Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Jun 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #676 of 1,320
Just got them in today. Really liking them!
You really need to use the foam tips. It made SUCH a big difference. However, the foam tips that came with them seems to be a bit too small for my ears. Are there any foam tips that fit with the dn2k? I tried using my GR07 MK2 foams, but the hole is a bit too small.

As for impressions:
Definitely love the 3D esque sound these give off.
Compared to my GR07 MK2 (which unfortunately broke), I'd say overall this has a bit less bass, though the sub bass seems to be roughly equal. Mid bass is definitely a bit less though. However, the bass accuracy seems to be better.
In terms of the mids and treble, I think these outdo the GR07 MK2 by a fair margin, especially the treble. The treble seems much clearer.

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #677 of 1,320
  Just got them in today. Really liking them!
You really need to use the foam tips. It made SUCH a big difference. However, the foam tips that came with them seems to be a bit too small for my ears. Are there any foam tips that fit with the dn2k? I tried using my GR07 MK2 foams, but the hole is a bit too small.

I need to know this too. Or any silicon tips that are good because the stock foam tips are not going to last forever.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #679 of 1,320
The ortofons tips and spinfit tips are pretty good.

Hey, I see that you have the Shure 535 Ltd Edition with a nice after market cable. I know the sound of this earphone exactly because I used to have one, only sold it because of financial reasons. So how would you compare the sound of the DUNU with the sound of youre 535 Ltd? Could you be so kind and write a view lines for us?

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #680 of 1,320
Hey, I see that you have the Shure 535 Ltd Edition with a nice after market cable. I know the sound of this earphone exactly because I used to have one, only sold it because of financial reasons. So how would you compare the sound of the DUNU with the sound of youre 535 Ltd? Could you be so kind and write a view lines for us?

Sorry but I haven't heard the DN2000. Only auditioned the DN1000. So couldn't help you out there. Mids and vocals wise, I think SE535Ltd with Fiio cable is pretty stellar.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #681 of 1,320
Sorry but I haven't heard the DN2000. Only auditioned the DN1000. So couldn't help you out there. Mids and vocals wise, I think SE535Ltd with Fiio cable is pretty stellar.

This leads me to a good point, would anyone here been interested in an online store by which you could rent out headphones and iems ? I'm thinking this is a little way off just yet but maybe a thread could be started where by which other head fiers could potential rent out their own gear, I understand there are inherent risks to this but if there was a way to minimise this risk how many of you would be interested ?

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #683 of 1,320
Hi all
I picked up some new tips on ebay and after a week of trying them out they sound very much like the foam tips with better isolation with my big head needed the lg size. So if you have $3 and care to try them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pairs-Black-In-Ear-Earphone-Headphone-Soft-Silicone-Earbud-Bud-Tips-Pads-Case/251411407827?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%
Good luck

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #685 of 1,320
Just got mine in today! So, how do they compare to my Sony Fontopia MDR-EX70LP earbuds from 2001? Some thoughts:

First, the foam tips are the only ones that are usable. Everything else is beyond useless. However, the earbuds have a tendency to fall out of my ear while leaving the foam inside.

Once I settled on the foam tips and no spacers, I was able to EQ it to what I felt was an overall balanced sound.

Am I hearing details that I didn't hear before? Yes, but it's mainly in the form of signal noise. Some very quiet details have the tendency to come out from hiding. However, the majority of songs cause the two sets of earphones to sound identical.

Remember, I'm comparing a heavily EQed DN2K to a heavily EQed Fontopia. The two earphones are nowhere near similar.

There's no shortage of bass capability in these phones, but you have to be willing to EQ to get it. While the bass is tight and fast, the Fontopia phones are equally so.

I would say the DN2K offers a slight upgrade in resolution in the mid-high range, compared to my EX70. That's it.

I don't think this in insult to the DN2K, it's just a testament to how amazingly capable the EX70s are. Too bad they were discontinued eons ago.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #686 of 1,320
  Just got mine in today! So, how do they compare to my Sony Fontopia MDR-EX70LP earbuds from 2001? Some thoughts:

First, the foam tips are the only ones that are usable. Everything else is beyond useless. However, the earbuds have a tendency to fall out of my ear while leaving the foam inside.

Once I settled on the foam tips and no spacers, I was able to EQ it to what I felt was an overall balanced sound.

Am I hearing details that I didn't hear before? Yes, but it's mainly in the form of signal noise. Some very quiet details have the tendency to come out from hiding. However, the majority of songs cause the two sets of earphones to sound identical.

Remember, I'm comparing a heavily EQed DN2K to a heavily EQed Fontopia. The two earphones are nowhere near similar.

There's no shortage of bass capability in these phones, but you have to be willing to EQ to get it. While the bass is tight and fast, the Fontopia phones are equally so.

I would say the DN2K offers a slight upgrade in resolution in the mid-high range, compared to my EX70. That's it.

I don't think this in insult to the DN2K, it's just a testament to how amazingly capable the EX70s are. Too bad they were discontinued eons ago.

Care to share your EQ settings for both iems?

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #687 of 1,320
I'll see if I can get some screen captures later.

Anyway, the more I listen to them, the more vast the difference is becoming. It's interesting how they started out sounding like a 10-20% downgrade from the EX70s, then they were a 5% upgrade, then 10%, and now they sound like a 30% upgrade.

Another couple of points I'll mention:

The foam tips are amazing at preventing sound bleed. I can turn up the music almost intolerably loud, and nobody standing 5 feet from me can hear anything. This is fantastic for the office.

The earphones themselves have plenty of volume. This means I can turn the preamp setting down to zero to maximize dynamic range, and even very quiet CDs from the 80s have more than enough volume range for me.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #689 of 1,320
Wow. Not enough is being said about the isolation in these things.

I have them turned up full volume, which is intolerably loud for listening for more than a few seconds. If I cover the tips with my thumbs, I can't begin to hear any sound until they're about 6 inches from my ears. Never again will anyone hear what I'm listening to.

I'll also mention something about the loudness which, while technically being a positive, results in a negative. In order to listen comfortably, I need to turn down the volume compared to my other earphones. My Galaxy S3, though it contains a great quality DAC, only outputs 16-bit sound. Since I'm taking 16 bit sound, lowering the volume dramatically, and playing it on a 16 bit device, the end result is more like 8 bit sound. Very fuzzy and grainy sounding.

In other words, for general listening on my Galaxy S3, my old EX70s actually deliver better resolution at a comfortable volume than the DN2Ks deliver at a comfortable volume.

And THAT is why people with audiophile quality headphones buy audiophile quality players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back