dudes, audiophiles =(
Jun 11, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #31 of 51
yeah, nothing like the scent of fresh ******** in the morning.

so yeah, this dead horse has obviously been beaten, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be processed, eaten, crapped out, and beat again. :p

i've got some woodworking tools; anyone want some coco bolo knobs with rhodium in the middle? that would probably look a lot sexier than beech and bronze.

snake oil is bad enough, but at least the snake oil could try to look appealing. i really doubt jena wire is worth $27483209482390482903 but it sure as hell looks sexy. or maybe someone at alembic should make a speaker:

13332_bodyfrontL.jpg

[size=xx-small](note: alembics aren't snake oil.)[/size]

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm too poor to own a doorknob (pic).

I don't see the problem with this knob because it has C37 lacquer which should be good for resonance. But it's cheaper to make your own wooden case and treat it with the C37. The casing will not stop EMI but wrapping ERS Paper around the wooden case should work.

A metal case is bad for resonance but manufacturers use it to reduce EMI, then the manufacturers spend time in tuning the resonances and then they boost up the price 10 times higher.
Screwing the PCB into wood should work better than metal, treating the wood with C37 lacquer will make it even better. But the real question is, will there be a difference if you are already using vibration isolation feet to prevent the vibrations from entering the case.

uhhh... i hope that's sweat on your crotch
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #36 of 51
Man, to be fair, that Alembic could use some new knobs. Also, to be fair, Alembics really don't have a sound most people find appealing. Not to knock Alembic, as they're extremely well built, but that bass tone went out of style in 1982.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, to be fair, that Alembic could use some new knobs. Also, to be fair, Alembics really don't have a sound most people find appealing. Not to knock Alembic, as they're extremely well built, but that bass tone went out of style in 1982.

yeah, i'm not a super big fan, but that bass i posted is just gorgeous imo. balance k body/wineburst finish is just really awesome looking. besides, i'd rather have a fretless bass if i was going to have a bass; glissando for life.

edit:

Quote:

Its not sweat, is just the "reinforced crotch". Its 2 layers of fabric on the crotch, those are biking pants folks.

i see, i see. that's not very extreme.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd rather have a fretless bass if i was going to have a bass.

IF? Man, everyone should have a bass. On top of that, everyone's bass should be fretless. Mine sure is, and it's awesome.

Jun 11, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IF? Man, everyone should have a bass. On top of that, everyone's bass should be fretless. Mine sure is, and it's awesome.

You only have one bass?!

blink.gif

wink.gif

Fretless basses are great, but they're not the right sound for many applications.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The knob is made to be used with THIS, so you'll need two knobs.

Ouch! With two of them, that's almost as much as I have invested in my whole headphone system!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back