Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Jan 26, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,009 of 1,320
I have a question to those who have already owned these for a while - how is the quality holding up? I loved the sound of my DN1K, but the cable broke at the y-splitter not even 2 months after I got them, and I was pretty careful with them. I'm looking for a replacement now, and naturally the DN2K seem like a good choice sound wise, since I enjoyed the predecessor, but I want to make sure that they won't break as easily.

Also, how pronounced is the gold color? In some pictures it looks rather faded and bronze, while in others it looks really... bling-y.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,011 of 1,320
  Well, I’ve been listening critically to IEMs for some years now and I’ve had a few TOTL phones ("FitEar ToGo! 334", "AKG K3003i", "EarSonics EM6", "Etymotic Research ER-4") and I feel my hearing abilities have developed quite a bit during these years, and I am naturally (as most of us are) more sensitive to and more critical to what I hear in the mid-range than to what I hear in the bass and treble.

This is quite natural as our hearing works the best in the mid-range. That’s why we feel we have “super hearing abilities” with V-shaped sound signatures where we hear bass and treble louder and mid-range with lower volume than in reality. It is very exciting in the beginning but exhausting in the long run.

The DN-2000’s mid-range didn’t sound perfectly right to me during my first session; very good indeed but not just as satisfying as the bass and treble. I felt it was a bit recessed and having a slight veil. Especially reverb and decay in voices felt a bit smothered and distant. It just didn’t excite me enough, and when A/Bing with my Carbo Tenore I unfortunately felt it was confirmed. This was disappointing as I had hoped that it would only be a matter of too tired ears, but it wasn’t.

Anyway, as I’ve been doing this for a few years now I had a gut feeling this mid-range problem wasn’t necessarily in the phones themselves but in the ear tips. Taking a closer look at the stock 2K tips - which I was using - I realized they were covering a fair bit of the nozzle. Now, as I’ve had some experience of this from the FitEar ToGo! 334, I slipped on the ear tips with the widest bore I have, which are my Skullcandy tips which I used very successfully with my ToGo 334. (Skullcandy’s ear tips are excellent). The wide Skullcandy ear tips made a very substantial and very crucial difference. It opened up the entire phone. Not only did it fix the slight problems with the veil and recess I heard in mid-range but improved the SQ of the entire phone, making it noticeably more open and airy. I can’t stress this enough; ear tips with a wide opening on the DN-2000 seem to make all the difference!

This reminds me of the AKG K3003i with its various filters to tweak its sound signature. The DN-2000 silicone stock tips remind me (in a fundamental way) of the K3003’s “reference filters” which most K3003 owners seem to prefer but that I feel subtract from the K3003’s full capability. I always preferred the filters that were named “high boost”. These filters weren’t filters in the conventional sense but just a grill for protection from ear wax. So, maybe the narrow bore on the DN-2000’s silicone stock tips isn’t a coincidence but a very carefully thought out and tested method to tune the DN-2000 for “reference sound”. However, if you ask me it has not been a successful method as the silicone stock tips definitely smothers the DN-2000.

Except for the stock foam tips, all supplied stock silicone tips suffer from a too narrow bore. I must say I’m surprised the DN-2000 isn’t delivered with at least one set of silicone ear tips with a wide opening. It’s a shame really! Fortunately the foam tips have a wide bore and sound pretty much the same as my Skullcandy tips. Well, perhaps a tad bit less airy (or it’s just in my mind). Unfortunately the foam tips are difficult to put on and take off the nozzle as they seem to be a bit small. Also, the foam seems to expand too fast giving you only a few seconds to put them into your ears before it’s too late. I would guess Comply’s 500 foam tips series would be a better option.

Now that I’ve found the right ear tips for my DN-2000 I feel more and more excited about it. It does so many things right. I will probably want to write about it in a bit more detail in the future, but so far I’ve noticed first rate:
  1. separation/layering,
  2. resolution (nuances are easier to pick up than ever before),
  3. overall note weight (very full, the Tenore is rather lightweight in comparison),
  4. 3D sound stage (which I usually have a hard time to perceive at all),
  5. forward projection (sound mostly in front of you, but a bit tip dependent).

I must also mention - again - that the DN-2000’s treble has a very special place in my heart right now. It is just magic! What else? Hm… Need to do some more listening which I right now really can’t get enough of with the DN 2000.

If I get the opportunity I will eventually compare the AKG K3003i and the DUNU DN-2000. From what I can remember of my now sold K3003 I’m not absolutely convinced I will prefer the K3003i.

Figure 1: DUNU DN-2000 stock 2K tips​
 ​
Figure 2: Skullcandy "Titan" silicone tips​

Can vouch what Aero Dynamik is saying. After buying the Skullcandy Titan and using its wide-bore tips the sound really does open up and sound more airy. It is similar to the sound signature achieved with the foam tips but with a bit more clarity  (which I find irritate me and are hard to insert).

It makes me appreciate the DN-2000 even more and am in awe of their capability.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,012 of 1,320

Well, I’ve been listening critically to IEMs for some years now and I’ve had a few TOTL phones ("FitEar ToGo! 334", "AKG K3003i", "EarSonics EM6", "Etymotic Research ER-4") and I feel my hearing abilities have developed quite a bit during these years, and I am naturally (as most of us are) more sensitive to and more critical to what I hear in the mid-range than to what I hear in the bass and treble.

This is quite natural as our hearing works the best in the mid-range. That’s why we feel we have “super hearing abilities” with V-shaped sound signatures where we hear bass and treble louder and mid-range with lower volume than in reality. It is very exciting in the beginning but exhausting in the long run.

The DN-2000’s mid-range didn’t sound perfectly right to me during my first session; very good indeed but not just as satisfying as the bass and treble. I felt it was a bit recessed and having a slight veil. Especially reverb and decay in voices felt a bit smothered and distant. It just didn’t excite me enough, and when A/Bing with my Carbo Tenore I unfortunately felt it was confirmed. This was disappointing as I had hoped that it would only be a matter of too tired ears, but it wasn’t.

Anyway, as I’ve been doing this for a few years now I had a gut feeling this mid-range problem wasn’t necessarily in the phones themselves but in the ear tips. Taking a closer look at the stock 2K tips - which I was using - I realized they were covering a fair bit of the nozzle. Now, as I’ve had some experience of this from the FitEar ToGo! 334, I slipped on the ear tips with the widest bore I have, which are my Skullcandy tips which I used very successfully with my ToGo 334. (Skullcandy’s ear tips are excellent). The wide Skullcandy ear tips made a very substantial and very crucial difference. It opened up the entire phone. Not only did it fix the slight problems with the veil and recess I heard in mid-range but improved the SQ of the entire phone, making it noticeably more open and airy. I can’t stress this enough; ear tips with a wide opening on the DN-2000 seem to make all the difference!

This reminds me of the AKG K3003i with its various filters to tweak its sound signature. The DN-2000 silicone stock tips remind me (in a fundamental way) of the K3003’s “reference filters” which most K3003 owners seem to prefer but that I feel subtract from the K3003’s full capability. I always preferred the filters that were named “high boost”. These filters weren’t filters in the conventional sense but just a grill for protection from ear wax. So, maybe the narrow bore on the DN-2000’s silicone stock tips isn’t a coincidence but a very carefully thought out and tested method to tune the DN-2000 for “reference sound”. However, if you ask me it has not been a successful method as the silicone stock tips definitely smothers the DN-2000.

Except for the stock foam tips, all supplied stock silicone tips suffer from a too narrow bore. I must say I’m surprised the DN-2000 isn’t delivered with at least one set of silicone ear tips with a wide opening. It’s a shame really! Fortunately the foam tips have a wide bore and sound pretty much the same as my Skullcandy tips. Well, perhaps a tad bit less airy (or it’s just in my mind). Unfortunately the foam tips are difficult to put on and take off the nozzle as they seem to be a bit small. Also, the foam seems to expand too fast giving you only a few seconds to put them into your ears before it’s too late. I would guess Comply’s 500 foam tips series would be a better option.

Now that I’ve found the right ear tips for my DN-2000 I feel more and more excited about it. It does so many things right. I will probably want to write about it in a bit more detail in the future, but so far I’ve noticed first rate:
  1. separation/layering,
  2. resolution (nuances are easier to pick up than ever before),
  3. overall note weight (very full, the Tenore is rather lightweight in comparison),
  4. 3D sound stage (which I usually have a hard time to perceive at all),
  5. forward projection (sound mostly in front of you, but a bit tip dependent).

I must also mention - again - that the DN-2000’s treble has a very special place in my heart right now. It is just magic! What else? Hm… Need to do some more listening which I right now really can’t get enough of with the DN 2000.

If I get the opportunity I will eventually compare the AKG K3003i and the DUNU DN-2000. From what I can remember of my now sold K3003 I’m not absolutely convinced I will prefer the K3003i.

Figure 1: DUNU DN-2000 stock 2K tips​
 ​
Figure 2: Skullcandy "Titan" silicone tips​

Can vouch what Aero Dynamik is saying. After buying the Skullcandy Titan and using its wide-bore tips the sound really does open up and sound more airy. It is similar to the sound signature achieved with the foam tips but with a bit more clarity  (which I find irritate me and are hard to insert).

It makes me appreciate the DN-2000 even more and am in awe of their capability.

Great to hear that you were able to share my experience! 
etysmile.gif
 Having heard (and owned) quite a few TOTL IEMs I almost can't get over how good the DN-2000 is. I had another hybrid for a long time, the AKG K3003i, which for me was an absolutely fantastic phone. However, despite both of them being hybrids their signatures are quite different; the K3003 being more neutral and brighter sounding. As I've sold my K3003 I can't do any direct comparisons, but from memory I prefer the signature of the DN-2000 that I find sounding with more authority and weight.

For good and for bad I find the DN-2000 to be the most source/recording dependent phone I've had. I've mentioned it before but recordings with too much dynamic range compression don't work very well at all with the DN-2000, whereas other, more or less non compressed recordings, can sound absolutely magical. In my book this is evidence the DN-2000 is a top quality phone.

To my surprise I also feel the DN-2000 is the most resolving phone I've heard. Notes that I previously only heard sounding at the same frequency as they were decaying - for example from a percussion instrument - now can sound at a slightly other frequency while decaying. It's difficult to describe and may even sound as there's something wrong with the DN-2000, but I hope what I mean comes across. Resolution is the word!

My only small complaint is that at times and with certain recordings I would want the mid-range to be a tad more forward (like +1.5 dB or so), but it's definitely no big deal and I can easily live without it.

Another complaint (while I'm at it) is that the signature takes one minute to get used to. The first minute I sometimes feel there's an ever so slight veil in the mid-range but after a minute or so it's gone. It isn't really a complaint as I believe this is a side effect of its signature that gives the DN-2000 it its weight and authority.

EDIT: Just had a listen to the DN-2000 and didn't suffer one bit from what I described in the last paragraph. So, probably just a matter of brain burn in.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #1,013 of 1,320
I just got this, Ordered through MP4NATION. One word "AWESOME". I'm not an expert i'm just learning. Based of the recommendation over here I got this. I'm just loving it. Exactly what I was looking for. I was spectacle spending so much (Yea for me it's a lot to spend on IEM) because i haven't heard much about this brand like the main stream ones. But i'm so glad I got this. Highs, mids, low everything just enough. Vocals are so clear and just incredible. Soundstage is wide enough to immerse in music and forget the outside world. I seriously can't explain what i'm feeling right now. Maybe because I'm not used to high end IEM, btw my source is iBasso DX-50. Anyways thanks for the great review djvkool based on his recommendation and comments here I decided to go for this one.     

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,014 of 1,320
  I just got this, Ordered through MP4NATION. One word "AWESOME". I'm not an expert i'm just learning. Based of the recommendation over here I got this. I'm just loving it. Exactly what I was looking for. I was spectacle spending so much (Yea for me it's a lot to spend on IEM) because i haven't heard much about this brand like the main stream ones. But i'm so glad I got this. Highs, mids, low everything just enough. Vocals are so clear and just incredible. Soundstage is wide enough to immerse in music and forget the outside world. I seriously can't explain what i'm feeling right now. Maybe because I'm not used to high end IEM, btw my source is iBasso DX-50. Anyways thanks for the great review djvkool based on his recommendation and comments here I decided to go for this one.     

If this is your first hi-fi IEM you just won the jackpot! Congrats and enjoy! 
etysmile.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,016 of 1,320
  If this is your first hi-fi IEM you just won the jackpot! Congrats and enjoy! 
etysmile.gif

I think so lol .. I was using Sony XBA H1, I don't know if it counts as Hi-Fi IEM. 
L3000.gif
 Like people were saying I could can understand recording defects. It's not very forgiving to MP3 (anything below 320), but it sound awesome with FLAC. Luckily most of my collections are FLAC
+1.....and a nice wolfy DAP.
wink.gif

Yup DX-50 is a beast with the wolf 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,017 of 1,320
  Great to hear that you were able to share my experience! 
etysmile.gif
 Having heard (and owned) quite a few TOTL IEMs I almost can't get over how good the DN-2000 is. I had another hybrid for a long time, the AKG K3003i, which for me was an absolutely fantastic phone. However, despite both of them being hybrids their signatures are quite different; the K3003 being more neutral and brighter sounding. As I've sold my K3003 I can't do any direct comparisons, but from memory I prefer the signature of the DN-2000 that I find sounding with more authority and weight.

For good and for bad I find the DN-2000 to be the most source/recording dependent phone I've had. I've mentioned it before but recordings with too much dynamic range compression don't work very well at all with the DN-2000, whereas other, more or less non compressed recordings, can sound absolutely magical. In my book this is evidence the DN-2000 is a top quality phone.

To my surprise I also feel the DN-2000 is the most resolving phone I've heard. Notes that I previously only heard sounding at the same frequency as they were decaying - for example from a percussion instrument - now can sound at a slightly other frequency while decaying. It's difficult to describe and may even sound as there's something wrong with the DN-2000, but I hope what I mean comes across. Resolution is the word!

My only small complaint is that at times and with certain recordings I would want the mid-range to be a tad more forward (like +1.5 dB or so), but it's definitely no big deal and I can easily live without it.

Another complaint (while I'm at it) is that the signature takes one minute to get used to. The first minute I sometimes feel there's an ever so slight veil in the mid-range but after a minute or so it's gone. It isn't really a complaint as I believe this is a side effect of its signature that gives the DN-2000 it its weight and authority.

EDIT: Just had a listen to the DN-2000 and didn't suffer one bit from what I described in the last paragraph. So, probably just a matter of brain burn in.

Following a longer listening time with the Titan tips, I've noticed that the sound becomes a bit more diffuse (spread out over a bigger distance). This is really a double edged sword because you would want this for grand, dynamic songs which already have an airy atmosphere but not so much of a blessing for when you want an intimate listening experience where you want mids to have focus and not spread apart and diffuse/airy

As well as this the titan tips/ foam tips make the sound a bit drier due to greater levels of transparency than the normal stock tips. Argh! Always compromises to be made! 

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #1,018 of 1,320
Just joined this club, as my IEMs are starting to arrive for the sub-$400 universal IEM shootout I'm planning. Got the ATH IM70 and Aurisonic Rockets a few weeks ago, Zero Audio DuoZa and JVC 850 also arrived earlier this week. DN2000 finally got here today, and hopefully Fidue A83 will be here next week together with my EarWerkz Supra. Already owned the Phonak 232 and Hifiman RE600 so I may throw them in as well, and if the CypherLabs C6IEM arrives in time (hopefully Massdrop delivers- I'm a first-timer), they'll have a spot too.

Lots of burning in, then listening, to do. Not necessarily in that order :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,019 of 1,320
I have a question to those who have already owned these for a while - how is the quality holding up? I loved the sound of my DN1K, but the cable broke at the y-splitter not even 2 months after I got them, and I was pretty careful with them. I'm looking for a replacement now, and naturally the DN2K seem like a good choice sound wise, since I enjoyed the predecessor, but I want to make sure that they won't break as easily.

Also, how pronounced is the gold color? In some pictures it looks rather faded and bronze, while in others it looks really... bling-y.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :)

I've only had my 2ks for a few weeks so I can't help you there, but keep in mind that they're not an upgrade to the DN-1000. If you like the sound of the DN-1000 that does not necessarily mean you will like the DN-2000 as much or more.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,020 of 1,320
Just joined this club, as my IEMs are starting to arrive for the sub-$400 universal IEM shootout I'm planning. Got the ATH IM70 and Aurisonic Rockets a few weeks ago, Zero Audio DuoZa and JVC 850 also arrived earlier this week. DN2000 finally got here today, and hopefully Fidue A83 will be here next week together with my EarWerkz Supra. Already owned the Phonak 232 and Hifiman RE600 so I may throw them in as well, and if the CypherLabs C6IEM arrives in time (hopefully Massdrop delivers- I'm a first-timer), they'll have a spot too.

Lots of burning in, then listening, to do. Not necessarily in that order :)
lol, i recognise you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back