Dumbest Person(s) of the Day...
Aug 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
Link: Family video of child driving prompts Quebec probe by Reuters: Yahoo! Tech

Text: Family video of child driving prompts Quebec probe

TORONTO (Reuters) -

A YouTube video showing a 7-year-old boy at the wheel of a sport utility vehicle -- with his family cheering him on -- has prompted an investigation by Quebec police and family services, police said on Tuesday.

The video, apparently shot by the boy's father from the SUV's passenger seat as the boy drives and his mom and siblings watch from the back seat, was brought to the attention of Quebec Provincial Police on Monday, Sergeant Chantal Mackels said.

"We now know who the person is," Mackels said, noting charges are still being worked out.

Finding the family wasn't much of a challenge, given the father's enthusiastic narration of the video, including their location in Quebec and the boy's first name.

The woman in the back seat also calls out the father's name, apparently urging him not to distract the child. During the video, the father calls out to "Samuel" to smile for the camera. The boy, chewing gum, obliges.

The father also panned the camera into the back seat of the vehicle to show the mother, with an unrestrained young girl on her lap, and an older boy.

Police are considering both criminal charges and traffic violations and have also contacted the province's department of child protection to investigate the family, Mackels said.

And while she's seen cases of children driving under the legal age of 16 years before, Mackels said she's never come across a case where the evidence is supplied online, by the perpetrator's proud father.

"Like this, on YouTube? No. This is a new one for me," Mackels said.

This is a lesson on what not to post on Youtube.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to check if I was listed.

Phew.

Damn, you spoiled tomorrow
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"We now know who the person is," Mackels said, noting charges are still being worked out.

Bet his auto insurance agent knows him too.

Right. This family's fun has just begun regarding existing insurance. 15 minutes of fame is a double-edged sword...

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Seven is a bit young, but my uncle got his first car at 13. I drove tractors around a ranch around the same age and my grandfather let me drive out in the desert at 15. I do think seven is too young, but driving motorized vehicles before you're 16 isn't that big of a deal if it's supervised and done somewhere with little or no traffic.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seven is a bit young, but my uncle got his first car at 13. I drove tractors around a ranch around the same age and my grandfather let me drive out in the desert at 15. I do think seven is too young, but driving motorized vehicles before you're 16 isn't that big of a deal if it's supervised and done somewhere with little or no traffic.

Aside from the fact that we do not really know if it was in the parking lot or on the streets with others on the road, pretty much the entire family was in the SUV, so one false move and there could have been a lot of blood on this kid's hands. Pardon the pun, but I was dying when I thought of it. Somebody stop me
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Where was he driving? I had friends who operated tractors at 9. I learned to drive standard transmission at 13, and often drove to check on our cattle herd well before I was legal - automatic transmission at 7 wouldn't be too surprising as long as there is no other traffic and dad is ready with his foot hovering over the brake.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 13
A bit to drive a car eh!
Guess the parents fail miserably!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back