Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,386 of 2,672
GZ37 is a good rectifier with a bit soft and neutral sound when compared to 422A and U52. It depends on synergy with other components of the chain but I find it somewhat boring. On the other hand, the 52KU is an excellent tube comparable to other TOTL rectifiers with good dynamics and balanced sound.
Thank you for sharing your experience with using the Cossor 52KU. It just seems like its quite a rare (and expensive) tube that not many people have used in their audio gear compared to some of the other more desirable and easily obtainable ones. Its definitely helpful to know that you would consider it near the top of the list as far as rectifiers go within your system as I've really not heard much feedback regarding this tube here or on other forums online. Would you consider it warmer/cooler or more/less resolving compared with say something like the more well-known and widely available NOS vintage Mullard GZ34 (any version you might be familiar with)? If you might have tried the Mullards, would you consider the KU52 a superior tube that is closer in performance to the 422a or U52?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #2,387 of 2,672
Thank you for sharing your experience with using the Cossor 52KU. It just seems like its quite a rare tube that not many people have used in their audio gear compared to some of the other more desirable and easily obtainable ones. Its definitely helpful to know that you would consider it near the top of the list as far as rectifiers go within your system as I've really not heard much feedback regarding this tube here or on other forums online. Would you consider it warmer/cooler or more/less resolving compared with say something like the more well-known and widely available NOS vintage Mullard GZ34 (any version you might be familiar with)? If you might have tried the Mullards, would you consider the KU52 a superior tube that is closer in performance to the 422a or U52?
I have the metal base GZ34 and it is one of my best love rectifier indeed. GZ34 metal base is having the best dynamics and darkness background, and is legendary at its own league. As comparison I would say that KU52 is sounding similar to U52 so if you can get one at good price, you will not regret on this.

20221223_164354.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,388 of 2,672
I have the metal base GZ34 and it is one of my best love rectifier indeed. GZ34 metal base is having the best dynamics and darkness background, and is legendary at its own league. As comparison I would say that KU52 is sounding similar to U52 (KU52 is structurally identical to U52, and produced by MOV for Mullard / Cossor) so if you can get one at good price, you will not regret on this.

20221223_164354.jpg
Hey really nice lineup you have there. Can you share some impressions about the WE 422A?

I discovered one and are unsure if the Elrog 5U4G might also be a good opportunity?
🙏

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #2,389 of 2,672
Hey really nice lineup you have there. Can you share some impressions about the WE 422A?

I discovered one and are unsure if the Elrog 5U4G might also be a good opportunity?
🙏
I have not used Elrog 5U4G but seems that many users such as @ColSaulTigh likes it a lot. I only has experience on Elrog 300B of which I think it is the best 300B, no matter current production or NOS.

422A is a very powerful and dynamic rectifier with typical "Western Electic" taste. However, it needs more time to heat up to optimal performance. Besides, if you are unlucky you may come across a noisy 422A quite easily.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #2,390 of 2,672
I have not used Elrog 5U4G but seems that many users such as @ColSaulTigh likes it a lot. I only has experience on Elrog 300B of which I think it is the best 300B, no matter current production or NOS.

422A is a very powerful and dynamic rectifier with typical "Western Electic" taste. However, it needs more time to heat up to optimal performance. Besides, if you are unlucky you may come across a noisy 422A quite easily.
Hey thanks for your impressions 🍀

Yeah I know @ColSaulTigh loves the ERs ✨💡
So you would rate the ER300B over the WE 300B? Maybe that can be deduced for the 5U4Gs also then as there is a certain “house sound” to the tubes?

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #2,391 of 2,672
Hey thanks for your impressions 🍀

Yeah I know @ColSaulTigh loves the ERs ✨💡
So you would rate the ER300B over the WE 300B? Maybe that can be deduced for the 5U4Gs also then as there is a certain “house sound” to the tubes?
Yes. I once had current WE300B and still have 2 pairs of 60s vintage WE300B. I also has a pair of Takatsuki and out of these, I love the Elrog 300B most.

Dec 23, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,392 of 2,672
Thanks for some context, are you aware if this is due to shipping or something else?
Before you send the tube back, try changing the fuse on the Stratus to a slow-blow, 2.5A. When I first got the Elrog it blew the fuse on my Stratus as well, and it seems that this is a relatively common occurrence. Donald has OK'ed this higher spec fuse with Elrog tubes. Since switching to a higher rated fuse I haven't had any issues.

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #2,393 of 2,672
Before you send the tube back, try changing the fuse on the Stratus to a slow-blow, 2.5A. When I first got the Elrog it blew the fuse on my Stratus as well, and it seems that this is a relatively common occurrence. Donald has OK'ed this higher spec fuse with Elrog tubes. Since switching to a higher rated fuse I haven't had any issues.

Thanks for the tip, I chatted with Donald the day it blew my fuses and he suggested the same. I promptly ordered more fuses and included a 2.5A fuse which also blew. Basically blew 4 fuses, if they were those audiophile $100+ fuses I would have been quite pissed. The defective Elrog is already heading across the border and PCX have confirmed they will rest the replacement they are sending out.

I appreciate you sharing your experience, I have a hunch there are more of us who experienced this and not sharing as it’s a negative experience. To be Frank I don’t understand why folks tend to not be as forthcoming on small stuff like this, especially when it’s on an expensive rectifier tube.

While some may think I am harping on this a bit too much, I am and that is because attached is what my fuse looked like after it blew with the Elrog. So think of how this $0.50 saved my precious Stratus, and to think that this is normal specs or caused from a rough shipping is suspect to say the least.

I am looking forward to the replacement when it arrives, and hoping it has a place along with my U52, EML Mesh, and Sylvania VT rectifiers.

Attachments

• AA61AAD2-8D78-4A3E-BC65-12A519887D1D.jpeg
    AA61AAD2-8D78-4A3E-BC65-12A519887D1D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 23, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #2,394 of 2,672
Thanks for the tip, I chatted with Donald the day it blew my fuses and he suggested the same. I promptly ordered more fuses and included a 2.5A fuse which also blew. Basically blew 4 fuses, if they were those audiophile $100+ fuses I would have been quite pissed. The defective Elrog is already heading across the border and PCX have confirmed they will rest the replacement they are sending out.

I appreciate you sharing your experience, I have a hunch there are more of us who experienced this and not sharing as it’s a negative experience. To be Frank I don’t understand why folks tend to not be as forthcoming on small stuff like this, especially when it’s on an expensive rectifier tube.

While some may think I am harping on this a bit too much, I am and that is because attached is what my fuse looked like after it blew with the Elrog. So think of how this $0.50 saved my precious Stratus, and to think that this is normal specs or caused from a rough shipping is suspect to say the least.

I am looking forward to the replacement when it arrives, and hoping it has a place along with my U52, EML Mesh, and Sylvania VT rectifiers.

Vacuum tubes are consumables. And therefore, they eventually fail. And the fuse is also a consumable. In fact, it is designed to fail in order to protect your amp from failed tubes. So I believe it is wise to keep a supply of fuses on hand just in case. :)

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #2,395 of 2,672
Vacuum tubes are consumables. And therefore, they eventually fail. And the fuse is also a consumable. In fact, it is designed to fail in order to protect your amp from failed tubes. So I believe it is wise to keep a supply of fuses on hand just in case. :)
Yeah I know what the fuse is supposed to do, and thank god it did. I have 120 fuses now, just in case all those consumables fail me again and yes I am being a bit sarcastic here.
This hobby is a luxury, please don't mistake my push back for experiences as being naive around what is consumable and what is not. I am not bitching, or complaining, rather sharing my experience so others are aware. Others may disagree about how I am approaching it, and that is their prerogative.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,396 of 2,672

Why at this price point are the Elrogs not tested (QC) before shipped to consumers with expensive gear?

Sounds like a high stakes Roulette game - not sure why anyone would take this gamble with top of the line gear if common occurrence ??

360_F_508767551_RKjtq7t0Lnoaw1Bq9V3qlUjhRu3QqsEJ.jpg

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #2,397 of 2,672
Why at this price point are the Elrogs not tested (QC) before shipped to consumers with expensive gear?

Sounds like a high stakes Roulette game - not sure why anyone would take this gamble with top of the line gear if common occurrence ??

They are tested from Elrog before shipped to dealers. You might ask Chris or Tania if PCX can perform extra testing before they're dispatched.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,398 of 2,672
Personally, I have never had a single problem with NOS or used rectifiers that are up to 80 years old and shipped in from all over the world, even in a way that is not fully 'dampened'. I find it absolutely astonishing that an Elrog rectifier should arrive not working or in a condition that could damage the amplifier. I believe that the quality control system should and can improve. I will wait a few months before buying a pair of the much vaunted Elrog 5U4G!

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #2,399 of 2,672
To chime in, I've been vocal about the issue I had with a defective Elrog 274B. Bear in mind that the Elrog use a different filament made from Thoriated Tungsten instead of the standard oxide coated filaments. These filaments are thinner and more susceptible to damage during shipping.

Remember, these come from Germany to your distributor, then from the distributor to you. Lots of handling before they reach you.

I'm addition, Elrog is a reborn company. I'm it's previous life they did suffer from quality control issues. Since Thomas z Meyer bought the company, QC has greatly improved. They are aware of the reputation they need to overcome and go out of their way to resolve any issue. There is no extraordinary failure rate, just a couple of bad tubes. PcX was great about swapping my tubes, and I've enjoyed mine ever since.

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #2,400 of 2,672
Unfortunately, sometimes it is just pure bad luck. I have bought hundreds of tubes from all over the world, from the states, Europe, China to Japan, etc. Almost all are packed very well except at one time, a pair of 9 pins miniature is packed in a simple letter envelop with no bubble wrap, they turned out ok...go figure...lol

WISH ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS n A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back