/more comfortably than other tips.  They are great with heavier IEMs like FX850 or Dunu DN-2000.  Because of the better seal, more of the musical information coming from the driver can be appreciated : I hear more bass with better bass details, wider soundstage, etc.  Other people have reported a loss of bass on some IEMs.  It`s really individual.  I recommend just trying them - I can supply them, and Otofon, Spirals, whatever. 

Just make sure you do not push Spinfits too far on the nozzle.  The last 1/3 of the tip needs to extend past the end of the nozzle, because there is flexible joint in there and the tip can rotate around the axis of the nozzle, conforming to the curves or your ear canal.  If you push them all the way on and block this joint, they will be similar to other silicon tips.  When installed correctly, the entire bell-shaped silicon shell which touches your ear canal should bend and rotate freely.  With some tips, like Fitear, the nozzle is so short there`s no way to push them on too far.  But with others, like DN2K, i have to used the spacers to keep the tips on the end of the nozzles. 

I second Spinfits tips. I recently lost my ortofon tips and had to find a replacement so might as well try different tips.

Bought Spintips from Jaben, and bam. It sounds better than Ortofon(previously I thought it was the best). Now, Spintips are the best. Better separation, slightly slightly better details and more prominently, deeper bass. Bringing out the best of DN2000.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,151 of 1,320
  Impressions was looking into these and getting them re cabled as well ?? I was afraid of a small bore out because of the dramatic effects on sound. 

I found this pic from a Thai shop - I`d love to know how they did it.. disassembly I guess. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,153 of 1,320
I actually bought a set of Male/Female mmcx and a gorgeous carbonfiber 2.5TRRS plug to DIY my DN2K : just chop the cables below the earpieces, about the Y-split and solder in mmcx... 

Haven`t got around to that yet. . . .    

I`ll repeat that Dunu informed by Email that the J will have a 4-conductor cable all the way to the plug, so re-termination will be much simpler.

d

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,154 of 1,320

I found this pic from a Thai shop - I`d love to know how they did it.. disassembly I guess. 

Well when trying to put the ear wing things on I accidently pulled the back off leading me to ask a member of the trade to see if he could do it, simple answer yes just hesitant to drop any money with the newer model round the corner.   

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,155 of 1,320
  Well when trying to put the ear wing things on I accidently pulled the back off leading me to ask a member of the trade to see if he could do it, simple answer yes just hesitant to drop any money with the newer model round the corner.   

Yes, I feel the same way.  But now you`ve got me curious: how was the back attached?  Glue?  Do you think it would be easy to remove the other one as well? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back